Major Bug: Sorceress stuck !
Again a bug reported by me (correct me if this has been here for a while):

Innocent Sorcie Blackjade lvl 46 is getting well on act 4 nightmare, fast-casting Frostnova and Teleport and some Meteors here and there, when suddenly she's stuck. She is moving, and can cast spells, but she won't really move, just show the animation, and the spells won't hurt any monsters. Once she moves, she keeps running or walking(depends on what your standart is) until she casts something, normal ceasing to push buttons won't stop her. She can cast Meteor without casting delay (a few times per second) but only on herself, not where the mouse is pointing. Again, no damage to monsters. It is not desynch, I waited till I was on the verge of death to resynch, and: Mercenary Barbarian is doing full damage!!

I'm stuck that far, it only helps to quit the game, because I don't get free anymore and the monsters hurt me/ would kill me.
This is happening to me every 20 minutes when I play. It's extremely anoying. :angry: :angry:
I really would appreciate your help.

PS: Going to post screenshots of some 3 or 4 or 5 Meteor Burning Flames stacking and being very bright because I failed to catch 2 Meteors on one screen (perhaps it's not possible), just to show that I can cast them very fast when I stick.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
You'd better post your equipment setup with a very specific description of your tactics in game. There are a few, "Help, I'm Stuck!" bugs that range from amusement value to outright frustration.

1.) The infamous weapon switch bug
2.) The Leap Attack stuck when merged and stuck when targeted bugs.
3.) The "this inaccessible place that you just accessed" (stuck in a strange place) bug.
4.) Various, "What the hell is this Claw Viper knockback & Cold doing now???" bugs (frozen solid Barbarian being one outcome I've seen).

Sometimes you can unstick your character, depending on the bug. Other times you can TP back to town and wait until the character can move again (good time for putting the coffee on).
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Ok. Here we go:

Lvl: 46

Char: Sorceress

Diff: Nightmare, Act 4, River of Flames

Spells: Frostnova lvl 20(22); Meteor lvl 9(14); Teleport lvl 1(3); Static Field lvl 1(3)

Merc: Act 5 Normal Barbarian, lvl 46, 370-580 Dam., 75 resistall, -10% damage received

Tactics: Barb tanks, I freeze/chill the mobs so it would go easier 2 or 3 times with FN, then cast Meteor until every monster is dead. In a
tough fight, I have to put a few FN casts in. In an easy fight, FN alone is sufficiant. Teleport saves lives and static is for bosses.

Gear: Spectral Shard, TalEth-Armor, Tarnhelm, Manald Heilung, rares+magicals.

Resists: Fire : 75%; Ice : 30%; Lightning :-16%; Poison : 60% (Nightmare)

Life: ~360
Mana:~620

Others: 45% overall fast run, 75% overall fast cast, Frostnova Damage: ~70(30 Mana), Meteor Damage: ~600(23 Mana)

I don't think it is one of the bugs you mentioned. I neither switched weapons nor did I leap(!!!) nor did I access strange places, nor are there (in 1.09d) any claw vipers in act 4.
I don't know what to do - it really spoils my fun! Every 20 minutes I have to drop out of the game. I cannot unstick my character in any other way, at least I have not found out one yet...
I think TP back to town did not work either...

:( :( :(

Help!

Greetings, Fragbait

EDIT: a friend of mine told me that his frenzy barb was experiencing exactly this phenomenon on act 3 nightmare. Though he said it went away after some time and in the next act. Unlike me :(
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
So, here are the shots: (had to create a yahoo account first and a geocities page ;) )

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

First is Blackjade casting Frostnova without doing damage and burning mana;
Second is her casting Meteor without doing damage and burning mana and even without casting delay, while she is looking in a totally different direction, stacking approximately 8 or 9 Meteor animations;
Third is a shot that shows her being stuck and taking some serious damage while her Merc Barb isn't stuck at all.

So - can anybody please help me? If not, this is likely to have me end my Diablo II career, because having to drop out of the game at least every 20 minutes is hilarious. The last time I tried to play, I got stuck immediately, rigth after the first monsters had shown up...

:( :( :(

Greetings, Fragbait

Edit: Dammit, it doesn't work (yet). I will get on this tommorrow.

Edit: now this should work properly.

- Bruce Lee

*push*

Sorry 'bout that, but it's urgent! :( :(
PS: screenie link above.

Greetings, Fragbait

Edit: Sorry, bad form here. Would some of the almighty admins please delete this post? I apologize to all lurkers who felt annoyed.

- Bruce Lee

Fragbait,Jun 4 2003, 03:25 AM Wrote:*push*

Sorry 'bout that, but it's urgent!   :(  :(
PS: screenie link above.

Greetings, Fragbait
Hi - its still considered bad form to bump a post even if you apologize for doing so.

To the question at hand - and given that I can't see your Screenies - I would have to guess that you're casting too fast and are creating server de-synch. This is just a guess however. I'll await wiser, more knowledgeable heads to examine the matter.
I've read your post a couple timesand I still fail to see why this can't be explained by desync.

