I was invisible for 30 seconds!
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this one. After killing Shenk the Overseer (in nightmare), me (a bowazon) my merc, and my amazon went invisible for about 30 seconds. The screen was not locked, and I could see our cursors moving around on the automap, but we were quite "not there". No harm done, and I have to wonder if it was just my graphics chip trying to keep up with the overload bombardment that happens when Shenk dies. I also had two of Mephisto's soulstones- one in the chest, and one on the ground back in Pandemonium that it wouldn't let me pick up. Curiouser and curiouser...
Anything done for the first time unleashes a demon.
-Cerebus the Aardvark
Just overload on the graphics; this used to happen all the time, for example when amazons stacked immolation arrows (without the timer and with a looong duration prior to 1.09). Blizz changed some skills to be easier on the graphics (mostly through timers on spells such as firewall).

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Generaly happens when you "lag". A nec can cause this by creating a bone wall and then repeatedly cursing, causing the screen to go blank, and you to run at a slower time. This tactic, and the fact that when Shenk dies, he creates lots of catapult shots to land in the area he hangs around, killing any monsters. This can cause lag, as can many other animations which occur when certain uni monsters/bosses die.

The soulstone miracle was caused by the fact you can only have 2 soulstones at any 1 time, as on each difficulty, there is only one soulstone quest, and since you can't play more than one difficulty in the same game, you can only have one soulstone in each game.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
I once entered a cow game where someone had filled the screen with what looked like millions of 1-piece gold coins. My game almost froze, but I noticed that I was invisible on the screen.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
That tactic is often done in pvp games. Again, it's an overload on the graphics, and extremely nasty if you don't have a good conection.
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,