Must .... control.... Anger....
Omfg, of all the times... Im muling in a game with a friend, its been like 10 mins so my friend decides to leave and go do runsso im like ok. I keep muling for a few mins, finally I get down to the last item to move.. my prized wizardspike and rhyme shield i just made (this is HC and im really poor).. what do ya think happens? "FAILD TO JOIN GAME" followed by "REALM DOWN".

I am so sick of this sh*t, it took me 3 weeks of playing to put together enough stuff to trade for spike and a shael for rhyme... back to using my leaf staff now.. ::puke:: :huh:
But I get that all the time...alt Q quits out of the failed to join game message, then it's usually followed by the realm down claim. But signing back on again almost always yields a screen full of characters. I would say, and I have no idea why this happens, that I get a 'Failed to Join Game' message about every third game I join or make. It really pissed me off until I figured out the alt Q move.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
sorry man. that has happened to me a lot. :(
"Omfg", "its been like 10 minutes", "im like ok." "::puke::"?

Why do I have this image of a frizzy-haired 12-year-old girl from the 80s, trying in vain to emulate a Valley accent?

FAQ and the Rules are linked on the top right. I suggest a careful, methodical read.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Thanks for the warning MR. Forum Nazi Gastappo officer. Just to clear things up, I am a 20 year old college student at Flordia State University, Male 5'11'' , likes long walks odd short bridges...

Thanks for the sympathy you first two who understand my loss.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 19 2003, 05:19 AM Wrote:FAQ and the Rules are linked on the top right.  I suggest a careful, methodical read.
FYI, the FAQ doesn't seem to touch this topic. The Rules, on the other hand, vaguely mentions that you shouldn't type in all caps, and otherwise follow common sense. I think it could be argued that using common internet acronyms and the word "like" would violate good netiquette, and I don't believe it warrants insulting the "offender" (which, again, can be discussed).

This is the second time in two days I respond to a post where someone try to enforce some rules even if they're either very vaguely mentioned in the rules or not at all. Why don't you leave it to the moderators instead of trying to administrate a thread on your own? I think this place will be more pleasant that way.

As for my worst loss due to a realm down -- a nice golden Monarch. :( I *just* had enough time to id it, and see the awesome stats, then got Realm Down. Needless to say, Battle.net hadn't saved my character. :angry:
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
Quote:I *just* had enough time to id it, and see the awesome stats, then got Realm Down. Needless to say, Battle.net hadn't saved my character.

I know how it is, I used to be upset about the loss of my first bloodletter 1,5 year ago...
This is not a great loss but back then that was the best weapon I found, they also took 3 rare manaleech rings with nice mods from me (in the same way, connection interrupt/failed join,realm down,me cry) after they disabled the manaleech mod on rare rings.

They are sneaky little bastards, yes they are !!! :ph34r:
My very first HC unique in SP happened to be a Gull, from Andy in Normal, and I lost it one minute later, when the game crashed trying to load the transition video. gnrft
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
Jugalator,Jun 19 2003, 03:44 AM Wrote:This is the second time in two days I respond to a post where someone try to enforce some rules even if they're either very vaguely mentioned in the rules or not at all. Why don't you leave it to the moderators instead of trying to administrate a thread on your own? I think this place will be more pleasant that way.
Hi Jugulator

In fact there is a set of rules that specifically mention Lounge posting Etiquette.

They can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/elricofgrans/lounge.html

Item four covers it quite clearly. Admittedly these are not posted at the top of the forum. Perhaps that should be rectified. But they are put forth by one of the Administrators and they do lay out some expectations for Lurkers.

The Administrators of the forum are not the only custodians of proper behaviour. We are all responsible as members. We can and should try to be tactful about it, but that does not mean we should not guard our forum, lest it descend to the lowest common denominator.