Whenever I am in desync my mercs still attack an do damage as normal (Can't remember off hand if my minions/pets/summons do or not.) and everything seems exactly as you describe it.

Here are some hints for beating desync.

1.) If your have a mercenary move to the spot where he appears on your map. This puts you in roughly the same position as the server thinks you are in.

2.) If you have no merc in a multiplayer game, ask a friend to go to the place on the map where you appear...then you go there and it should snap back to normal.

3.) Cast a town portal and go to it on the map (I just thought of this but I am not sure if it would work as I can't remember if TPs appear on the map...)

Like I said everything you said sounds like desync.
spells/attacks don't do damage, invisible monsters hurt you, no spell timers (BTW, hydras are very fun with desync even though they don't do damage ), etc. etc.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
tal125,Jun 5 2003, 03:16 AM Wrote:To the question at hand - and given that I can't see your Screenies - I would have to guess that you're casting too fast and are creating server de-synch. This is just a guess however. I'll await wiser, more knowledgeable heads to examine the matter.
The screenies can be accessed from here. Fragbait: Geocities is a pain for external linking. You can make a page for that directory called index.html and slip the inmage links in there to control which images you want people to see.

tal125: I don't think desynch is the answer, but the screenies don't give much to go on. :unsure:
1) I can't move. As I wrote, the screen shows the animation, but I won't move. She would run for 10 minutes and still be in the same place.

2) I'm talking about single player. Not sure if I already mentioned this.

3) I cannot cast the spell town portal (well, it shows the casting animation, but burns no mana and gives no town portal as result)

Furthermore: monsters are not invisible to me, I can see them, hear them and everything else is normal - except of me being stuck and not dealing any damage.

BTW: What is desynch exactly? I mean, can it occur in single player? What causes it?

@all: sorry for the bad screenies. Seems like I have to get used to the way geocities lets one access uploaded files. :(

Thanks for your input, but I still can't play DII so far. If only I could get to act 5, my friend told me that when he experienced this, changing an act ended the effect - dunno why, though.

Oh Well... Don't want to give up one of my favourite games. Would mean I had to return to Diablo / Hellfire B)

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Fragbait,Jun 5 2003, 05:37 PM Wrote:BTW: What is desynch exactly? I mean, can it occur in single player? What causes it?
Desynch, in a nutshell, is when you on a client machine fall out of step with the server machine you are connected to elsewhere. A common example is when you run past an obstacle, turn a tight corner around it abd keep on going. On your machine everything looks as it should do, until you come to a black wall where the map simply terminates in front of you or you try and click on something only to find nothing happens. Unbeknownst to you, the server machine you are connected to tells a different story. From the server perspective you failed to negotiate that corner and are stuck back there still.

To re-synch yourself with the server you need to backtrack, find the spot where you got stuck and then give any obstacles a wide berth so as not to get caught on it again. Using a mercenary's 'radar blip' on your map is a good way ot determining your character's real approximate location.

People in Single Player games don't need to worry about it.
Hail WarBlade,

I just read this on the Arreat Summit:

Quote:The Arreat Summit is maintained by the Blizzard Headquarters Web Team:

GFraizer(Nebu) - News/Content/All Non Graphic/Layout Updates
MHein(IndoFlaven), TPark(Warblade) - Graphics/Layout/HTML
Blizzard North: Peter Hu - Gameplay Information/Formulae/etc
Blizzard North: BRoper(Doomhammer) - Story

Are you, like, a Blizzard employee or is that some other guy?

Note: You don't have to answer this... B)

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

No, I'm not.

Besides. I've got a bigger "B". B)
B)

-no text-

- Bruce Lee

You can desynch in single player, the game is still client server, it is just that you are running the client and the server on the same machine. Sure it is very rare, and it usually takes a level loading area (edge of a map) and some other fun stuff, but I have black walled in single player.

As for the getting stuck, I almost only ever see that in the maggot lair anymore, and most of the time I can TP out of it, sometimes I can't cast the TP, and need to quit.

Fragbait> Since this is single player, what patch version are you running, and are you running any mods?
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
"If only I could get to act 5, my friend told me that when he experienced this, changing an act ended the effect - dunno why, though."

Have you tried going back to Act III (or II or I)? If changing an Act clears up the problem, then I would imagine returning to a previous Act would be the same as getting to the next one. Why not try it and see?

Other than that, I have no idea what could be going on.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
This is single player, patch 1.09d and not running any mods.

I don't know what was happening, but I somehow did a very quick Diablo run and managed to not get stuck all the time. I went on to act 5, and played there for another 10 minutes, bloody foothills, defeating 'Shenk the Overseer' and getting the next waypoint.
I did not get stuck. ( :) ) Maybe the bug is gone for good, but I'll be sceptical until I can play several hours in a row one day.

I have to thank everybody for his input. Gotta love this community :lol: .
Looking forward to getting a chance where I can help, too.

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee