New world of Internet Expression. Oh, and Halo.
I've been noticing something kind of weird lately, with conversations with friends and such. The word "lol" has lost all original meaning, or so I think. It's often used in many of my AIM expressions when I'm just smirking, not truly laughing. This isn't weird, or so I thought...

Lately, talking to my classmates, I've noticed that some Internet lingo we speak online is actually coming into my grammer. It was just the other day my friend and I were talking about Legendary Settings in Halo, and we both remarked on something that was very funny. In unison, we said "lol" (much like the word "loll"), and then without realizing it, continued on. Then spawned "teh suck", "o.O" (oh-oh), and I'm wondering...

Is this normal? ^^

Does anyone have any other funny experiences to share about this topic? Suggestions, maybe? =P

Oh, secondary topic of this post. Is it freaking possible to beat Halo on Legendary without cooperative? I'm talking mainly about entrenched Elite positions, aka many parts of Attack on the Control Room and Keyes.

My brother and I managed to spend about (let's say alot of time) and defeat Legendary on all settings. I usually get a score of about 95-70 on 12 player FFAs, so I'm no slouch at this game. However, I think some improvments need to be made to the game in order to have a difficulty like this, namely, faster run speed.
In Hoc Signio Vinces.
I believe this is the same phenomenon that's been worrying schoolteachers across America for a few years now. Looks like their nightmares are coming true!

In the past, conversation amongst the youngins was generally done by phone - but now we have a new generation that actually uses text messaging more than phones to converse. The end result is that the method of writing these messages becomes hard-coded, and all writing starts to lean towards the text messaging style...

I pity the English teacher of 10 years hence.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
You both have the same avatar? Now that's confusing.
Quote:Does anyone have any other funny experiences to share about this topic? Suggestions, maybe? =P

Well, the only one I've nearly slipped into regular speech was "NP". In D2 I usually type NP(no problem) instead of "your welcome". It's so much faster to type(and say), that sometimes I wish there was a short form for real life :)

(even just "welcome" takes longer to say)

Of course, I could just go with the pubbie crowd and not say anything at all.
(applies to RL as well)
Bolty,Jun 5 2003, 09:10 PM Wrote:I believe this is the same phenomenon that's been worrying schoolteachers across America for a few years now.  Looks like their nightmares are coming true!

In the past, conversation amongst the youngins was generally done by phone - but now we have a new generation that actually uses text messaging more than phones to converse.  The end result is that the method of writing these messages becomes hard-coded, and all writing starts to lean towards the text messaging style...

I pity the English teacher of 10 years hence.

-Bolty
:huh:

*currently studying English intermediate course in order to teach English to high-schoolers when I'm done with my education*

If any of my students ever used 3317-speak or other Internet-lingo in an essay or a presentation, I'd slap them silly, and dangle them out the window.

I pity and hate those who use Internet-lingo, be it on the Internet, or in "real life."
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Ah, Halo... how I miss thee. Since I left school I have been Box-less and I'm missing it.

As for single player Legendary, I don't know. My roommate and I went through it in Co-op and did just fine, 'cept for a little trouble in Two Betrayals when you have to get to the banshees. At least that's the most trouble I can remember us having. But we got into multiplayer system link games hardcore and I didn't really try to go through Legendary on single player. Most of the time if the Box was on, we were either playing a link game or waiting for one to start.

We mostly played Team Slayer games to 50 (anywhere from 4 to 12 players) and I was usually in the top 3 or 5 at the end of the game. I played with some really good snipers, but I preferred closer range run and gunning. What mode/frag limit do you usually play on that you're getting 95-70 kills a game? I only saw numbers like that when we had an occassional CTF match.

And as for IM expressions, I've noticed myself wanting to say "teh" but never write it. And for a while I would think "lol" when something was funny, but I never said it and I seem to have broken myself of that habit (thank God).

--Copadope
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 6 2003, 10:54 AM]I pity and hate those who use Internet-lingo, be it on the Internet, or in "real life."
Yes... I pity a guy I know...
He actually uses "lol", not Laugh out Loud or whatever other meaning you have for it... He actually says "lol" as a response to funny jokes and stuff...

O man, do I ever want to hit him.. I keep trying to resist the urge to smack him upside the head for using that crap in Real Life.

Just another reason that I am glad to have him blocked on MSN and to have left that town for a new job.

Laters,
Baal.
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
- Warcry of Khorne's Champions.
Bolty,Jun 6 2003, 09:10 AM Wrote:I believe this is the same phenomenon that's been worrying schoolteachers across America for a few years now.
*nods*

I saw an item on the news a few nights ago talking about another side effect than the spelling/grammar issue you mentioned. The camera was going over sme text written by a 9 year old and it looked like the kinda of scribble I was writing at age 6 or 7. Same again, they displayed something from a 12 year old, while they claimed it was comparable to a 9 year old's script.

Some time last year I saw another news item or article about the physical adaptation of today's youth. Studies had found that the thumb was fast replacing the forefinger as the primary manipulator on the hand because of text messaging. The thumbs of the average 18 year old are becoming incredibly dextrous.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarBlade,Jun 5 2003, 11:18 PM Wrote:*nods*

I saw an item on the news a few nights ago talking about another side effect than the spelling/grammar issue you mentioned. The camera was going over sme text written by a 9 year old and it looked like the kinda of scribble I was writing at age 6 or 7. Same again, they displayed something from a 12 year old, while they claimed it was comparable to a 9 year old's script.

