Free merc after midnight
Hi all,

Sorry if it has already been reported.

I was farming with my zon, in D2LoD 1.09d, single player and without my might merc. What was my surprise when I saw a glow in the middle of the dark, and in its center, this ! Cleaned my eyes, and typed "o" (my hotkey to get the merc icon). Nothing appeared or disappeared. I checked the hotkey in my key configuration, made no mistake.

First she was still, then she started following me, and attacking cows. She was impressively resistant to cows attacks - I had set players 8 for a while, any non-steroid act1 random merc should die in one hit under such an attack. She handled a unique cow (see screenshot), i.e. beared many hits my char couldn't have beared. After like 8 or 9 actual hits (without counting those the cow missed), she died. The unique cow was cold enchanted, stone skin and spectral hit, immune to physical ; I would have been curious to see whether this merc would have been able to harm a non PI cow...she was supposed to have random gear, not uber gear I would have given her.

Went back to town, tried to resurrect her - bribed Kashya - but no way. My might merc was the active merc (died several parties earlier, didn't bother resurrecting him).

So, any idea ? What is this glitch ?
--- ALnitak --->

Dexazon-devoted single player

Artemis - level 99 windexazon - 673 dex so far (reachable goal : 737 dex)
I've never had it happen, but I do remember reading a post quite some time ago that sounds like it could be related to whatever phenomenon caused your "free merc". So this is technically hearsay, but I believe I recall the post pretty well.

In the post, if I recall correctly, someone was soloing cows, and had killed every one except the King. As he wandered around, checking drops, he saw and heard Charged Bolts coming in from off screen. His first thought was "some idiot entered my game and is killing the King!" So he ran over, and there stood not one, but three Rogues, all plinking away at the Cow King. He compared them to Flavie, who stands at the end of the Blood Moor and tells you not to go any further until you've cleared the Den of Evil. They didn't do a lot of damage, but it did set off the Charged Bolts, and they didn't appear to take much, if any, damage from it. Very weird. No one else was in the game.

I don't remember if the original post was here or somewhere else. Can anyone else confirm?

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Thanks for this input... Precision : I hadn't cleared al the cow level (there were still pakcs here and there), and this rogue didn't shoot her lightning bolts.
--- ALnitak --->

Dexazon-devoted single player

Artemis - level 99 windexazon - 673 dex so far (reachable goal : 737 dex)
Heiho,

I think Orbert referred to the bolts the king was emitting, not the +3missiles from the WonderwomanRogues ;-)

And yes, I also have read reports on this subject. Seems the same effect which sometimes causes monster spawns in town (last report I know was a Sand Leaper in Lut Gholein, didn't do any attacks in town at least, the nasty critter)
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
librarian is correct. I just didn't say anything because... well, it's not that big a deal :shrug:

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.