Sorceress in Hell. PvM FO/CM
Hello,
I've just gotten my new sorceress to Hell and I was wondering what skills in fire and ligtning i should focus more on since there are so many resistances. What is the best idea? thanks in advance for replies.

-Magus :D
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Sir Stephen Henry Roberts
You have several choices....I'll list four of the more popular ones (2 from each tree):

Fire Tree:
Meteor - High damage, and burn period increases with levels - Have to learn strategic meteor placement to deal signifigant damage (takes a bit more aim than Frozen Orb, but Orb then meteor is usually enough to get you a hit because of chill)

Hydra - Low damage individually, but it fires 3 shots per cycle (so 3x the listed damage makes it moderate damage), and autoaim makes it very good for scouting attacks (and with chill will deal out decent fire damage). - Less damage than meteor, but easier to use (ie meteor is faster in the hands of a skilled player, hydra is better for someone still learning)

Lightning Tree:
Nova - Decent damage at high levels, no casting delay either - costs a lot of mana, but can level areas quickly with decent faster cast rate (works good with chill so you can get more off before repositioning).

Thunder Storm - Decent damage and semi-passive - a fire and forget lightning skill, deals damage into the thousands easily but only shoots off at intervals and can't be targeted.

Other skills you may want to look up (although they are less popular - and usually somewhat inefficient unless built exclusively around them):
Fire Wall
Fireball
Blaze
Charged Bolt
Chain Lightning
Glacial Spike
Blizzard
Frost Nova
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
I tend to like to go with firewall with frozen orb because when you chill the monsters with orb they stay in the FW long enough to die. Besides, when you run into something your orb cannot kill (cold immune) it will not likely be a huge line of monsters, usually just one or two. Fire wall is GREAT for singling out certain monsters. I also suggest that you put a couple points into static field. Great for those high-hp monsters. Hope I helped.
Layzdhc
Current project: Werebear (lvl 50)
Future projects: TMNT!!
Might I suggest Chain Lightning. Despite the fast cast bug associated with CL (CL cast speed is based on your sorc's attack speed, not cast speed! Talk about bad copy-paste code jobs!), it's still an awesome skill. Put a few points in it and cast it on a big crowd. You'll fall in love with it like I did :D
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
On the fire tree I'd choose meteor. It has high impact damage, and allthough it helps to have chilled foes, with practice you can make it so even cold emune foes walk straight into it. Try and max fire mastery with this spell. Fire wall is also good, but (especialy if you play on the net, or have a barb merc) you can slaughter enemeys much better with meteor, as it doesn't take time to kill. Also the fires will stay for a long time.

For the electricity tree, I'd go for TS. This is because nova burns mana fast, and because you have not built your sorc to use nova, it probably won't cope with the mana requirements. Again get the mastery high or max, and I suggest getting static field quite high as well.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.