Diabloii.net sucks ass
Jugalator,Jun 4 2003, 03:57 AM Wrote:If they don't listen or don't like the suggestion, do one of this:

1. Visit the site with blocking disabled.
2. Don't visit the site.
Well put, Jugulator. They have the right to run the site as they please. You either go there or you don't, but while there please abide by their rules. Not liking the rules is no excuse for disobeying them. I guess D2 cheaters also feel the rules "suck ass," so it's okay to cheat around them.

If you want the latest news, guest articles, the biggest D2 fansite forum, multiple daily updates, facts and figures, etc, the least you can do it accept some popups. You don't get them here, no, but you don't get those features either. The Lounge has always been little more than a front end for a die-hard fan forum (most small fansites fit that description very well). 95% of the work and effort the mods here put into the site is directed at the forum.

Dii.net offers a lot more - it's a fan uber-site, really, and for that they don't ask much IMHO.

And seeing message titles like "Diablo.net sucks ass" posted here over something so slight is just disappointing. Sure, we often rag on them for the quality of their posted "strategy guides," but this goes way beyond improperness. It's downright rude, obnoxious, and something I thought would get posted on those mystical "other" forums that we so like to look down on. Shall we turn the mirror?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Jugalator,Jun 5 2003, 02:11 AM Wrote:Because I only know one site having Diablo-related advertisments, and it's Phrozen Keep with their cheat ads.
:D

Well you might want to look again because the little banner up top (or at least the one I see) is now a pre-order banner for StarCraft: Ghost on PS2. That is something I can happily accept! I don't mind being bombarded with advertising that actually follows some logic in being there.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
D2.Net IS a commercial site last time I looked. That means you have to follow their rules in order to visit or participate there. You have to put up with ads on TV, so I really don't see what the big deal is for popups for sites. I *hope* you're not mistakenly thinking you're entitled to 1st Amendment rights at D2.Net or here. Because you must agree to the terms of the individual site(usually posted in a FAQ or prominently on the site).
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.
DaveO,Jun 5 2003, 12:16 PM Wrote:D2.Net IS a commercial site last time I looked. That means you have to follow their rules in order to visit or participate there.
Their rules being "eat spam"? Why are their rules "eat spam or sod off" when it would make far greater economic sense for all concerned if the rules were "BTW, here's something you might find interesting and your clicking on it will support us"? Advertising that does nobody any favours is pointless and only serves to set up a 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome where viewers become apathetic to things that might otherwise be receptive to. Internet advertisers and door-to-door salesmen often seem to be oblivious to that . . . and one tends to see why . . .

Quote:You have to put up with ads on TV, so I really don't see what the big deal is for popups for sites.

Well the TV ad thing is very arguable. Actually what I have to put up with is 3 minute gaps in a program that are spaced about 7 minutes apart. I have choices beyond that limitation of which putting up with ads is but one.

Quote:I *hope* you're not you're entitled to 1st Amendment rights at D2.Net or here.

I *hope* you're not mistakenly thinking that I have any idea what 1st Amendment rights are, or give two hoots about them if even I did? <_< I'm not in America, so why I should assume American law governs me at this time remains a mystery. <_<

Quote:Because you must agree to the terms of the individual site(usually posted in a FAQ or prominently on the site).

Yes. I can agree under protest too and still be technically agreeing.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on this one, Bolty. :)

Quote:If you want the latest news, guest articles, the biggest D2 fansite forum, multiple daily updates, facts and figures, etc, the least you can do it accept some popups. You don't get them here, no, but you don't get those features either.

I visited diabloii.net for a single purpose, long ago: I needed Crafting recipes. After retrieving that short bit of data, I wandered over to the forums. It was shortly thereafter that I started avoiding the place like the plague. My decision, my reasons. Those reasons are undoubtedly shared by quite a few around here, but that's a moot point.

There is nothing on dii.net that I cannot retrieve from the Arreat Summit. Certainly (nod to Warblade) loading the Summit over a dial-up is an annoyance... but I choose that time annoyance for graphics over simply visiting dii.net. The information is present... I prefer to get it from the "horse's mouth", for better or worse.

And while dii.net hosts the additional info of strategy guides, etc on their own site... It's not THAT many clicks into the Lurker Lounge to find the exact same thing. In the end, it's the Forums themselves that produce and discuss any Strategy guides that may be published. It also stands worth mentioning that the VAST majority of Strategy guides that I have consulted are NOT affiliated with dii.net whatsoever.

Quote:The Lounge has always been little more than a front end for a die-hard fan forum (most small fansites fit that description very well). 95% of the work and effort the mods here put into the site is directed at the forum.

There's a thing called the KISS principle. We all know it; I was pleased to find this site using it. If I want a high-volume pretty-assed front end, I'll visit the Arreat Summit. If I want in-depth analysis on the truth of the code, conduct and co-operation, I'll visit the Lurker Lounge.

Besides... I always thought your front end was elegant. :D

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote:They have the right to run the site as they please. You either go there or you don't, but while there please abide by their rules. Not liking the rules is no excuse for disobeying them.

For what it's worth, I've since allowed http://www.diabloii.net to open pop-up windows. I hate them (pop-ups, that is), but after reading the threads there I guess I got a little warm-hearted. As much as I detest diabloii.net (Lightforge is NOT a legit hat in Diablo 1!), it is the best source of late-breaking news in the Diablo 2 scene.

I still hate pop-ups, but I'll allow dii.net to open them for me in the future.

Can I take back my "sucks ass" statement? Maybe transform it into a "sucks collarbone" one?

-DeeBye
They have the right to run their site as they please. I agree completely. I also manage my computer as I please, fine thank you. (Obviously within the legal realm) I believe I can block unwanted windows that open up on my computer without my control. Of course, they can restrict access by making it password-protected, which they may as well should. It's the same reason I don't have to put up with spam.

I have a pop-up stopper for a reason. I don't feel that I should make an exception, especialy if they should force me.

I used to click on their banners. But like I said before, I won't bother going there. If I'm not welcome, I know better than to hang around. I don't blame them for using pop-up ads though. It just discourages people from going. Maybe it doesn't matter, but the point of a webpage was to be viewed?

Now, that we realize that diabloii.net needs to make money, we cannot blame them. We can though throw our hats down in disgust and slam the door on the way out. A person is soverign in his/her own home, but if you keep feeding your guests leftovers and annoying them with ads, you'll be very lonely.

But yes, this thread is downright hostile. Perhaps [insert site here] kicks ass?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
WarBlade,Jun 4 2003, 11:34 PM Wrote::D

Well you might want to look again because the little banner up top (or at least the one I see) is now a pre-order banner for StarCraft: Ghost on PS2. That is something I can happily accept! I don't mind being bombarded with advertising that actually follows some logic in being there.
I'm still getting just one site: Diablo 2 Virtual Mall. :(
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 4 2003, 11:28 PM Wrote:Besides... I always thought your front end was elegant. :D
I guess you weren't around for the earliest days :)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Oops, self-praise.
Other good, maybe not 'kickass' sites:

www.d2network.de (diabloII, beware, it's german! :o )
www.geocities.com/iuchewie/diablo (diablo&hellfire)
www.claudiospage.com (diablo&diabloII)
www.battle.net/diablo2exp (well...the ultimate strategy compendium)
www.planetdiablo.de (diablo&hellfire, german)
B)

Edit: (n/t) was a fake after all. Oh well...
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.