"white" rings
A friend of mine was telling me about these "white" rings on closed bnet.
do any of you know about these?
what are they and how do you get them?
my friend says he has one that adds +3 to all skills and +100 to all stats.
this can't be legal! He claims it's a "glitch" he does not know how to get the items (he traded for 'em) I wanna know how to get them!
"Hydrogen and stupidity are the two most common things in the universe" - Harlan Ellesen
"I beat you with a stick!" - ChromaticOnion
These are hacked items somehow brought in from open and are obviously insanley overpowered I won't answer any more questions , especialy when people try to justify cheating by calling it a glitch. A spade is a spade.

Honestly, if you know it can't possbily be legit, why are you trying yto get them?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jun 2 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:Honestly, if you know it can't possbily be legit, why are you trying yto get them?
I'm just wondering HOW do ppl get these gimped items?
I saw them going for 99 cents on ebay so it can't be all that hard.
I'm very interested in bugs/glitches, I find them cool
"Hydrogen and stupidity are the two most common things in the universe" - Harlan Ellesen
It's not a bug or a glitch. It's a hack. It was malicously created, not by accident.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hackers figured out a way to trick the closed realm to accept an "Open Bnet" character that is loaded with Hacked stuff. Trust me it is evil, and if you intend to use them this is not the place for you. You are probably looking for a site that also allows you to download hack software, and discusses all the ways that you can cheat.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I was just wondering what was up with these odd rings!
Besides tell me it wouldn't be fun to at least TRY a char with +20 to all skills?
Messed up, yes.
But fun, too.

Y'all remember the angelic armament bug where you coul get skills up to lvl 200+?
You could have some real fun then!
OK ppl CAN and DO abuse this stuff but it can be fun to try.

*Edit*
P.S. to try for a little bit at least
P.P.S. also this prolly will be fixed come 1.10 *holds breath*
Quote:Besides tell me it wouldn't be fun to at least TRY a char with +20 to all skills?
Messed up, yes.
But fun, too.

I wouldn't. I'm a pretty hard core gamer, and have been for some 25 years. If you want to try it, I would suggest you limit it to your own PC in single player mode with a character file editor. But, what is the point? You walk up to hell Diablo, or Baal and drop them in one blow. Pretty predictable. Like a friendly game of chess, only where your opponent comes with a howitzer instead. Sorry, but IMO, it is not a game anymore. PVP is even more messed up. That is just deceptive.

Now what would be fun would be for Blizzard to sweep through the accounts periodically and ban the cd keys of the cheaters. And also ban the IP addresses of repeat offenders.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Jun 3 2003, 07:29 AM Wrote:Now what would be fun would be for Blizzard to sweep through the accounts periodically and ban the cd keys of the cheaters.  And also ban the IP addresses of repeat offenders.
Yes, it would.

BTW I actually do this on SP, I'm kind of a compulsive cheater IF the cheating is easy. This is why I play closed bnet because I WON'T constantly be tempted to up all my stats/skills "a little bit" vut not on bnet for fear of account ban.
I'm kind of contradicting myself aren't I?
Oh well, please try to ignore my "evil" side. Partially thanks to ppl like you I have forsworn any hacked items for now.
See? Ya made a difference! Good for you! :D
Hail kandrathe,

Cheating can be fun. Even in multiplayer. If everone knows about it!

I happened to play a cheat contest on a lan party against a friend of mine. We had 10 minutes to get ourself a character and 'train' it as good as possible. Then we fought. It was quite interesting and fun, too, actually. (well we didn't really die, having x thousands of life and damage reduction/ magic absorb like hell, but...)
After that, we continued to play the storyline with our normal, untrained characters.
Of course there's no point in doing that with a highly-cheated character, would be easy-cheesy and spoiling fun.

On the internet, however, you're not only spoiling your fun, but also the fun of the people you play with (if they don't know). It is pretty lame and I despise PKs who cheat. That's the point where 'cheating in multiplayer games is evil' is set to the value 'true'.

Just my 2 Cents...

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hail Onion,

"I'm kind of a compulsive cheater..."

I feel I should warn you ahead then that this site has a no tolerance ruling on cheating. If you are ever more than tempted to cheat, then this is not the place for you. For the most part you'll find super legits here: many of us will not even use a skill (or even class!) if it's broken, let alone anything as bad as hacked items.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
If the item isn't on battle.net, then it isn't legal. Simple as that.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
It's an amazing sight to see someone shove both feet in their mouth and then still be capable of backpedaling on their butt-cheeks:

"I cheat! But I don't! But I did! But I won't! But I will! But I shouldn't!"

Nice trick: In the space of two days and two threads, you've managed to look like a complete fool. Apparently the idiocy of Dii.net rubbed off a bit more on you than you'd admit. Further, telling people in the Lurker Lounge to "calm down, dude" about legitimacy is the proverbial red cape in front of SEVERAL bulls.

Several new members usually have trouble avoiding mistakes like this; considering you're a "returning" member... I'd say you just raised the level on the faux pas bar.

Quote:to spite all evidence to the contrary I am NOT trying to suck up, I am just saying whatever comes to mind

I'd advise you to actually sit your ass down and start thinking about it first. Your predilection for the taste of shoe leather really doesn't improve your "image".

Quote:I enjoyed reading intellegent posts and not listening to the inane blather that I found on the diabloii.net forums.

Perhaps you'll see the obvious need for you to bring your game up a tad, then... for you seem to have tracked the "blather" in with you.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 3 2003, 01:56 PM Wrote:Perhaps you'll see the obvious need for you to bring your game up a tad, then... for you seem to have tracked the "blather" in with you.

*tips helm*
Agreed. I haven’t said directly to you yet ChoromaticOnion, but you seem to have issues related to cheating, and rather you do "cheat or not" is irrelevant to me. What is relevant to me is that you continue to spam your ideology over all the different forums and not only do I disagree with it, but I'm sure ALL the lurkers here to also. Besides, if you've read Elrics Etiquette guide, you'd realize the importance of:

1) Getting "acquainted" with a place before jumping right in and getting wet

and...

2) Re-reading (previewing) your posts before you post them to correct all grammatical errors like "sup ya'll" and the like, and well, to not sound so annoying.

I understand where your comming from because I also jumped in right away at first and got my ass handed to me on platter, but I re-adjusted the way I thought and posted on this site and not only do I have much more respect for the Lurkers and their ethos, but I'm sure they have more respect for me. If your not interested in respecting others opinions or having them respect you, then maybe you shouldn't be on this site, IMO. That seems to be the real issue when you say such things as, "chill out dude", and "so sue me".
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
kier,Jun 3 2003, 11:29 AM Wrote:If the item isn't on battle.net, then it isn't legal. Simple as that.
If it weren't for the fact that the constricting ring is listed on battle.net, I'd agree with you totally.

As for cheating, when it's single player a person can do whatever they want. On multiplayer though, it's a bad judgement call. You can't stop people who are deadset on doing it, but you can ignore them and advocate to Blizzard to start deleting more accounts and banning more IPs.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Guess what, what you described wasn't cheating because you agreed to a set of rules. "We had 10 minutes to get ourself a character and 'train' it as good as possible. Then we fought." That is a set of rules. Would it have been fun if your friend got 11 minutes, and becuase of that extra minute he was twice as big as you? Yeah, yeah, wildly hypothetical, but you get the point. You didn't cheat, because everyone involved was playing by the same set of rules.

Maphack is cheating because the rules of the game say you don't get to see where all the exits and chests and whatever else that POS porgram does. Since using it means you are not playing by the rules you are cheating.

White rings are cheating because they are not supposed to be a part of the game. It took a 3rd party program to create them.

Heck, if you get down to the nitty gritty FoxBat's D2 accelerator is cheating because the rules of the game say that a firewall and blizzard, etc will be displayed on screen this way. Heck, having used his little program, it did give me an advantage, since the Blizzard graphic was a lot cleaner, it was much easier to target monsters and see incoming missles. Of course this little program could cause a bit of discussion, but it is cheating since it intentionally violated the rules of the game.

Of course cheating does not have to give you an actual advantage, you can cheat to lose, and it is still cheating, it is still breaking the rules, and that is all the definition of the word covers, it doesn't cover intent.

So, to sum up, if all parties involved agree to a set of rules, even if they are different than the original rules (i.e. the "Free parking" rule in monopoly), then it isn't cheating because everyone agreed on the new rules, so you are playing a different game now.