Some time last year I saw another news item or article about the physical adaptation of today's youth. Studies had found that the thumb was fast replacing the forefinger as the primary manipulator on the hand because of text messaging. The thumbs of the average 18 year old are becoming incredibly dextrous.
So when you tell people who say "lol" to stick their thumb
up their arse, they won't have any trouble getting it in
there :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
It is possible to beat Halo single-player on Legendary. Basically, you have to follow the Legendary walkthrough on Bungie's website word for word. If you don't want to use the walkthrough my guess is that it will take you a VERY long time (read: never happen), although I'd love for you to prove me wrong. :) And quite often it takes some tricks and timing that require quite a bit of practice and if you're not using the walkthrough, even more ingenuity to figure them out. Personally, I got frustrated with Legendary pretty quickly since we play lots of System Link games. The multiplayer in Halo is way more fun. :D

Cheers,
Caes
Caes
No, no, no, you're getting it very wrong.

I have no trouble writing English papers and such. In fact, what I am typing right now is not spell-checked or whatever, so its not a problem of recognizing when I need to use appropriate language or not. I am rather disturbed, in fact, that I think "lol" or "suxxors". When me and friends use it, we are usually referring to jokes, but in fact know exactly my proper "modes".

My main problem, in fact, is "lol". It mouths frequently when I'm typing and being less than formal, and I don't think there is anything wrong with having Internet "slang". I think the main problem is that it just sounds weird when one says it, and I don't want to "de-purify" the English language, as the French accuse us of.

"Le skateboarding" - my ass.

Anyway, I hate that you have to follow the walkthrough. Dying is a chore on Legendary, but I really want to know the timing tricks they talk of. I'm usually playing 12 player System Link Games through jacked hubs. Very insane. Ah, but I am GOOD at this game. I was upset I was unable to not die at certain points in the game, very impossible. AKA, on the Library, I hit a place where 6 carrier forms SURROUND you, and even jumping backwards and not shooting, impossible to not lose 1/2 shield and 1/2 health. With no shield, infection forms WILL own you.

And that same level, a huge "Wait for the Monitor" area. As in, Flood with shotguns. And grenades. And insane freaking space
And carrier forms dropping from everywhere.
That all added equals unbeatable cheese.
In Hoc Signio Vinces.
A friend of mine loves jeffk. Apparently he was in a meeting once at work, someone said that they were having difficulty with something, and he blurted out:

"Yeah, well maybe that's because yuo = fagot! Hahaha!"

Apparently the room went silent, as, not being jeffk fans, no one understood that he was not actually offering the idea that the guy was a homosexual as a reason for his difficulty.
Hahaha, that's great! I was pretending to be homosexual the other day, and when I started this girl just stops laughing and stares at me....it was funny, but sad how it effects people so much to find out someone is gay. By the way, I am not gay.
WWBBD?
LiquidDamage,Jun 5 2003, 07:21 PM Wrote:A friend of mine loves jeffk.  Apparently he was in a meeting once at work, someone said that they were having difficulty with something, and he blurted out:

"Yeah, well maybe that's because yuo = fagot! Hahaha!"

Apparently the room went silent, as, not being jeffk fans, no one understood that he was not actually offering the idea that the guy was a homosexual as a reason for his difficulty.
I don't get it. No where on the "hilarious" link did I see anything relating to calling someone a faggot, besides the intentional incorrect spelling. But you really can't misspell a spoken word. Did he actually have to say Y-U-O and also spell out F-A-G-O-T then? Did they fire him then, or at least let him finish out the week?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
the Langolier,Jun 5 2003, 10:51 PM Wrote:Did they fire him then, or at least let him finish out the week?
<_< I was wondering that one myself.
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 6 2003, 11:54 AM] If any of my students ever used 3317-speak or other Internet-lingo in an essay or a presentation, I'd slap them silly, and dangle them out the window.

I pity and hate those who use Internet-lingo, be it on the Internet, or in "real life."
Language is dynamic, not static. I don't think that stance is healthy for an English teacher.

My most favourite lesson I ever had in english was in final year secondary education where my English teacher (Head of dept. very 'proper') started swearing at us and using slang to make a point.

With a static look at language we have "this is how to spell" and "this is correct grammar"
With a dynamic look at language we can see how we got to this state, and why certain words are appropriate in various situations etc.

Perhaps your English students would learn more about language by studying evolution :unsure:
the Langolier,_ Wrote:I don't get it. No where on the "hilarious" link did I see anything relating to calling someone a faggot, besides the intentional incorrect spelling.
jeffk is a parody of... well, pick a random denizen of battle.net, for instance. "yuo = fagot" is a common jeffkism, spelling and all. As for pronunciation, to paraphrase a friend of mine, leetspeak is pronounced the same as normal English; you jut have to sound stupid while saying it. (Not to mention that "equals" sounds considerably stranger than "are a". :P)

Quote:Did they fire him then, or at least let him finish out the week?
A "not everyone gets your references, and parody sounds like the thing being parodied if it isn't recognized" works too.
All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory... - Larry Wall
the Langolier,Jun 5 2003, 07:51 PM Wrote:I don't get it.&nbsp; No where on the "hilarious" link did I see anything relating to calling someone a faggot, besides the intentional incorrect spelling.&nbsp; But you really can't misspell a spoken word.&nbsp; Did he actually have to say Y-U-O and also spell out&nbsp; F-A-G-O-T then?&nbsp; Did they fire him then, or at least let him finish out the week?
I was going to answer you, then I checked to see if anyone else already did. Ithil took the words right out of my mouth.

No, he didn't get fired.
I once caught myself nearly using "lol" instead of standart laughter in 'real life'... obviously I then smacked my head on a poor nearby wall...
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
How about mentally saying "/me does X"? Gah, what a sad day that was.
All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory... - Larry Wall