A few questions
1.To Jarulf:
I read your guide recently.I'd like to know how much Diablo and Hellfire games have you played in total.And:could you in future make the language of your guide more user-friendly-sometimes I read it like a book on Physics(sick!) But I'm awed-quite an awesome work done.Perhaps you're the one who programmed Diablo after all...
2.To whom it may concern:
While playing I lost 2 quite beautiful sets(the second was lost while retrieving the first one)Could some of you help me with an advance of how to retrieve lost things
And:could someone give me a link to Varaya and Khan's Diablo 1 Mods? I'm plaing their Middle Earth Modification and I would like to receive some more info for this mod.
Thank you in advance.
Quote:While playing I lost 2 quite beautiful sets(the second was lost while retrieving the first one)Could some of you help me with an advance of how to retrieve lost things

Claudio's Page has a few item-recovery tactics: http://www.claudiospage.com/itemreco.htm
You seem to be pretty new here. Welcome to the LL! (sheesh, these days I sound like a welcoming committee =P). Post politely and intelligently and you'll fit right in here. ^_^

As to your questions, I'll try to make some answers, as I doubt Jarulf will reply. He doesn't seem to post much these days as far as I've seen.

1. Yes, his guide is amazing. Around these parts we like to call it, "The Bible". =P I really doubt he has any plans for future revisions of the Guide, as it's been about 2 years IIRC since version 1.61 arrived. And no, he didn't help program Diablo; sadly, Blizzard didn't have the luck or intelligence to hire him. Maybe if they had, it would be less buggy a game. ^_^

2. As to item recovery in Diablo 1, people have written entire guides on how to accomplish that! My advise is to go SLOWLY through the dungeon. Use Telekinesis to get items back if you can. If you don't know Telekinesis, you have a few options still. Always open a Town Portal when you arrive on a new level, about a screen away from the stairs. Later, re-open one far from the stairs. Then, if you get killed, come down by whichever one is farther from your killers. If you can't handle them without your gear, then try luring them away to one of the entrances, then coming back down by the other one and sneaking back to your gear. Hope this helps!

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
1.To Jarulf:

Jarulf does lurk the forum occasionally. Unfortunately, the last thread addressed directly to him was horribly insulting. I wouldn't be surprised if that poisoned the waters.

I'd like to know how much Diablo and Hellfire games have you played in total.

Could anyone answer that question? :p

If the question's purpose is to discover how much playing he needed to do to write his guide, much of the raw data is from code reading. So, while game-playing had a part, code reading gives you the real dirt. Also, his guide is a compilation of the discoveries of many curious individuals (note the Acknowledgements section). He didn't reveal the mysteries of Diablo all by himself, but he played no small part to say the least. ;)

could you in future make the language of your guide more user-friendly-sometimes I read it like a book on Physics(sick!)

That's why people've made item price calculators and other tools. But keep plugging away. The understanding is worth the effort. If you can't understand a section, you can always ask here.

could someone give me a link to Varaya and Khan's Diablo 1 Mods? I'm plaing their Middle Earth Modification and I would like to receive some more info for this mod.

I have DView output (monster stats, item lists, etc.) of ME if that's the sort of information you're looking for.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Quote:I have DView output (monster stats, item lists, etc.) of ME if that's the sort of information you're looking for.
Yes,that's the point.That info would be VERY useful for me,plz.
EDIT: Erased message. Data way outdated. DViewed most recent VKME exe. I'll link to the new info in a reply to this message.
This data is a bit more fresh than the texts I posted earlier. ;)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Quote:And:could you in future make the language of your guide more user-friendly-sometimes I read it like a book on Physics(sick!)

Well, considering that Jarulf is not a native English speaker, and that he is a chemical engineer, it makes sense that his style approximates something above the intellectual level of an X-men comic book, and that you might find his prose style slightly different from what you are used to.

Here's a suggestion for you:

Go through his entire guide, page by page, and rewrite the text, not the tables, in what you think would be more easily readable prose. Then submit it to him as your offering to help make his guide more accessible. In doing so, you would of course have to digest all of the information and comprehend it so that you could re write clearly and concisely.

On second thought, considering the posts you have written, you may not have the skill in writing for that endeavour. Skill in written form is no trivial matter, and his demonstrated skill in having done so in a second language is nothing short of exemplary.

Jarulf has done far more than enough work on his own time, and maybe some of us recognize that it is worth a little time to read through his prose more than once to try and understand what he is saying if we did not get it the first time.

Is his guide how I would have written it, word for word? No, but then again, it is called

Jarulf's Guide. :)

It should indeed be in his voice.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
First of all,I would like to thank LemmingOfGlory for the data he supplied me with.It was really the data I needed badly.
As for rewriting the guide-my English is too sloppy to do it.Nevertheless,I want to apologise for any mental harm inflicted-I didn't mean it,seriously :)