On Whacking Duriel
Just a question for anyone out there.
Several times now i have gone through to Duriel (playing solo but with a merc), worked real hard (as you do) and bowled him and the swine hasn't dropped anything - zero- zilch- nada etc etc.
This last time it was with a lvl 67 Sorc in Hell diff - so naturally i feel a bit cheated after all that effort.
Is this usual ??
Or am I always getting to him when he's just got out of the bath and only wearing his robe??
Thikki-the-Wiz,Jun 7 2003 Wrote:Is this usual ??
It's common enough. There's actually quite a high probability of getting a Town Portal Scroll off him though so be on the look out for that spanky blue ribbon.

Quote:Or am I always getting to him when he's just got out of the bath and only wearing his robe??

Firstly, as a Lesser Evil and The Lord of Pain, Duriel refrains from bathing. It interferes with his slug-like ichor apparently (and leaves his hide very dry resulting in a nasty rash).

Secondly, be very thankful for the robe. :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
yea, seems to be common, usually I'll just some gold and a pair of TP scrolls from his carcass....what a jip :(
Do not rely on big, ugly freeze-everybody-in-my-room demons to actually drop nice items! :lol:

Seriously, D2 would be a little more RPG-like and more fun to play if monsters dropped only items they could use. It would make more sense, you shouldn't be able to get a Windforce from a fallen, IMO. Also, monsters with rare / set / unique items could have it equipped, so they would be stronger. Wouldn't it be fun to fight an Hellslayer-wielding Death Lord? :)
[Image: lukesnewlightsaber.jpg]

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
WarBlade,Jun 6 2003, 07:00 AM Wrote:though so be on the look out for that spanky blue ribbon.

Firstly, as a Lesser Evil and The Lord of Pain, Duriel refrains from bathing. It  interferes with his slug-like ichor apparently (and leaves his hide very dry resulting in a nasty rash).

Secondly, be very thankful for the robe. :blink:
It's common enough. There's actually quite a high probability of getting a Town Portal Scroll off him

The TP scroll will always drop.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
The thing is that there's big patches in his lair where it's bugged for him not to drop anything.
the Langolier,Jun 7 2003, 07:14 AM Wrote:The TP scroll will always drop.
The TP Scroll is supposed to always drop. Unfortunately it doesn't always drop.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Quote: The TP Scroll is supposed to always drop. Unfortunately it doesn't always drop.

That's pretty funny, considering the virtually useless always-drop-a-scroll 'feature' was something they proudly listed as a change on one the patches. They went out of their way to make something pointless happen, and it turns out it doesn't even always happen.

I suppose not getting a blue ribbon from li'l D could theoretically be annoying if you wanted to fight Duriel more than once, AND wanted continue your game past that point, AND found yourself foolishly out of TP scrolls in Duriel's closet. (AND it would have to be in single-player as otherwise you could just leave and re-enter the game.)

Yeah, that happened to me all the time! :)
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Duriel has a high quality drop the first time you run him (or if someone has the quest open) but if the quest is done he has a low quality drop

He is the only Act boss whose drop still degrades
The most recent time, which is what prompted the post, WAS the first time against Duriel with this char in Hell, hence my pathetic "I wuz robbed" bleat to this forum.

Jedi Knight's post is interesting too. Yeah what would someone like Duriel doing with a Bow/sword/staff in the first place? Apart from slobbering over them - he can't use them. Maybe he sat on the Windforce he was going to drop for me? Maybe he's a serial slobberer and just couldn't bear to part with it.
Also I have always wondered where those Swarms of bugs keep their wallets in order to drop gold, and hey.. while I'm on a roll. What are those skeletons doing hiding in old casks.. sometimes several of them VERY close together. This is a family oriented post but maybe some questions have to be asked??
This is getting a bit silly. Time for a lie down.
Quote:Or am I always getting to him when he's just got out of the bath and only wearing his robe??

I always thought he came from the toilet (he has wurms) and that scroll was his toiletpaper. If he doesn't drop a scroll, he's out of toiletpaper I advise you to get out of there ASAP then. ^_^
Quote:. Wouldn't it be fun to fight an Hellslayer-wielding Death Lord? 

Absolutely not! :)
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci