1.10 trangs
WARNING - 1.10 SPOILERS (SO TO SPEAK) FROM D2.NET INFORMATION

According to information at D2.net, the 1.10 trang will come with a lot of new bonuses, including Sorc skills:

Partial Set Bonuses:
• Wearing any two items: +15% Mana Regeneration, +18 to Fire Ball
• Wearing any three items: +15% Mana Regeneration, +13 to Fire Wall
• Wearing any four items: +15% Mana Regeneration, +10 to Meteor

http://www.diabloii.net/items/v110/sets-trangs.shtml

This may be a nifty way to turn necros into Vampires (as suggested). However, it seems very exploitable. A sorc with two items -- how about gloves and belt -- gets a whopping +18 to fireball, taking her max fireball well over level 50.

With 3 items, she gets a huge fire wall boost. If those are belt, gloves, and armor, it robs her of just +3 fire skills. So she's up essentially +10.

(Note that new items and new nods may change this calculus slightly, for example the +1 skills belt).

Anyway, it seems to me that the end result is an even stronger fire sorc -- just what the game needs.
I would have to say that D2.net is going off the erroneous leaked info from a couple months ago. The only official shot we have is here: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/images/ot...ther/vamp01.jpg and all the +skills are in gold, which means complete set bonus, not partial. Partials are still listed in green with the sets that can get them in LOD, not gold, even when the set is complete. There is a damage reduced by 25% and a lightning resist of 50% partial for the armor there, but the skills are complete set bonuses.

So, no worries there.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I don't know. I'm pretty sure partial set bonuses are listed in gold.

Partial set bonuses to specific items are listed in green (i.e. 30% ias on sigon's gloves)
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
There are two kinds of partial set bonuses: bonuses on specific items of the set (those appear in green and are only listed on the specific items), and bonuses for wearing any X parts of the set (those appear in gold and are included in the global set bonuses).

In 1.09, the first kind of bonuses can only be found on old classic sets. They were a way of boosting them. But there were none on the new Xpack sets.
Apparently, they're really doing LoD all over again: boosting existing sets in the same way.

So, in fact, the official shot doesn't provide any info about the set's partial bonuses.

The +skills could be partial set bonuses, if they haven't changed that from the leaked version.
Let's hope they've realized their mistake and have changed that.
This topic came up at the AB once already. I think the best guess was that the +18 fireball is not really "+18 fireball", but will give you the fireball skill at lvl 18 to cast. Just like charged items, but using mana.

If a sorc equips the 2 pieces for +18 fireball, I'd expect that she would now have 2 different fireball skills, 1 at lvl 18, and 1 at her normal skill lvl. Just like if a sorc equips the mace that allows you to cast frozen orb.

This is of course a guess, maybe Blizz is actually silly enough to give a sorc +18 fireball. Wait till 1.10 to be sure. :)
From some quick tests that I did, the +18 fireball for any other char becomes +3 fireball for sorceress. Same goes for +18 inferno on the unique balrog blade; it simply becomes +3. The trang oul set actually says +3 when you look at the bonuses (instead of saying +18 for necromancer).
Quote:The trang oul set actually says +3 when you look at the bonuses (instead of saying +18 for necromancer).

Aha! So that's how they handled it. Makes sense that at least there is some bonus to an existing skill.

BTW, there is a item(runeword I think) that adds massively to Battle Command, and maybe a few other warcrys in the same way. Gives the skill to a non barb, but only gives +3 to a barb using it.