Sorceresses and magical immunes! :(
Hello,
I just recently started a new sorceress and she's been doing good. Nice damage with orb and everything. But i just defeated Baal in Nightmare and then milked Cows for everything they had. I then decided that i would try Hell, for the hell of it. And i soon realized that my skill points were so focused on ice and my frozen orb that i was screwed in blood moor with the zombies! :( Zombies! The reason why i focused ice is because it had best skill damage. All the others sucked. But now i must adjust, does anybody know what would help me in Hell? What attacks for each element should i focus on from now on? thank you in advance for all posts.

-Magus
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Sir Stephen Henry Roberts
Having just a single damage type is a bad idea, especially if you don't have a party that can deal with those immunes. Cold mastery doesn't need to be maxed for PvM, so you should have plenty of points left for a fire or lightning skill. They don't all suck :). Some are extremely powerful, and about all of them can be hell-viable with enough skill points and enough skill. Just pick one of the powerful ones and start boosting that and the mastery. If you equip your mercenary well, you could also get another source of damage there, though you'd still be best off dealing several types yourself.
adeyke,Jun 16 2003, 04:38 PM Wrote:Having just a single damage type is a bad idea
You found the wrong place to drop assertions like that. :lol:

A number of us at LL have one-tree Sorcies. I've got a couple of them in Act 5 Hell and they were mostly played solo. They're quite a good idea actually :P and stand as one of a number of ways to inject some fun back into the Sorceress class in LoD. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I revise my statement to "Having just a single damage type is a bad idea if you're trying to have the most powerful build you can," then. The choice of frozen orb as main/only skill because the other damage types "sucked" rather implies that this wasn't an intentional challenge :).
I have a great deal of knowledge in this area, as I've had at least one of each of the following sorceresses:

Each of these had at least 1 point in Warmth, Static, Energy Shield, and Frozen Armor with at least 3+skill items

Tri-Elementalist
Typical Nova/TS/Orb
Melee with nothing but Masteries and Static
Full DR with CB/TS/Orb
Meteor/Hydra/Orb

Because you do not mention your level, its difficult for me to say, however if you invested everything into cold and you don't plan on maxing out any other skill trees, I'd suggest a few points into static and since your doing static, might as well do nova and a few points into mastery.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Not really , actualy focusing on one tree allows more damage and DOES result in more power. The problem in focusing one tree is lack of versaility, because well... you can't be versatile with one type of damage. :)

If you focus strcitly on the fire spells, you'll kill anything that's not fire immune/resistant faster than a more balanced sorc. But, you'll simply suck against fire immunes.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hello,
Thank you all for your help , i''ll be sure to apply it to her and hopefully it works out.

-Magus
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Sir Stephen Henry Roberts
Cold skills are actualy great as a secondary skill. If you focus on fire/elec (or both) and then max one of the good cold skills, orb and blizzard are good. This is because the cold mastery doesn't increase damage, it increases the chance that the attack will ignore targets resistance (great for pvp, but not really needed for pvm). As for high damage, fire wall and meteor have more damage than any other skill in the game, nova and ts are high damage as well. combine this with the mastery to find the total damage. planning a sorc is important, you should know what damage she will be able to deal when she has maxed her skills.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
"cold mastery ... increases the chance that the attack will ignore targets resistance"

Nope. Cold Mastery reduces the target's resistance by a certain percentage, depending on the skill level of CM. Example: slvl 1 CM reduces target resistance by 23%. If a target had, say, 75% Cold Resist, it would now have 57.75% Cold Resist (75 - (75*0.23)). Cold Mastery will not reduce target resistance below 0% and has no effect on Cold Immunes.

"Ignore targets resistance" implies (at least to me) that the resist will always be set to 0. That's not the case.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
Magus_Omin,Jun 15 2003, 11:09 PM Wrote:Hello,
    I just recently started a new sorceress and she's been doing good. Nice damage with orb and everything. But i just defeated Baal in Nightmare and then milked Cows for everything they had. I then decided that i would try Hell, for the hell of it. And i soon realized that my skill points were so focused on ice and my frozen orb that i was screwed in blood moor with the zombies! :( Zombies! The reason why i focused ice is because it had best skill damage. All the others sucked. But now i must adjust, does anybody know what would help me in Hell? What attacks for each element should i focus on from now on? thank you in advance for all posts.

-Magus
Assuming you're around level 60-65, there are lots of ways to tackle cold immunes.

1. Get an elemental damage weapon for your weapon switch and whack/fire away! I'm sure that Larzuk in NM can sell some decent weapons with some good elemental damage. If you've got the patience, you can try to find one that has both fire and lightning damage.

2. You can try to level up and put a point into one of the other skills in the other 2 trees. From what you've said, I'm guessing that you have a cold-tree sorc with a few points into warmth. Start dropping a point or two and let your +skills (if any) take them up a few more levels. I've got a sorc that uses hydra as her third skill and with +skill items, it's at level 10 with 7 in mastery. Not great in terms of damage, but it's a third back-up. It's not supposed to be the main damage dealer.

3. Get a merc. You could try the Act III ones with fire or lightning. Or you could equip one of the other 3 with a good weapon (maybe one you can't use?) and let them take down the cold immunes.

4. Find some people and play with them. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Is this so? i thought it just increased the chances of ignoring the targets res, so if you had a 25% cold mastery, in 1 in 4 cases that char would have 0% res. ah well, new to me :D
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
I bet the one tree sorcy will be much fmore fun with the 1.10 synergies
Striker,Jun 17 2003, 03:13 PM Wrote:1. Get an elemental damage weapon for your weapon switch and whack/fire away!
2. You can try to level up and put a point into one of the other skills in the other 2 trees.
3. Get a merc.
4. Find some people and play with them. :)
(1, 2) For the elemental weapon switch, there are unique bows/xbows with explosive arrows/bolts. They don't need AR (just in case you haven't been pumping your Dex), some deliver decent fire dmg over a comfortable range... &, from what I've heard, pts. in Fire Mastery increase that dmg. (And if you're thinking that, same source also says Enchant is bugged for bows.)

(3, 4) If you're on US East, I'd be more than happy to party with you. I have a boltress just starting Hell, & I have had a "few" pts. into FO+Hydra to help me lvl. It'll be great having a party player who's not constantly asking me if I have any "ph4t lewt". Also, my Ginthers-wielding merc would be glad of the company. ("If I had ph4t lewt shouldn't I be using better gear")
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile