Hell Difficulty
I just got my 2nd character in to Hell. My first was a zon, but I have not played Hell level with her yet. All my other characters are in NM.
I have been playing Act I in hell with my barb and let me just say, it is truly is what the name says.......

HELL :unsure:

When your dealing with monsters that are AE, Cursed, LE and immune to something, it is truly hard.

In the Crypt alone, there was 4 uniques, all AE, Cursed and something else. :huh:

This may come as common knowledge for some of you and think duh :P , but I was blown away.

I salute the Hardcore players who have completed all 3 levels without dying. The ones that do it solo are the true dominators of Diablo B)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
**Paul**
I will make weapons from your bones--Smith
"I am pond scum"--Bull Shannon from Night Court
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
Act 1 is pretty straight forward. Wait until you try The Ancients in Hell. The worst odds I've had there is 2 Amazons doing them on "Players 8".

Don't worry about Act 1. The fun really kicks off once you reach the Chaos Sanctuary and Durance 3 can yield some interesting times as well.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I actually wonder how this is going to be handled in the upcoming patch... It's said to mean harder hell difficulty, but I hope that won't be real bad news for single players. The problem with hell being easy now, is that many Battle.net players are using twinked characters and cookie cutter builds. :( I'd personally like to see some enhancement combos on bosses nerfed to prevent cheap one hit kills like MSLE, and general monster difficulty increased. If there's one thing I don't like, is difficulty through cheap kills like to that one, undead stygian dolls and suicide minions exploding in my face, or fire enchanted monsters with tons of life that explode. It's not that I don't like to see difficulty, but I just don't prefer gameplay where monsters are dealing 117 dmg, 114 dmg, 4,943 dmg, 212 dmg, ... :) Then I'd rather see: 227 dmg, 208 dmg, 740 dmg, 309 dmg...
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Deadlyman, you are absolutely right. Hell is HELL.

I recently got my eighth character to Hell difficulty, and it still blows me away. The shock of having a character cruising along, enjoying some of the higher-level skills, Nightmare Diablo and Baal were tough but you beat them, then BAM! Hell hits you like a brick wall.

Hell is truly where you find out how well you built your character.

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Yes hell is...you know what it is...
My Werewolf Druid is now lvl70 in act2 Hell ready to fight Duriel. Im doing about 1500-4000 Dmg and it seems to be enough, unless i run into some Stoneskin+PI or Multishot+LE. These guys are real a pain in the ass and i truly hope that 1.10 will remove MSLE Beast's from the game...Extrastrong + Cursed are very though opponent's too.

I have only 7% Lifeleech and 5% Mana, from String of ears and manaleech from Manald heal. My question is, is the Mana/Lifeleech Halved or something in Hell? i hardly get any lifeback when i attack. Shoul i get more Lifeleech?
[Image: 1048873792431.jpeg]
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
One more Soldier reporting Sir -
I've served my time in Hell
Yes, Maximus, leech is halved in hell difficulty.

This isn't a direct equation applied to your leech, but a side effect because of the 50% global physical resist in hell.

You'll also notice that any stone skin monster in hell is physically immune.
Call HCGoodbye(gl,hf,dd)
*dahak_i
USEast HC
Actually leech is cut in half in NM, and then effectively cut in half again in Hell thanks to the 50% physical resist band aid.

So, leech is effectively 1/4 in Hell compared to Normal.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I just don't like stoneskin, and PI together on any of the high council. Many times you simply cannot kill them, due to their ability to instantly heal themselves. Sometimes I've burned through 5-6 quivers of arrows only to give up in disgust.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

And zero on PI's. It makes the Bloody foothills rather difficult for those who rely on life, or mana leeching. You have to be judgicious in your mix of leeching from the green guys, to kill the brown guys...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I haven't been keeping up on Diablo news for the past 4-5 months or so. It seems that 1.10 will be coming out shortly, or that's what I hoped 6-8 months ago....

Anyway, is there any news that Blizzard will be putting in random immunities into hell instead of being able to count on CI in the Ancients Passageway thingy and PI in the Bloody Foothills? So now a sorc or zon might actually have to play through instead of just skipping over whole areas? I also hear that they are adding a binch of new items and changing a bunch also. Is there any word on skill changes for the classes? Would the AS or CS be the place to find all this info?

And to the poster that wished Blizzard would get rid of one hit kills from monsters....just be glad they don't cast spells that you have to either save or die at :P
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Maximus,Jun 2 2003, 05:33 PM Wrote:My Werewolf Druid is now lvl69 in act2 Hell ready to fight Duriel. Im doing about 1000-5000 Dmg and it seems to be enough, unless i run into some Stoneskin+PI or Multishot+LE.
I wish. I've only taken two characters into Hell, and I just started playing again a few days ago in anticipation of 1.10. My current 65th Assassin does about 250-400 with each hand, and she's in Act 3. I can only dream of 1000-5000 damage ;)

The other character was a classic Avenger Paladin. He made it to Act 4 Hell at level 49, but hit a brick wall there, and I stopped playing. That was a long time ago...
Maximus.

That penguin gif is very cute, but it's also 430189 bytes! :angry:
That means your signature alone constitutes a load time of a minute and a half for some dial up users.

Can you remove the image please?
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I have a fast internet connection, as well as a fast processor, so I have no trouble loading the image. But the animation slows way down the mouse wheel scroll speed of my computer when the penguins are onscreen, and quickly becomes very annoying.

- Dagni
Most of the bad guys in Act 4 Hell are lvl 90. At 49, you are suffering from a distinct lack of everything in fighting a level 90 monster. I try to hold off and work Nightmare until my char is mid 60's before moving on the Hell, and well, it's still hell. You need to plan in advance for the new resistance deficiency, and the fact that the monsters are +30 lvls higher. 1/4 leach and the global 50% PI, as well as most unique and super unique bosses have 1 or 2 elemental immunities, along with a curse.

Tonight while playing Hell, I accidently activated 3 packs of monsters with 3 bosses, 1 had conviction, 1 was PI with holy freeze, and 1 was LEB. I hate it when that happens.

I'm learning :) The hard way I'd say. That Paladin was my first real effort to play through the harder difficulties, so I really didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I also suspect he died with astonishing frequency, but it's been so long, I barely remember. My Assassin is doing a bit better, but now at 65, I've got 8 skill points sitting around, and I'm not sure where to put them. She was my first, so I put points into a lot of stuff I don't use now, though no traps, since I knew I wanted to do martial arts. One sec, lemme pull her up...

Looks like 1 point into each skill in the MA tree, 20 Phoenix Strike. 1 point into each SD skill except Mind Blast, 20 Claw Mastery, 5 Weapon Block, 5 Burst of Speed. Dunno where to dump the others.

She can do players 8 Nightmare Act 5 with pretty impressive speed (to me anyway ;)), but Hell is rough (without players anything for that matter). Many bosses and their packs, I simply avoid - is that normal for most? I couldn't kill the Countess come to think of it, I just skipped that quest. Right now I'm just pushing as far as she can go, though I doubt she'll do any better in act 4 than my ill fated Paladin did.
Victrix,Jun 3 2003, 03:39 AM Wrote:My Assassin is doing a bit better, but now at 65, I've got 8 skill points sitting around, and I'm not sure where to put them.
The skill synergy should help this :)
"Hydrogen and stupidity are the two most common things in the universe" - Harlan Ellesen
"I beat you with a stick!" - ChromaticOnion
Ah, my MA assassin "Kia_Kitana" was in the same fix. It was rough until I found some claws with decent damage, and built up a decent collection of elemental damage charms. It also drove me to my first foray into the trade channels to trade perfect gems for Bartucs.

Now whenever I find nice damage claws in a hell game I go find a lvl 30 something assassin to donate them.

Quote:i hardly get any lifeback when i attack. Shoul i get more Lifeleech?

As a wearwolf you have build-in life leech. Just remember to ferral rage to a full ball, then switch to fury. Now all it needs is a single ferral hit every ~30 seconds and voila, 4-40% life leech, depending on your slvl.

Hope this helps

Booky
Just a nit. Feral Rage lasts 20 seconds.

Once you get a full spark spinning, switch to Fury for the big damage+multihit+leech, and just remember to switch to Feral Rage for a hit every 15 seconds or so to keep it charged. Don't wait for 20, since if you underestimate and let it expire, you have to start all over again.

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Off topic, but those darn penguins caused me some major problems after they were cashed by my browser this morning. When my computer tried to access that GIF it would spin up my hard disk and freeze my system until I pulled the power plug. There was a redudant CRC check error of some kind that was reported, and I don't know if that was the trigger of this. Anyway, I couldn't load my Win2k user profile upon restart, so I had to go into safe mode and delete that GIF from the command prompt. Then I found out that Win2k had backed up my old profile but it wouldn't let me restore it. Turns out that "ntuser.dat" got corrupted too and all my personal settings were effectively lost. My bookmarks, start menu, and all the rest are back in their default alphabetical orders (after I copied them over manually) and I'll have to sort through them again some time. The biggest loss are my registry bookmarks which may take some time to rebuild.

On the bright side, I've learned to backup my user profiles now. You still have my thanks for removing that GIF from your signature though, Maximus :lol: