Items disappearing in town frighteningly fast?
I used to be able to store items in town and they'd remain for the entire game as long as I'd return to town at least in half an hour or so.

Now, items vanish in minutes.

I'm only playing in act 1 right now with a new elemental druid. But, this really sucks. YOu can no longer keep a stockpile of potions in town, or load up your inventory with spare items and keep them in town for later use. You're stuck with just your stash to store items, because your inventory is going to be full of charms and new loot.

Is this act 1 only, or just me? IMO, this is a horrible change. I'd prefer mana potions to not be store sold, than to have this...
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
The old time limits were
15 minutes Normal Items: Potions, white junk, gemmed gear.
60 minutes Magical: Blue Yellow, Gold etc.

So have you tried leaving a magic something-crappy for half an hour yet? Per your description I'm guessing maybe 5 minutes is the limit for potions, but this one's for the MPQ readers. :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I just sacrificed my favorite wolf helm to prove that something is screwed up.

After stepping into the sewers and reemerging 16 minutes later, my wolf helm of light and potion of rejuvenation - gone.

And I can't believe that the old limit was 15 minutes on potions, because i'd keep 30 full rejuves on the ground for entire games and never lose them.

There were times when I'd come back and find some of my items had disappeared, but never everything, and the disappearance pattern seemed random.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
OK, a couple of tests.

A rejuve potion disappeared in about 5 minutes in town.

A ring of energy did not.

Potions might be 5 minutes, and magic items 10, now? I just spent over half an hour with my thumb in my ear waiting items to disappear or not, so I don't want to do any more tests at the moment.

However, it's obvious that things have changed for the worse. If this is not a bug, then the stash space needs to be more than doubled. The player inventory, horadric cube, and stash are not large enough to make up for losing the town as a storage location.

Edit: For the record, this was done in Lut Gholien, by stepping into the sewers
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
from the recnt fansite chat:
Quote:Can you do something about the hordes of ears in dueling games?

Battle.Net Development Team: Ears (and all items) that are left on the ground will now get deleted after a few minutes. Also, we've added the "/nopickup" command which makes it so that you have to have the "alt" key down to pick up items (preventing accidental pickups.)

Now, although this is meant to be about 1.10, i can't see why it couldn't have been implemented on Bnet already, since all bnet has to do is send an 'item is no longer there' message to your game, and it will obey, requiring no client side code other than what's already there.

Just an idea

-Bob
Not only has the time an item will remain if unattended been reduced, but the "Attendance Area" is much smaller.

Before, just having someone in town seemed to be enough to keep items from evaporating.

Now, it looks like the items are considered "unattended" if a player is more than ONE SCREEN away.

We had one player (the game host) park his character near Charsi. He went AFK, and didn't move after that.
I did a million or so in gambling with Gheed, checking if Set and Unique gambles had been improved (doesn't look like it). I dropped the non-useful items in the area around Gheed. Later, I tried gambling in the other acts. When I returned to Act 1, most items near Gheed were gone even though there was a character only about one screen away.

It LOOKS like your items are safe on the ground only if someone can actually see them.
Edit: THIS IS WRONG! See reply

-rcv-
Has anyone tested this yet?

IIRC, if you left an act, all items would remain preserved in that town forever. Even the shopkeepers would not rotate their wares if you just left and entered via the act waypoint. I seem to recall them changing items after a long period of time, but it might have just been my impatience. It's been years since I was a rabid d2 player, my memory has faded :x
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
channel1,Jul 5 2003, 05:12 PM Wrote:It LOOKS like your items are safe on the ground only if someone can actually see them.

-rcv-
So the moral of the story is that a watched pot never vanishes?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Are we talking SP or LAN here?

I have played SP since D2 got out and items never ever disappeared from town. They could stay on the ground for hours, even potions (I didn't pause the game) stayed.
I assumed the time limit only worked on B.Net.

If they have put a time limit in SP, I will be seriously annoyed.

Edit: oops, I assumed we talked beta patch. Are we or are we not?
They definitely go faster

It does seem to be reset by someone walking past. Playing in our AB style of dropping everything by the stash in town we lost white stuff but not blues - people kept popping back to town for other reasons and incidentally
re-setting the timer

We eventually adopted a system of stashing white stuff (ie gems and runes) and leaving blues, yellows, greens and golds on the floor

Seemed to work fine

If you leave it and move to a different Act then everything vanishes - and it doesn't take all that long!
Some may consider it a cheat, but for singleplayer, I don't play without the expanded stash mod. Having 100 squares of space in my stash, nearly as much in my cube, and an extra two rows across the bottom of my character's inventory all add up to less irritation where items are concerned. I got tired of D2 being the only game in my collection that limited my inventory space to something the size of a toybox. Now my stash is like a bank and my cube like a bag of holding in Baldur's Gate 2. :)

Naturally, such a mod won't work on b.net. Although I did log in using classic D2 and managed to crash the game with it. LoD properly ignores the modified files. Classic doesn't. ;)

Of course, the mod will have to be updated for 1.10, but that won't be hard.
Apparently this is in every version of 1.10, single, lan, and battlenet (presumably, or it wouldn't be in single and LAN.)

I've never been actually angry (well, angry in as angry as you can be about a video game...) about blizzard's continued retarded moves regarding D2, but this honestly takes the cake. Going from infinite storage space while the game is open to being limited to your cube and stash, while storing items becomes even more important... is boggling. I don't get why they want people to make mules.

I've feedbacked, for what little good it won't do, that I think it's a mistake. *sigh* other than this, 1.10 doesn't seem so bad...
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
I just had Khalim's eye rot in town, sitting next to an isenhart's lightbrand.

I can appreciate potions rotting, but quest items? Wonderful, I get to re-do a fifth of the jungle to get it back after i restart the game...
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
I have a Lan game going between two comps here. I had dropped some stuff by the stash and had two characters standing right there. I went away to walk my little hounds and get some food. When I came back the items on the ground had evaporated from under my characters feet.

I hope some modder will be able to fix this.

-- CH
They probably would have stayed if you had watched them instead. :P

Seriously, though... they should have had they quest items stay indefinately... or at least have them reappear in the chest in the same game after a longer while.
I was hosting a guild vault game last night, with gentlemen popping in and out at regular intervals. This didn't prevent 4 perfect emeralds from disappearing within approximately 5 minutes. We were unprepared for that, to say the least (at least, it would have appeared so with everyone running around to pick up ANYTHING on the ground in a hella hurry at the point the disappearances was discovered).

Considering that this is severly limiting the vaulting process, even from a cooperative standpoint, I'd say we have a difficulty. In the meantime, all one can do is have another comrade "hold" said items instead of using the grass.

*shrugs* Annoying, but not impossible.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Bolts and arrows in the Burial Grounds didn't disappear while being watched after 10 minutes or so, and neither did the minor healing potions that were out of my view, but also in the Burial Grounds. :blink:
Were you in a single player game or a Lan game? Perhaps stuff doesn't disappear as quickly in SP?

-- CH
nine tarantulas
NiteFox,Jul 5 2003, 03:12 PM Wrote:
channel1,Jul 5 2003, 05:12 PM Wrote:It LOOKS like your items are safe on the ground only if someone can actually see them.

-rcv-
So the moral of the story is that a watched pot never vanishes?
Nope, I was wrong.

I was hosting a game while making supper. One player dropped off a bunch of low level gems in from of the Act 1 stash, then went to Act 4 to kill stuff. When I came back to the 'puter, I watched as the chips evaporated, and as I moved toward the stash everything else went poof. Everything was on my screen the whole time.

I don't think I like this very much. It does nothing for the players. Maybe it will cut back on the loading of the Realm servers, where there could be millions of discarded items at any time. But, when I'm hosting the game, it's MY cpu getting loaded.

-rcv-