PvM..PvP?
im sorry i am not a newbie to diablo... i jus havent caught onto new lingo for game..what do pvp and pvm mean? :blink:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Sir Stephen Henry Roberts
PvM = Player versus Monster

PvP = Player versus Player or Duelling
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

PK = Player Killer (just for kicks)
PKK = A character that kills player killers; a.k.a. anti-PKer

Just thought I'd throw those in since they seem to be along the same lines.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
lol, these terms still confuse me, and I've played for 2 years. Here are what the letters usualy stand for....

b=barb
s=sorc
d=druid
n=nec
a=amazon
ass=assassin
p=player
pk=player killer
nk=naked kill (you don't have your corpse and are killed) or no king (in cows, so you can remain opening. This is due to if somone kills the king for the first time in your game, you will no longer be able to open cows)
hc=hardcore
sc=soft core (or normal)

You will often see games like bvb, allthough these are usualy full of sorc <_< Oh, and usualy people who call you a noob (new player) have played for less time than yourself, so just ignore them :P
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
Hello,
Thank you ll for the information, it is really useful. And Kier i now what you mean, with level characters i get called 'stupid noob' all the time. And it's so funny :blink: when i come back with my 81 barb and watc them leave the game. haha..well thank you all i hope mabe we might be able to play with one anothe, i guess..
thanks again

-Magus :D
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Hello,
Thank you all for the information, it is really useful. And Kier i know what you mean, with my low level characters i get called 'stupid noob' all the time. And it's so funny :blink: when i come back with my 81 barb and watch them leave the game. haha..well thank you all i hope maybe we might be able to play with one another, i guess..
thanks again

-Magus :D
Trust me, you will get called a noob even when you have a level 99 char. I usualy just pick there chars to pieces, there is lots of information on this site which will help you do that :P
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
There should be a 'Diablo abbreviation reference guild' made sticky somewhere on this site ;)

Diablo Slang:
"noob" = it is suppose to mean a person who is new to the game and does not yet know all the rules or his way around, however in its current context on battle.net, its just an insult.
"twink" = to give items from one character to another that are of superior quality to what the character currently has.
"^ ^" equivalent to a smiley face, so I've been told
"L33t h4x0r" = a parody for someone who thinks they're all that but is really just a big "noob"

Typical .net Slang:
"cya" = see you
"l8er" = later
":)" = smiley face
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
You can move "noob" from Diablo Slang to .net Slang because that seems to be the insult of choice for most online gamers, regardless of which game they play.

Depending of which dialect of lamish they talk, you might hear: "n00b", "newb", "oob" or "00b" as well.

The ^^ is indeed a smiley, I first saw it on b.net back when the Asia realms were so bad that people from over there started playing on USWest because it worked better for them. I imagine the Asia realms really must have been bad. Imagine it's your eyebrows when you smile :)
kier,Jun 16 2003, 09:38 AM Wrote:Oh, and usualy people who call you a noob (new player) have played for less time than yourself, so just ignore them&nbsp; :P
Hey all. Just a quick note on being called a Noob or Newb. (Which ever way you spell it) IMHO, being called a noob is not such a bad thing, and dont understand why people use it as a derogatory term. Ok, so I am not quite as good at this computer game as you are (in your opinon) but that just means that I actually have a life and do not spend 22 hours a day playing computer games. So I am a noob at a computer game, and you are in fact a noob at everything real in life. ;)

Just some food for thought.

Swiftslayer2
On the flip side, people who pull the elitist "your rl obviously sucks and mine is great" card are equally annoying.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
That what PvM originally was.

And you guys forgot a few choice annoying comments. :)

cry some more noob
nuff said
woot
l33t dewd
pwned

and of course

kthxbye
Ghostiger,Jul 6 2003, 08:30 PM Wrote:That what PvM originally was.

And you guys forgot a few choice annoying comments. :)

cry some more noob
nuff said
woot
l33t dewd
pwned

and of course

kthxbye
And that my friends, is pvp
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
These are "my" definitions.

Newb(ie): Someone new to the game (originally short for new beginner)
Noob: People who aren't knew to the game, but aren't that good/smart/comprehend basic English (ie: most b.netters)
Then, of course, there is n00b. That is what I am, since I don't use wrings, iths, and bug valers ( :P ).