Problems with Jarulf's Guide
Hail fellow lurkers,

Before posting my issue here, I tried to solve it and sent Jarulf a private message. Unfortunately however, he doesn't check the lurkerlounge too often since the incident with Charred Star's topic. Next step, I tried to send him an e-mail, but it returned with the error: 'mail delivery error'. It seems as if his mail adress is broken... :(

Thus you are the my next (maybe last) step; supposing that many of you have the bible on their computers, maybe somebody has encountered the phenomenon I have ?
So here we go:

[(cut/paste)]

I currently run Jarulf's Guide version 1.62 under Windows 98. While running Diablo 1, I have encountered some problems:
When I back out off D1 with Alt+Tab, everything's still alright.
When I open the guide (doc version), my system goes so slow I can't help it. It takes 5 minutes to load the guide, I usually go back to D1 during this time.
When I go back after 5 minutes, odds are 30% / 70% that Windows will shut down the 'explorer' and with it your guide, because of some unhandled exception error(30%) (remarkably, though, Diablo is not shut down), or that your guide is executed correctly, but still my system is VERY slow(70%). The only other program I'm running is Norton AV 2002.
This is getting somewhat annoying, and I thought you maybe know what to do?

My settings:

P3 500
384 MB SD-Ram
GeForce 2 MX 400
15 GB Hard Drive
56 x CD-Rom (AOpen)
MS Windows 98
MS Office 97 with Word 97
Vanilla Diablo 1.00 (patch 1.09 soon)
Jarulfs Guide 1.62 (doc version)

I would greatly appreciate your help. [/(cut/paste)]

I'd be grateful for all your input.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hail Fragbait,

It's because Jarulf's guide is huge: my system is more than four times the system you have, and it does the same for me too ;) Solution? Copy any bits you may actually want while in-game (most of it is better read out of the game and memorised) into another document, and print that off. As long as you have that system, and it's Windows you're running, it's going to happen: there's nothing you can do about it.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
1st: If I recall correct Diablo 1 in general and Version 1.00 especially does not like "Alt+Tab"ing out very much, that may be one reason for your crashy experience

2nd: to cut the load times of large documents, try deactivating automatic page breaks (under options);
this helped me A LOT while working on a 170+ pages document with lots of tables (load time was >1 minute and scrolling near impossible [and slowing the whole system considerably, I don't know why but the page break operation within Word seems to be crappiest piece of prozessor hungry programming ever], now loads within 10 seconds and scrolls fine)

3rd: Try something very desperate...print jarulf's guide and have it next to the computer (sorry, not meaning to be smart but, well, thats what it's meant for :P )
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Hi,

Never had JG crash out of the system, but I did have a problem with the loooong load time.

My solution was very simple. I broke JG down into chapters and saved each chapter separately. Any one chapter loads very fast.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I could never stand the long loading time. Thank God...err...Big D...for the JG Online ;)
-Cytrex
Hail Pete, (and all other lurkers)

Obviously several people are having the same problems I have. I am not alone! :P
I read all of your solutions, and I think Pete's is the most viable one for me. Could have thought of it myself... :rolleyes:
I surely don't want to print JG. That would be a hell of a work !
Well, thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.
@ Pete: I'm going to try your solution when I get out of work. Thanks.

I upgraded to Diablo v.1.09, too. Maybe that helps with Alt+Tab.

Nothing more to say. Thanks! :)

Greetings, Fragbait

Edit: fixed some minor minorities...
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Try the PDF version. It uses substantially less RAM than the doc version does. Give it a shot...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Heh, I printed it out and put it in a binder back in the day.

And yes, I used to be insane. :P
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor