Can not run original D1 on Win XP !
Hello!

I have the same problem which I had when I was using win 98 - I can install diablo 1 but the game will not start because the system doesn't see diablo CD ! In win 98 you had to overwrite one small file (cdfs.vxd) in windows/system/iosubsys directory and the problem was solved. You could play on bnet. But on Win XP it seems to be little bit harder to omit. I can of course crack the game (but why then use original games, eh ?) and it will see that damn CD and will start the game but I won't be able to use bnet then (cause they see the files are changed by crack) which is why I want to play that game! So now it's totally ruined for me :-(. If anyone could help, enlighten me what am I doing wrong I would be very very happy and grateful.

Regards,

Kilthar
I was once having the same problem with D1 under Win98, too. I asked Vivendi Universal, Blizzards Publisher, and they said it was my cd-rom. They didn't tell me that I just have to overwrite a small file :angry: ...

Well it turned out to run with a brand new copy of diablo without overwriting something, and I suppose the old cd just was scratched or something.
Still running Win98, someone else has to help you out with XP. Just wanted to let you know: You Are Not Alone. :D

And: The Truth Lies Somewhere Out There...

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
This sounds like your CD Rom drive may need a firmware update. I know those fancy 52-72X drives from Kenwood were in this category. Just check your manufacturer site to see if they have one.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.