1st Ladder character
My thoughts lately seem to be filled with one question......What character will I make first on the dupe free, fresh start ladder?

I guess I am leaning toward the Druid. Since there will be no muling, I will have no leech rings to start with, and the druid does have hunger. I also will not have to worry about masteries, and can use any good weapon I find. And the thought of geddon or hurricane in wolf or bear form....

Necro is probably my second, as a necro can dominate the game now naked. I can't imagine him with his skills pumped up and synergies.

Zon is very item dependant on her bow. Remember when LOD first came out with your 120 damage rare gothic bow?

Barbarian is normally my favorite character. Go anywhere kill anything. But also very item dependant.

Assassin is also a good choice with a built in leech skill, and a resist adding skill. Claws seem to drop at a good rate too, but that could change.

Sorcy is also a little item dependant, but not so much as a melee character. I guess I'm a little sorced out.

Paladin also seems to be very item dependant. I'll never forget my first Lod paladin walking out onto the Outer Steeps with a Plague bearer in hell. It was not pretty.

What are your plans for 1.10?
I think that I am going to stick with barbarian for the time being. Masteries I won't worry about until later when I find the weapon I want to use (which I really like mauls...I found one the other day and am trying to build up my barb's strength so he can use it). Don't want to put points in a Mastery I never use. I think for the most part I'm going to go with a defensive barb, since I doubt those skills would be nerfed (Shout, Iron Skin, and Battle Orders). I also might see what weapons and items I have and see if I want to bother raising Whirlwind or not (I also want to see if they happen to nerf it or not).

My other choice should I decide that I really don't want to try to get a barb through all those areas again is a necromancer. I've always wanted to make a summon's only necro and with them beefing up skellys this is something that is very possible now. I just better hope I can do ok in games with lots of people because of the lag my summons can cause (which then I would probably just keep to using skeleton mages). I'm not entirely sure which golem I'd build up a little, except maybe Fire Golem. That's always been my favorite :).

I don't think I will ever stand a chance of getting on the ladder at all, so I just decided that any ladder character I make will be for pure fun. I'm not going to worry about trying to get a place on it.

I'm curious how in regular channels they'll show the difference between normal characters and ladder characters. I would guess their name might be in a different color and it would prolly say "Ladder" on their quick info thing when you hover your mouse over their character in chat.
Definitely elemental druid. In 1.09 he's already the easiest character to get through normal difficulty with in my opinion. The spells don't cost a ton of mana, and with carrion/solar vine recharging you it's easy to stay alive and with ammo. Fissure owns most of act 2 and now I can put points in it without worrying about wasting them due to synergies. I look forward to having armageddon pour down, while casting volcanoes and fissures and get nearby enemies away from me with rolling boulder.
Charged bolt sorceress for me. She probably won't be the fastest leveler in the beginning, but I think (hope) that with the new synergies, CB will become more powerful. It's already a decent skill with maxed CB/LM. The new emphasis is going to be on killing a lot of monsters quickly, rather than killing one (boss) quickly. That means area of effect skills, or very fast melee attacks (zeal, fury, etc). I would agree that an elemental druid could do well, considering that a druid can have decent elemental spells, plus a leeching melee drumbeat. I just happen to think that with area of effect cold and lightning spells, a sorceress will be quite capable in the patch. :unsure:

This is, of course, all speculation, based on data that are going to become horribly inaccurate once we reach nirvana. ;)

It is also something to consider that there is going to be a much stronger empahsis on partying, which could place a Paladin at an advantage simply because he can bolster the other members of his party to kill that much faster, even if he does nothing but tag along.
Thorns Necro for me :)
wonkothesane,Jun 22 2003, 11:05 PM Wrote:She probably won't be the fastest leveler in the beginning,
Well, I sorta agree. I think a Fire Blast asn is the fastest leveler in the beginning. No, the CB sorc is probably only the second fastest. :P

Level 30 skills like FO or Hydra don't even exist in the beginning, unless you define 'beginning' way differently than me. And I seriously DO think that CB or Fire Blast is the best skill to dominate Normal difficulty with.

Likewise, CB sorcies are already very good, thanks to LM, which already is basically just a very good synergy bonus (and IS boosted with +skills items). So I don't think that CB is going to gain much, if anything, from new synergy bonuses. But we'll see.

- Dagni
Necro, summoner. Zoo Keeper. Max Skellies.

I think Hell will be difficult for non twinked characters and every party will want alot of bodies to hide behind so I think I'll be welcomed in any group =)
Fireball sorcie for me. Have one now and she's been very effective from the start, even without twinking.
In my mind, my dreams are real. No one's concerned about the way I feel.
A necro of some kind.. Im in act2 NM with a Bonespear necro right now and hes a blast, however im waiting to see how all the diffirent synergies pan out on the arreat summit.. It would be really cool to do a poision expolsion necro =).
I'm gonna go with a Phoenix Strike Assassin on hardcore. I doubt she'll make it very far, but that's ok.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
No word yet on how synergies, etc. will affect the Paladin BH, but I think that my first char will be a throwback, BH/smite. Almost completely unresistable and able to kill any single monster in the game to boot.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
If there are the same amout of "magic immune" not elemental but generic magic(like b.spear and hammer), monsters in the game as there are now, that would be true.. however I think in hell 1.10 you might find some phys / magic immunes here and there. ;)
Nice ideas everyone, I'm digging it.

I envy you necro players, because that's where my heart is, but my mind can't just get past a frenzy/double swing (battle-hammering) barbarian (assuming a synergistic damage enhancement for DubSwing).
I have been sweating over the numbers like never before, like Henry Hill on April 16th, like Stephen Hawking on Mountain Dew.
...and all for naught till that damned read-me is on my screen. Enough with the 'build the suspense' teasers Mr. Frazier Sir, just tell your friends drop the goddam patch. I can't take anymore cliffhanging this's or anticipated that's! Norman Bates is his mother! Frodo lives! Einhorn is Finkle! 1.10 will be COOL! Bring it on already!!
:D
Ahh well.

Back to the drawing board...

Hmm... 4 over the nine carry the six...

Five attacks per second... drrooool.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
I have three chars that I want to play, I'll probably start 'em all in the beginning and play them in one week shifts.

1) A summoning necro. I have always thought that the necro was EXTREMELY cool but he was kinda *cough* slow. Now with improved skeletons and synergies it should be very viable. Also, I'm interested in how the synergies affect the curses.

2) A mace/maul barb. I'm thinking of leap attacking in with a beefy maul then switching to dual maces for lots of frenzy fun!

3) A sorceress of some kind. Because I've always been fond of cool, lots of damage spells!

After I'm done with those I'll probably try to play a pally, unless there is a good supply, in which case I'll play a assassin
"Hydrogen and stupidity are the two most common things in the universe" - Harlan Ellesen
"I beat you with a stick!" - ChromaticOnion
I just wonder if the massive increase in monster life, won't negate all the changes to necros. Even if skeletons have more life, if they don't do more damage they will still suck. To bad elemental charms do not add to mage damage. I wish they would limit revives to like 10, and just make them badd asses, and get rid of the 3 minute timer.

What I am really afraid of is that 1 year from now (if the patch is out) that every single necro on bnet will have to wear trangs set to be viable. After playing for 3 years I have never seen the belt or helm drop anyway. They can make monsters drop all they want, but if they dont change treasure classes and monster TC it will not help.
An necromancer with maxed bone prison and bone spirit(it always has been my favourite skill, looks good,used to duel 1vs4 with this skill 2 years ago,it was just underpowered after a certain patch) some extra points in attract,lowres and deceprify. And I'll just take 1 point in revives for meat shields.

Or it will be an elemental druid with a strong molten boulder + synergy skills (this one will still take some thinking though).

I'll remain playing hardcore. :)
dmen-bigritchie,Jun 24 2003, 04: Wrote:every single necro on bnet will have to wear trangs set to be viable.
Well, this is no longer an answer directly to Dmen-bigritchie but I thought I would address this point

It's a no-twink realm. Even more no-twink than 1.08 was at the start

The shopping list mentality of looking through the sets and uniques list is simply not applicable

Any build will sink or swim on skills not items
I'm making a frenzy babo. I don't care about having to find two uber-weapons. I'll survive :)
I'm pondering between asn and nec. Most likely asn though.. of all classes, I've played her the least. HC of course B)
g33k
Sacrifice, Holy Fire, Holy Freeze, Holy Shock, with a coupla support skills added (Cleansing, Holy Shield, Salvation, maybe slvl 4 zeal for PIs).

He won't be a killing machine, but he'll be able to deal four damage types at zero mana cost.