As to the original point of this thread:

I have only recently started to play on a Realm, after almost three years of SP or TCP/IP games. I suffered my first blow in that regard yesterday. I had just completed a NM Meph run with an Assassin who was getting pasted in Hell Act V, and had laid my charms out in town to make space to pick up the drops. I got booted and could not re-join. That sucked badly too, as she needed those resist and life charms badly to survive in Hell.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

OrpheusPrime,Jun 19 2003, 03:11 AM Wrote:Just to clear things up, I am a 20 year old college student at Florida State University
Hi OrpheusPrime,

Sadly, you didn't write like a 20 year old college student, did you? I would like to assume that your frustration needed venting and that caused a temporary lapse in your writing skills. B)

After almost three years of SP and TCP/IP play, I have recently started to play on a Realm and have found out for myself some of those frustrations - like hitting a lag spike and coming out of it dead. Or, as I mentioned in another response on this thread, losing some carefully collected life and resist charms. Frustrating indeed when you cannot replace them because you are item poor, and a catch-22 in that you needed the item to be able to collect more items. :(

You do have my sympathy.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:This is the second time in two days I respond to a post where someone try to enforce some rules even if they're either very vaguely mentioned in the rules or not at all. Why don't you leave it to the moderators instead of trying to administrate a thread on your own? I think this place will be more pleasant that way.

One would assume that in the six months since you've joined (and I'll even give you the benefit of assuming you had the brains to lurk before joining the old forum as well), you would have learned that MEMBERS patrol the forums and Administrators rely heavily on that. The Admins cannot be online 24 hours a day, nor see or read every thread that pops up. That would be why the "Report this thread" link exists.

Now, seeing as you have had more than adequate time to actually KNOW better, I would suggest you sit down and shut up. Take a look around, Hoss; there are MANY members here that step up to the bat when someone makes an idiotic post in subject or demeanor. Perhaps, if you get yourself in line, you could join them and make an effort to keep a community where it seeks to be.

You want this "place" to be more pleasant? Help to insure the rules of conduct and expectations. Otherwise, we'll descend into the Pubby Chat Crap that occupies dii.net and battle.net forums. I wouldn't want to see that happen. Would you?
Garnered Wisdom --

Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote: Thanks for the warning MR. Forum Nazi Gastappo officer. Just to clear things up, I am a 20 year old college student at Flordia State University, Male 5'11'' ,

That's "Gestapo", genius. Here's a link for you; you might find it helps you in your studies as well:

Dictionary.com

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck. Claims to being in one's twenties and a University student hold little impact when you write like a chimpanzee who's attending Grade 7. It also helps if you run a spell-checker so that claiming to attend a university in a state you cannot spell doesn't look quite as ridiculous.

You joined this forum yesterday; you made a post or three. It is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that you didn't take the time to look around to get a feeling for how discussions are conducted here, nor give a rat's ass. My suggestion was tame, I assure you. There are more than a few here that could attest to my own personal version of "not tame".

Take the advice offered, and take the chip off your shoulder.
Garnered Wisdom --

ShadowHM,Jun 19 2003, 12:08 PM Wrote:Hi Jugulator

In fact there is a set of rules that specifically mention Lounge posting Etiquette.

They can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/elricofgrans/lounge.html

Item four covers it quite clearly.&nbsp; Admittedly these are not posted at the top of the forum.&nbsp; Perhaps that should be rectified.&nbsp; But they are put forth by one of the Administrators and they do lay out some expectations for Lurkers.&nbsp;

The Administrators of the forum are not the only custodians of proper behaviour.&nbsp; We are all responsible as members.&nbsp; We can and should try to be tactful about it, but that does not mean we should not guard our forum, lest it descend to the lowest common denominator.
The reason to why I got a little annoyed by Nicodemus' post was because nothing I could see in either the Rules or FAQ said that you shouldn't use terms such as "omfg" or overuse of words such as "like". I thought that was nitpicking, but I'll not continue discussing the matter since it's apparently the members' responsibility to strike down quickly on users who use such words and causing the thread go off-topic, instead of PM'ing the abuser of the english language.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Jun 19 2003, 03:43 PM Wrote:Take a look around, Hoss; there are MANY members here that step up to the bat when someone makes an idiotic post in subject or demeanor. Perhaps, if you get yourself in line, you could join them and make an effort to keep a community where it seeks to be.
How do I get "in line"? OK, I'll start insult and talk to people in a sarcastic and degrading way for saying "like" two times too many and using a single abbreviation where it shouldn't be. I'll hereby not tolerate any crossings of this fine line and aggresively attack people who type "i" instead of "I". Fine... I'll now fullfill your second wish and shut up.
Online Play. Its an unfortunate fact of existence on Bnet that these things will happen at least once to everyone and you have my sympathy. If I could make a small suggestion: prized items should be muled first and always with a trusted friend to hold the item in their inventory while you get the character. To leave it on the ground is to tempt the lag monster too much to not eat the game whilst your away.

Again, sorry to hear that you lost these items. If they were Softcore I'd gladly donate what you need to replace it as I don't use Wizardspike on my sorcs.
1. Nico is correct. I will present, however, a different approach to what he addresses:

This is not a chat room. The group norm is that we converse as though we knew how to communicate in lucid prose. Show the group the courtesy of the effort to conform to the group norm, and the group will welcome you with open arms. Sneer at the group norm and you may find the group either returns the sneer, or shuns you. It is all within your power to control.

2. Losing stuff. I have lost any number of nifty items, and untold gems, due to realms down or bnet disconnects, or my ISP spazzing out on me. In some cases, it was stuff I had just found and did not save via the immediate 'save and exit' method, or via the risks of muling on bnet.

Muling is not supported. When the game was released, Blizz advised all players, at least those who bothered to read the manual, that the risks of muling are our own. It is a caveat emptor situation. Loss is a risk anyone who mules takes. Put into a pithy phrase: Bnet giveth and bnet taketh away.

While some here are sympathetic to your loss, having run into the same bnet feature, I am moved to suggest that you 'stop whining about it take it like a man.'

Something else you like will drop soon enough: the pinata's are always refilled on battle.net. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 19 2003, 07:57 AM Wrote:... Something else you like will drop soon enough: the pinata's are always refilled on battle.net. :D
That's piñata...

Ugh. With your Texan connection, Occhi, I just had a horrible image flash through my head: one of Peggy Hill in an Assassin getup of black leather and silver chain. :unsure:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
How did you do that?

Quote: piñata...

When I try, I can't put the tilde over the n, only next to it.
In Memory of Pete
If Nico's style does not suit you, try Shadow's. Same intention, different style, different approach. Sarcasm was noted, of course.

You are a frequent dii.net poster, I still read your stuff there now and again, and Nico takes a pretty popular Lurker position: no one here wants the Lounge forums to turn into dii.net. When norms and standards are not upheld to a certain level, degradation of quality, or maybe a certain form of internet entropy, is the result.

Quality really is a guiding principle of Bolty's site. Rather than 'let it slip' folks here prefer to stand up and be counted, each in his own way and style.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

You could use the international keyboard setting. That makes it possible to type all the diacriticals using a combination of the left shift and alt keys. It is a bit of a pain to use, since you need to type a space after things like " to make them work right. I used to use it since it gave me easy access to things like the degree mark, °, and mu, µ, which I needed all the time. To set that up, use the keyboard icon in the control panel. A Google search should give you a copy of the layout of the international keyboard.

Second way is to use the Character Map applet. For some strange reason, I don't think this is installed by default on most Windoz systems, but you can use the add/remove programs icon of the control panel to add it. Then it is just a case of copying the symbol you want.

Finally, you could find a list of extended ASCII values. Such a list will give you the Alt+keystroke values for all the ASCII characters. For instance Alt+0241 will give you ñ.

Have fun :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?