Why do people choose necros as goldfinders? (nt)
nt
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Necros are often used for gold finders because (argueable point), they are one of the safest classes to play in hell diff without good gear on. To gain the most gold find possible, a character often has to equip sub standard items.

A good necro player can kill effectively in low player count hell games even without equipment at all. Also, with his minions sheilding him, he is often easier to keep alive than a sorc. This matters alot in HC. Most of the gf necros I've seen have been in HC, and I'ce seen alot of gf sorcs in SC.

Also, it takes a slightly different type of player than the common masses of b.net to even bother with a gold find character, as it does does not have immediate gratification(as in mfing or cowing). The gf players are more the ones who will take the time to craft their own uber gear(which takes forever), and often are the type of player to not go the cookie-cutter route. Thus the gf necro.

Of course this is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone. I personally have never made a gf character, and I don't expect to.

EDIT: D'oh! Put mf necro where I meant to put gf necro.

Good point Brista, I forgot to mention one of the major advantages of the necro class: you have more time to pay attention to the details, like picking up gold, then other classes have; your minions will keep fighting and killing/sheilding even if you stop to pick up some gold.
I think that's a reasonable summing up

The only thing I would add is that with your Necro you don't actually need to do very much. I tend to just run around opening chests and picking up gold, occasionally recasting a minion if one or two die. If a few go down then I'll have to pay a little attention to the monsters but you generally don't have to do this

No other build is quite so effective at safe mass killing with such a light demand on your attention

They've found MSLEs while I've been wandering around with 15% lightning resists and I've simply backed off and spammed a few replacements while they kill him

(Although don't all rush out and get yourselves killed now :ph34r: )
And what necro build would be best? The ole' Revived/IM? What golem?
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
I think me and most of the other players have done it have chosen Thorns and Amp

Might and Amp is also a possibility but I think that that build requires you to pay marginally more attention to what's going on

Max Skeleton Mastery

Don't fall behind the clvl/mlvl curve too much

Bang on as many plus skills as you can

I got +15 skills on one of mine with still space for Wealth, Chance guards and Goldwrap
When I first read this, I thought it said Goldfingers. What type of build would that be?

I guess because of the minions to destract the enemy. I don't bother with gold. Magic items normally sell for more than any gold drop out side Act 1/Normal.
People at the cutting edge have reported drops of over 100K (single drop). Add to that that monsters can drop multiple piles

Vendors never pay more than 35K for an item

Also gold takes up less inventory space :)
I get drops up to 1000. Yay me.
With decent goldfind equipment it's easy to get 50k+ piles (my record was on my mixxed gf/mf horker barb *8x,xxx gold - was a while ago*....but a necro is in the works for pure gf....). A rather cheap version of a goldfinder necro (the one I'm going with...it's a Zoomancer...leaning towards Lord of Mages kinda):

Skills:
Max Skeleton Mastery
10 Golem Mastery
1 summon resist
1 in Fire Golem
Max Bone Spirit
1 in all curses
Rest of points in skeleton/skeleton magi/revive group.

Merc:
Thorns Merc
Crown of Thieves (15%ias, +dex jewel)
Ethereal Spire of Honor (Amn)
Wealth Sharktooth Armor

Equip:
Tarnhelm (+1 skills, mf & gf)
Wealth armor (I have a few choices, will probably just make a new one out of Hard Leather armor *low stat req*, 100% mf, 300% gf)
Goldwrap (30% mf, 7x%gf)
Perf Chanceguards (40%mf, 200%gf)
Infernostride boots (%gf - don't remember the %)
Dual Dwarf star rings (100% gf each....so 200% gf there)
Rhyme Shield (25% mf, 50% gf)
Alibaba (% based on lvl, will probably LemLem)
goldfind/mf charms (just a mix of them......will probably toss in summon gc's, and resistance sc's)

it's easy to get over 1000% gf this way......

more expensive pieces of equipment are:
4 lem shields (200% gf - I don't mind losing 150% gf for cannot be frozen and mf)
3 lem helms (150%gf - I think the +1 skills and mf is more important than the extra 25% gf this helm gives you compared to a Lem Tarn)
6 lem crystal sword (450% gf....lvl 99 lemlem ali is 397% gf...)
Serpent's Small charm of greed (+17mana/10%gf pristine)
*resistance prefix* small charm of greed (3-11% resist single, or 3-5% resist all / 10% gf pristine)
Graverobber's Grand charm of greed (+1 necro summon/ 40% goldfind pristine)
Good rare jewels w/ 30% goldfind are also possible (would be good in sockets if you found a perticularly good one)

All characters are capped at the same % (since they all end up being able to use the same equipment....barbarians are the only ones that can get higher....just like in mf due to dual wield) - Necromancers are the most able to kill nude though out of all of them.
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
Brista,Jun 5 2003, 03:31 PM Wrote:People at the cutting edge have reported drops of over 100K (single drop). Add to that that monsters can drop multiple piles

Vendors never pay more than 35K for an item

Also gold takes up less inventory space :)
max greed in d2c ~1000%
max greed in lod ~3700%
max greed in lod 1.10 way more then that :P

when some of the best items you can use are rares one of the best ways to get them is to gamble. this kind of build was started way back in d2 when you could gamble for sets/uniqs and killer rares. if you didnt have much luck with mf then you could always bring in the uniqs (gloves/belts/boots/rings/amuelts) and then with them in the game you could gamble for rares.

any class can work well for goldfind and can be fun and safe to play. what it comes down to is where you want to goldfind and what you have for items. most of the time sorc/amz will stay in cows to goldfind since they can kill there. that works but for the most gold you want to find champ class monsters to kill. the high council is just about the best place to goldfind since they all can drop more then 1 pile of gold. with a top end godlfind build you can get well over 100k piles of gold.

something to think about if you like to goldfind is the use of the barb find item skill. with that you can kill the highcouncil once for their drops then use the skills on the dead bodies for them to have a chance to drop a 2nd time.

here is a nice little pic of one of my goldfind chars (i've got many)
[Image: Screenshot010.jpg]
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Why in the hell would anybody want that much gold? The only way to get rid of millions in gold quickly (I say quickly, because if you're making a dedicated char for this, clearly you want to spend it fast and get back to business) is gambling. But gambling is horrid these days. I gamble frequently, either between Meph runs, or after a smash-and-grab run of all the superuniques in A5, or just whenever I expect to die. I'd say I've gambled about 250 amulets in the last couple months, and in all those, I've kept three of them. Only one is usable on a non-variant. I can see making a gf characters for 1.10, where gambling is to be much improved, but ...but....but what do you DO with your gold??

If you gamble, how are your results? I'd love to hear what you gamble for, with what frequency you keep the gambled item, and if that brand of mind-numbing is less dull than any other recursive item cheeze. (Such as meph runs, cows, pindle runs, shop resetting, socket or heph running, etc)
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
gold is more fun then endless mf runs. like i said i first started this way back in d2 when you could gamble nice items. i use my goldfind barb in d2c to gamble for +2 skill amulets. since there are less junk mods there i can get more +2 skill amulets. when i get one i like i can move it to lod. in lod most of the time i only gamble amulets but i use to gamble for rings alot too. other then those 2 items many people will gamble for circlets. ( remember those, shako, vamp and other uniqs arent the only nice helms ) and you can even use the gold to shop with ( and no you dont need a bot to do that) also you can buy or sell many items in the diabloii.net marketplace for gold. 1 Sol rune is worth +2mill gold. those that craft also gamble for the magic items they use to craft.

the best part of this build is you can get mass gold fast. kill the high council once and get 500k to 1.5 mill gold. you can then move it to a char that needs it.

two of the dumbest things Blizzard ever did was to change rares and how most are junk. it use to be you would mf for any rare in the hope you would get some killer mods, now very few people even stop to id them. the 2nd thing was to make it so hard to gamble for uniqs. back in d2 when you could gamble for a soj it would take 500k to 1.5mill to get one if you had the other 2 rings there. for LOD the odds should be lower but still not what the are. what this did was set the price of a soj in terms of something anyone can get if they spend the time gambling. even in LOD (before the last dupe BS) you could buy or sell a soj to many people for gold.

as to your last question the odds to gamble godly amulets (what i spend most of my time on) isnt that good. a good amulet to me is +2 mana leech with other mods or +2 caster amulets with good mods or even +3 skill amulets with a 2nd good mod. often you get very nice starter items but to get the very best takes a ton of gold. (thats why i like to gamble for amulets in d2c) if you gamble circlets it not hard to get a good +2 with leech but like anything to get a +2 duel leech with other good mods takes some time.

oh and as to "that brand of mind-numbing is less dull than any other recursive item cheeze" goldfind is way more fun then endless mf runs. but like anything it will get old after a while. thats why you should have other chars to play.

one last thing just because you cant to go with goldfind doesnt mean you cant also have high mf too. if you want a pure goldfind char then you'll need a ton of Lem runes and you wont have much more then 300% mf (merc/char) but if you want to get both high goldfind and high mf its not that hard to get over 700% mf and mass goldfind.
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Ignatz,Jun 6 2003, 08:52 PM Wrote:If you gamble, how are your results? I'd love to hear what you gamble for, with what frequency you keep the gambled item, and if that brand of mind-numbing is less dull than any other recursive item cheeze.
I gamble for circlets/coronets, rings and amulets

I keep about a quarter of the rares and a very occasional blue - I am something of a packrat though

Rares come up about 1 in 10. I've never had a green or gold come up in LOD but I'm not truly serious about this. I have decided "oh, I need a +3 fire ammy" and gambled till I got one

I don't know if it's better than any other cheese but it is nice to have lots of different things to do

I've never seen a drop of 134K before, that Barb must be very nicely put together :)

As a side note gambling is "improved" in 1.10 which added to the fact that many of us will be playing no-twink might make these builds very fashionable
Gold is simply more reliable :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Also gold is more reward for work oriented.....you work with a lot of goldfind you're WAY more likely to find that big pile of gold you are seeking, than if you work with a lot of magicfind to get that great item you are seeking.
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
I still think the build should be renamed Goldfinger. Sounds better that way.

If I wanted cash, I would just use a barb with Find Item, and sell stuff.
mageofthesands,Jun 9 2003, 11:01 AM Wrote:I still think the build should be renamed Goldfinger.&nbsp; Sounds better that way.

If I wanted cash, I would just use a barb with Find Item, and sell stuff.
selling items will always work but its also slow. if you also have a load of charm you dont have much room for that many items.

a good goldfind barb can get cash drops of 400k to 1.5 mill gold per highcouncil run in hell + what you can get for items. i've had single piles of gold over 135k and a single highcouncil member drop over 250k, thats not counting if he drops a 2nd time with the find item skill.

depending on how much greed and mf you want you could get over 700% mf and 2000% goldfind.

not many ppl stop and pickup piles of gold when they are only 1-2k but most will when they see 10-20k piles
-Tempus-
Only play PoE now.
Indeed.. why do ppl take necros is beyond me, as a barbarian with IK maul and find item scores zillions in the travincal.

Actually.. why ppl take gold is beyond me too, as gambling is sucky these days :)
Golddigger
Placer
Prospector
49'er
Goldbug
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.