cickentrigger
Hi everybody

We (low level ad-hoc group in HC) were trying to kill Meph when we were all hostiled by a highlevel zon at the same time. One dead, most jumped: then the zon jumped and I was informed by the other survivor that the zon had been using a "chickentrigger". What is it?

Thanks in advance

Assur

p.s. my hunter then managed to get himself killed by Meph (sob + embarrasment)
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Judging from what I've read in these forums the last couple of days, it's a script that makes you leave the game if you get low on HP or someone goes hostile on you.
I don't know this from first-hand experience though :)
edited
I have to say I don't think maphack is a solution to trigger PKs that leaves you with an enjoyable game

Putting the monsters on the mini-map is way too over-powered.. Seeing the waypoint shrines and level layout is also utterly broken

If you turn the minimap off and only use the chicken feature then you not only have the inconvenience of not using the mini-map but you also get the protection of chickenhack against the routine PvM hazards of the game

That invalidates the point of hardcore

For legit players hardcore offers a spice of danger in the form of one-hit kills as well as the certainty of punishment if you're stupid or careless. Using this chicken feature removes the second of those

In other words you're free to play appallingly and this hack will rescue you from the consequences

Now all sorts of other issues come in here, good ones like degradation of other people's gaming experience, letting cheaters win by default and so on

But the point I wanted quickly to make here was that it ruins your gaming experience

Now, Tiffany this is a legit site and to come here, admit to using maphack, read our views and responses in the other thread (which I hope you found considerate) and then turn round to advocate using Maphack to avoid Trigger PKs is skating very thin ice indeed.......

I hope you decide to give legit gaming a chance, but you may be rapidly closing that door shut with respect to both this site and the Amazon Basin
Brista,Jun 12 2003, 07:17 PM Wrote:For legit players hardcore offers a spice of danger in the form of one-hit kills...
Are you actualy serious about that?

Personaly i think one-hit kills are (as well as the immunity system) the ultimate proof that blizzard did not do a good job regarding monsters' difficulty.

-dave
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Quote:PS "chicken" is a program built into Maphack which you can configure you auto-exit you from a game when you're Hostiled. It's a hack designed to COUNTER trigger-hack, though it can also be used to exit you if your life falls below a certain point during normal gameplay (to save you in case of lag or slow reflexes I guess)

Yep, and where does it stop?

Play the game, or don't. Loopholes is one thing, Blizz built those into the game, but blatantly cheating via third party software is . . . cheating.

How far does one slide?

If you never push off from the top of the sliding board, you avoid the problem of sliding into the mud at the bottom of the slide.

Auto leave if your life gets too low? What is the purpose of Hardcore, then?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Auto leave if your life gets too low? What is the purpose of Hardcore, then?
Aye, I can see it. This creates the notoriety of having a Hardcore character, without taking the actual risks of a Hardcore character. Taking that logic, one can see the unfairness of the device and it stands as a cheat-not just to one's self, but to all others who take the risks and endure them.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Tiffany,

As other have already said, our stance on maphack at this forum is very clear-cut. Players who use maphack (for *any* reason) are not welcome here! You may disagree with our assessment of maphack, but that is a long-standing policy here and it's not open for debate.

I let your posts in the other thread stay up because it seemed like you were open to the possibility of discontinuing maphack use. But, your post in this thread appeared to be advocating maphack use.

If you want to continue to post here, you need to

- not use maphack
- not advocate the use of maphack on our forums.

Thanks.

Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
D-Dave,Jun 12 2003, 06: Wrote:Are you actualy serious about that?
Yes :)

Wanna run Nil with me?
Griselda,Jun 12 2003, 08:28 PM Wrote:Tiffany,

As other have already said, our stance on maphack at this forum is very clear-cut.  Players who use maphack (for *any* reason) are not welcome here!  You may disagree with our assessment of maphack, but that is a long-standing policy here and it's not open for debate.

I let your posts in the other thread stay up because it seemed like you were open to the possibility of discontinuing maphack use.  But, your post in this thread appeared to be advocating maphack use.

If you want to continue to post here, you need to

- not use maphack
- not advocate the use of maphack on our forums.

Thanks.

Griselda
Griselda: I'm honestly sorry. All I tried to do was answer that guy's question as to what "trigger-hack" was, and correct the impression gave by the previous poster that "chickentrigger" (where'd THAT term come from, anyway???) referred to the "chicken" thingy included in MH. That's all. :( I didn't INTEND to advocate using either program!!! No way. Really. I just tried to answer the guy's question, honest... :unsure:

I'm busy right now re-learning how to play WITHOUT MH, ok? I'm kinda surprised (And embarrassed!!) to realize that the stupid program really did mess up my playing and make me...well.... sorta careless. :blink:

I gotta practice finding my way around all the different maps and stuff, as well as (and I've already learned that this is the hardest part!!!) get used to dealing with boss monsters in Hell diff. WITHOUT knowing ahead of time what their abilities are!!!!

Don't nerf me from these forums or reject me from the AB place. I'm sick of all the jerks and creeps (mainly the PK types) I run into in HC pubby games. This Amazon basin sounds pretty awesome to me!!! I mean, to be able to TRUST PEEPS?? My hubby gets to do that with his clan, but his clan is sorta boring too I think. All they wanna do is rush to cows, then cow cow cow. Boooooooring!! :huh:

Anyway I'm working on getting used to no MH again. Trust me--the stupid program makes you develop a LOT of bad, lazy playing habits!! I didn't really know it till just lately, when I've been playing without it. It really DOES make the game too predictable and stuff.... :(
Tiffany_Scott,Jun 12 2003, 08:06 PM Wrote:...I gotta practice finding my way around all the different maps and stuff, as well as (and I've already learned that this is the hardest part!!!) get used to dealing with boss monsters in Hell diff. WITHOUT knowing ahead of time what their abilities are!!!! ...
I know what you mean about re-learning the game's tactics. Not to say that I was using anything that generated sloppy tactics—I've been out of it so long that I had no tactics to fall upon.

LoD does something funky to endgame confrontations: all the neat little gizmos and doodads built into the Expansion allows a player to prgress through the game faster. No one can deny that tossing an Act III merc into Act IV made blasting through the Plains of Despair and the City of the Dammed a much easier proposition from stock D2. Charms and whatnot got me through the game faster than I ever went before in the classic version, which only made me hit the wall ever so harder. The Chaos Sanctuary, which I had handled so confidently before, became a timid crawl-through as I was suddenly forced to re-establish the "creep forward a step—fight—creep forward a step" style of battle I had forgotten so long before in D1. If DeSeis hadn't humbled me to the fact at how underdeveloped my charcter truly was, Diablo was surely happy enough to pound that fact into me. Over and over and over again.

Ran through about 24 TP shots, and burned away 140K in gold with Ressurects, penalties, and potions. But that's to be expected with a level 25 Paladin with no Resists, no appreciable DR ("Chance that Diablo will hit you: 95%"), a mediocre sword, and a level 1 Concentration aura to power it. The fellow's so weak, he couldn't heft the Rare flamberge Big D dropped when he finally dropped.

I can appreciate the neccessity of re-learning tactics, and hope your course goes better than mine. I'm so rusty that, after the fight with Diablo, I came back to the Pan Fortress destitute, devoid of potions and in need of some good repair. I got back to my stash to deposit the gold I garned from the sale of the Diablo loot, and what do I see there? A whole column's worth of Full Rejuv potions I had completely forgotten about. During the Diablo fight I was scraping up gold from the Soulstone drop (selling a PRuby) in order to buy new potions from Jamella—and I had those purples sitting stupidly back in my stash. All the better a reminder to myself that I really suck at this... ;)
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Tiffany_Scott,Jun 13 2003, 04:06 AM Wrote:realize that the stupid program really did mess up my playing and make me...well.... sorta careless.  :blink:
Ah ha!

Now you see why we don't like it :)

To join the Amazon Basin read this
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/the_welcome_mat.php
then register on the forums. After 48 hours you gain access to the games
That's right...use it if you want to -- just don't mention doing so. It's the letter of the law that counts, not the intent.

Edit, addendum:

Aside from this 'policy', you may want to consider what you do to your play experience when you use it. In a pyschological sense, D2 is an intentional world; one wherein there are laws, much like physics, that govern not what you may do, but what you can do. These are restrictive parameters designed to bolster the realism of escapist realities. The reason they must never be broken is that as soon as you 'bend the spoon', to make a clever reference, you're eroding the immutable boundaries of the intentional world. It becomes much harder to maintain the escapee's mentality in your play experience and therefore to appreciate the weight of your accomplishments in the context of the world. That is, it's unsatisfying to make it through, say, the Arcane Sanctuary when you reduce your vulnerability to risk by 75%.

Be true to your fantasies. Breaking the rules of a system designed for fantasy enjoyment is a little like cheating in solitaire. Nobody's going to stop you, but don't expect a parade when you win.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
Ignatz,Jun 13 2003, 09:06 PM Wrote:That's right...use it if you want to -- just don't mention doing so. It's the letter of the law that counts, not the intent.
Is that a joke, Ignatz?
A playful one, yeah. :)

I absolutely 100% dislike anything that isn't game code interfering with my game. But I also like to hear from the other side, occasionally, just to understand the situation better. I wouldn't mind if the mods didn't censor as many posts from misusers of the game. (Unless they directly discuss how to cheat, where to find hacks, etc, of course.) It's not a big deal, but sometimes those guys start some interesting debates. *Shrug* Just a thought.

Edit: God, teach me to spell.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]