Frost Shield Items
I've been playing LoD less than a week now, but I came across something disconcerting. Running my Paladin up to lvl 23 now, part of his equipment through Act III is a Plate Mail armor with the Frost Shield attribute, that grants a 5% chance to cast a Level 4 Frost Nova when struck.

Playing through Act III with the armor in place, I did encounter many instances where the Frost Nova was shot off, but apparently to no effect. To test this further, I returned the Paladin to Act I's Dark Wood and had the Carver crowds play with him. Off went the Frost Nova, but the Normal Difficulty Carvers took no damage. No casualties, no woundings. The effect is suppossed to be that of a Level 4 Frost Nova, with all the damage that entails that. Yet the FN appears to be wholly ineffective.

Is this a known defect of that attribute, or a conflict of character classes?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
I know it chills, but never checked to see if it damaged...
The % chance to cast item modifier does not work on single player. It shows the animation (the frost nova, amplify damage, etc); however, there is no effect. That's why the monsters that are "hit" by frost nova aren´t chilled. I hope they fix this on patch 1.10, because every item that has one of those attributes right now is basically an item with one less potential modifier.

If I recall correctly, the bug has been fixed on closed battle net.
Raz
In terms of single player mode:
It's a bug in 1.09c/d (animations appear, effects don't occur)
If you're playing single player, you can downgrade to 1.09b
(reinstall D2, apply 1.09b patch is a sure way of doing it, but there are easier ways I think)

I thought it only applied to "on striking" effects, not the "on struck" ones?

Oh well :blink:
end255,Jun 12 2003, 09:44 PM Wrote:If you're playing single player, you can downgrade to 1.09b
(reinstall D2, apply 1.09b patch is a sure way of doing it, but there are easier ways I think)
Yeah, just switch DLL files. It only takes a few seconds. :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Acknowledged. The Phrozen Keep appears to have the 1.09b dll files, so I'll take a gander at them soon enough.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.