Speculation on auras for an avenger
i know conviction is the usual choice, it reduces elemental resistances and defense by wide amounts.

Where fanat adds a large damage bonus, AR and fast swinging.

But... Vengeance damage is calculated from your weapon damage. And fanat would boost the physical damage part of your weapon. so wouldnt vengeance go sky high? Great enough to surpass conviction in raw damage? If you count extra suspectibility for elemental damage once resistances has been lowered.

lets say, you have a 100 damage weapon, and you have lvl 20 vengeance, resulting in +184% lit damage, +184% cold damage and +184% fire damage, resulting in 652 damage, 100 physical and 552 elemental components. And with lvl 20 conviction you potential can do 1342 damage, 100 physical, and 1242 elemental damage.

Now taking fanatisism instead. my 100 damage +373% at lvl 20 fanatisism, becomes a physical damage component of 473 physical damage. And then we have vengeance again at lvl 20, +184% cold, lit and fire. And vengeance will add a staggering amount of 2610.96 elemental damage now! And reaching 3083.96 damage with the physical component.

Am i right here? Vengeance teoretically looks like an incredible fit for an aura increasing your physical damage output. And what if you have a might merc? Or is paired with a pally using concentration... This could result in insane vengance damage, since its calculated from the physical damage you do. And with just a 100 damage weapon, and not counting in strenght bonus. I shiver to think of just what it could potentially reach, and if what i say here is true.

And all this is just with 100 damage, if you factor in high strenght and a powerfull maul like cranium basher, the damage output could reach sickening highs...and even more if you have +skill items. This could easilly outdo firewall in sheer raw damage. And if we think of 1.10, and the proposed synergy bonuses from the elemental resist auras, im near fainting
No, the Vengeance damage is calculated from the base weapon damage alone. So always based off of 100 in your example.

- Dagni
doh. So much for that idea.. :/ It looked potentially powerfull.
Zeal as a main attack does not take many points if you have enough natural ar. Just a thought.
My paladins have high vengeance, which ends up being the second attack.
And once monster are tagged with conviction.... You may not add damage with fanatism but you will add speed wich will result in more damage per time.
You may find this guide very useful and should give you many ideas for aura use. It is a excellent guide by Tommi.

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/char5.html
41 dwarf priest stormrage Perchard
low lvl undead warlock terenas Slyshadow