Battle.net error
I keep getting an error when I log into battlenet. It doesn't happen everytime but it does most of the time. The error reads...

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:
ACCESS_VIOLATION (c 0000005)

I have reinstalled Diablo 2 and the expansion already. Wiped out everything and reinstalled yet it still does this. Does anybody know why? Thanks
I know it is something that very few, (not that they will admit to) but do you have Maphack or something else running when you go to use D2?
Do you go straight to BNet when you start the game or choose your Gateway first?
Firewall running that might be blocking it in some way?
AntiVirus software might interpret the D2 code as something to stop...

What OS and type of system do you have... i.e RAM...
Are you running D2 in Windowed mode?
Are you using 640x480 or 800x600 D2 resolution?
Do you install the D2 Patch from the Blizzard Site when you reinstall or do you just click on BNet to let that d/l the patch?

This was all I could think of off the top of my head, that might be causing issues..

You could try Scandisk / Defrag... Perhaps it is trying to find a part of the MPQ file that is split over many HDD Sectors.

Well, hope this helps...

Laters,
Baal.
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
- Warcry of Khorne's Champions.
I do not hack in any way, so it can't be that.

I go straight to Bnet when I start.

I have Norton Anti-virus but it ran fine for a long time with it going- I'll try it without it....

Windows XP- 256 MB Ram.- 640X480 mode (800x600 gives me a headache, lol)

Not in windowed mode

I let Bnet handle the patching process.
I can assure you, this is not a Maphack related problem, because:

a ) I've gotten a few of those exceptions :P
b ) So have all these people in the Amazon Basin: click!

Perhaps it's a server-side problem? It seems to have started up recently for all of us.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
"Perhaps it's a server-side problem? It seems to have started up recently for all of us. "

Hopefully, because I can't seem to be able to find a fix for it.... Hopefully Blizzard will fix it soon
I'm started to get really mad, because it happens every time now so I cannot play at all. Yet it doesn't seem to happen to most because there were still 70,000+ people playing LOD.... This is so frustrating....
I know this error can occur if you enter a channel with Warcraft III characters in it, especially the ones with @Lordaeron (one of the WC3 realms) at the end of their username. Someone told me it was because Diablo II doesn't handle their long usernames very well and somewhere down the line a pointer gets overwritten and wham! Access Violation because the mangled pointer points to where it shouldn't.

However, the other day I logged in and landed in the usual public D2 channel, only to crash with an Access Violation. Either a WC3 character had found their way into that channel, or something else was up. Either way, I haven't gone back since. (Been too busy modding Baldur's Gate I and beta-testing the Near Infinity editor. :D )
My vote is that it's a server side, B.Net issue.
I received this error 3 times while playing this evening on US East. It seems to happen when you log into B. Net or when you exit a game and return back to the B. Net UI. The error occurs as the avatars at the bottom of the UI screen load up.

I hope this doesn't continue long as it's quite annoying to have to restart the game each time.

My 2 Pennies...
- Ace 777
Check Out: NJ DeMolay

[Image: knight_left.gif]
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?F...al&T=180269&P=1
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
For the past 3 days I'm having same problem, doesn't happen often just when I log on the first time. It occur most often when I change channel.

Me too I believe it's server side problem. Maybe has to do with latest patch for WCIII, they changed the b.net server software somehow.
I've also recently started getting hard crashes when the b.net UI redraws, and I play on a Mac in OSX. So yeah, it probably is server-side...

Ignatz

PS: I know I've asked this in another forum, but has anybody who's on a Mac in OSX been able to get hardware mode support to work beyond 2 fps? I'm running the most tricked out machine money can buy right now, and I get about 2-10 fps in game when using anything but software mode. I've been hassling Blizzard for weeks now and I'm getting blown off. Anybody else have this problem? (Sorry, not trying to hijack post, just thought it was a good place to put this without starting a new one)
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
Jugalator,Jun 5 2003, 02:15 AM Wrote:http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?F...al&T=180269&P=1
Well, it looks to be affecting D2 and SC/BW now.

I haven't go it and I was on US West for several hours last night.
Are you guys getting it on US East or on any realm?

Blizzard say they will be patching to shortly... ;)

Laters,
Baal
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
- Warcry of Khorne's Champions.
I was on USWest yesterday evening and I got it. Once, the first time I join a channel it crashed. No problem when I restarted DII.