But this topic has been beaten to death as well. The definition of the word is pretty clear, so determining if something is cheating isn't hard. I don't generally care to get into the rest.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
ChromaticOnion,Jun 3 2003, 03:36 AM Wrote:Oh well, please try to ignore my "evil" side.  Partially thanks to ppl like you I have forsworn any hacked items for now.
See?  Ya made a difference!  Good for you!  :D
Welcome to thin ice! Enjoy your treading.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Now what would be fun would be for Blizzard to sweep through the accounts periodically and ban the cd keys of the cheaters. And also ban the IP addresses of repeat offenders.

Would this mean ban anyone who has a hacked or duped itemon a character? A lot of trading goes on, and a lot of the traded items are duped or hacked. I'm sure a lot of people would not trade for these items if they knew that the items were dupedor hacked. To ban these people would not make a whole lot of sense.

:unsure: If I totally missed the point you were trying to make, very sorry.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Not too long ago Pete crafted an exquisitely well thought-out post which explains cheating very well, I think

Just his opinion, but I think a very good line to take and I think that if you take his points to heart you'll find it easy to fit in here :)

Quote:Taking a different perspective
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Cheating is IMO acceptable as long as it affects no one else.

I would say that cheating is impossible unless someone else is involved.

To cheat, one must deviate from the agreed upon rules. And, ultimately, a game is its rules. So, if one deviates from the rules, one is playing a different game. Changing the rules without telling the other players is the essence of cheating. So, if playing solo, there can be no cheating. One is simply playing a different game.

This "different game" might take many forms. Turning a strategy game into a mindless arcade game. Trying experiments to understand how the engine works, or to determine game parameters. Or just seeing what you can do for the hell of it. As long as it involves no one else, it isn't cheating for there is no one to be cheated.

And that leads us to the concept of mods. Basically, they are changes of the game that all the players have agree upon. Which is why there is no question of a mod being a form of cheating. Of course, in practice, it is the better players looking for a greater challenge that make and play mods, but there is nothing in principle that excludes a mod where all the players are gods.

In any discussion of cheating, the central question that must be answered is "Who is being cheated?" If the only answer is "Myself" or "No one", then there is no cheating. Note that that is *not* a simple question to answer. Indirect results need to be evaluated carefully. Even if the effect of an exploit on other players is indirect and subtle, it still exists and thus the exploit is cheating.

Now, when carefully thought out, many things the people consider cheating are not. Many of the things people gripe about are legal yet cheesy. Twinking, rushing, leeching are all examples of things that are legal yet frowned upon by the "legit" community.

So, "legit" is not the opposite of "cheating" but rather a quality standard of play that excludes cheating but also excludes many fair but cheesy loopholes.

--Pete
Quote:Would this mean ban anyone who has a hacked or duped itemon a character? A lot of trading goes on, and a lot of the traded items are duped or hacked. I'm sure a lot of people would not trade for these items if they knew that the items were dupedor hacked. To ban these people would not make a whole lot of sense.

IMO yes, if it is such an obvious item like the "white ring".
If you see an item on b-net, that is vastly overpowered, like having +20 skills and still being white (as in not unique, rare, set or crafted. White as in the same color every normal non-magical weapon has) then you can't really claim that you didn't know this was an illegal item.
If anyone thinks that one is legal the first time they see it, then having their CD-Key banned is the least of their problems.

This only goes for the clearly hacked/illegal items of course. There is afaik no way you can look at one item and tell if it is a dupe or not, so there is no way of catching those who are using dupes. The only solution would be to find a way to detect who is actually doing the duping and not who is using duped items.

The only sure way to clean up b-net would be to reset the whole thing, but I can see that doing something like that would enrage so many players that it would hurt more than it would help. I wouldn't mind it, but I guess a lot of others would.

Dupes are here to stay, let us just hope they find a way to prevent more from being made and to ban every one who is using a clearly hacked item. If a couple of innocent people gets it then that is just too tough.
Life works that way; it's not always fair.
I'm very sorry that I have offended/annoyed all you respectable lurkers.
I realize that I made a complete fool of myself, all my spamming/blathering was me kinda trying to fix that. It failed miserably.

First off I DO NOT cheat on bnet. As you and I know, it ruins the experience for everyone.

I'm sorry that I forgot how against cheating the lounge was, but then I remember: that's what I liked about it in the first place!

I'm sorry for "tracking in the mud" and "waving the red cape". I'm annoyed at myself because I hate stupidity in people and especially on the internet and here I am doing the exact thing that I find so annoying.

So, I'm sorry for being stupid and not thinking through my posts before posting and I hope you can all forgive me for this "little" gaffe.