1.10 major attack bug ?
Playing an untwinked barb, I started noticing a problem in the jail.
Although the lying char screen stated that I had 95% of hitting a "dark one", I missed a lot of attacks. Usually 2-3 in a row.

That in itself hints at a first bug somewhere. Either simply in the info on the char screen, or in the attack procedure itself.

Then I noticed I missed a lot more (as in almost never landed a hit) when I was facing multiple opponents.
I wasn't stun-locked, as in "repeatedly sent into hit recovery animation". Rather, my attack animations played normally, but the attacks just never connected if I was being hit.

I guess it's been too long since I had stopped playing D2, but I don't remember ever having such a problem. I seem to recall that when your attack was interrupted, it would be actually interrupted, and the animation wouldn't perform all the way.

It became even more critical when I faced good old Creeping Feature in the Stony Tomb.
Wielding a battleaxe of readiness, doing 50 average Bash damage, in players 1 mode, I just could not kill him.
He swings faster than me, and once he's hit me once (he never missed me) I can't hit him back. My attack animations display the whole attack, I'm stuck in the attack animation, but I never hit.
From time to time, after barely managing to disengage, I could land the first hit thanks to the range of my weapon, but after that it was the same: I couldn't hit him back, and my life went down really fast.

Oh, and of course, he regenerates his full life orb in about 30 secs.

In the end, I had to buy pilums and shoot him down.
Even then, I had to try that twice, because the first stack I bought from Fara wasn't enough. I needed two stacks for the job.

So, could anyone do some tests and confirm or infirm those problems with the attack:

1- Actual odds of hitting not displayed properly or not processed properly
2- Attacks automatically interrupted (ie chance to hit = 0) upon getting hit, but attack animation goes on.

Then remember it was players 1, not players 8. Untwinked, I could NOT melee Creeping Feature. Does that seem "balanced" ? :unsure:
Could be the targeting is hosed somehow. I've had to do some hold-shift, and then click-and-hold on the ground, and let things autotarget to get good hits...on some skills. Zeal and Bash are two of them...
--Mav
...but I was messing around in NM, A3. While surrounded by flayers, using double swing, I completed my attack animations normally, and simply whiffed the night away, without stun animations, until I croaked.
With 75% chance to hit.
With a level 99. (a la "the nobbie special" - thanks for all the work btw, if you read this nobbs).

Afraid all I can do is verify that its not your imagination.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Warblade pointed this out, already, methinks; targetting is not bringing melee-ers into proper range. Range 1 weapons are being swung when standing at range 2, causing alot of whiffing. For someone used to the guarantee to close within proper range, it's annoying.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Not sure if this is the same bug, but I've noticed that with my paladin, zeal will often miss all 5 hits for several consecutive attempts, even with a 95% chance to hit. After some testing, I've discovered that if I wait to attack until after the monster(s) have swung, all 5 hits land nearly all the time. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with range, so it may be a different problem, but the symptoms seem similar.

On a possibly related note, I've noticed that my blocking animation never seems to interrupt my attack animation, even with 75% blocking. It makes the noise, but the swing animation continues. Just the animation though... I never hit in these situations.

So, whether it's blocking, or just getting hit, something seems to be interrupting the attack process without interrupting the animation. Any thoughts?
WeaselOne,Jul 6 2003, 06:30 PM Wrote:On a possibly related note, I've noticed that my blocking animation never seems to interrupt my attack animation, even with 75% blocking. It makes the noise, but the swing animation continues. Just the animation though... I never hit in these situations.

So, whether it's blocking, or just getting hit, something seems to be interrupting the attack process without interrupting the animation. Any thoughts?
Blocking animations look like that might be faster now. I know if I take my werebear out in man-form with his axe and shield setup he looks like he's pausing in a block when I hear the "clank".

OTOH Paladins running Holy Shield who historically had a hellishly fast block rate in 1.09 now don't seem to notice they're even blocking. I'd look at their block rate and see how many frames it's supposed to be.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Ironically, this is a bug fix that is bugged. Typical blizzard.

Unless it was changed and i didn't notice it somehow, ranged weapons (stuff like spears and polearms) would close to 1 range to attack unless you used shift attack.

Now, it appears that it's possible for weapons to attack automatically at a greater range.

However, it's of course messed up :/
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
I agree that blocking seems to be faster. With Holy shield it would be hard to notice it if I wasn't looking for it, but that doesn't explain why blocking doesn't interrupt my attacks. I should be getting block-locked with max blocking and mediocre defense, but I'm not. My attack animations aren't interrupted by blocking, but the attacks themselves are clearly getting stopped somehow, as zeal continues it's 5 swings and never hits unless I time it to accomodate incoming attacks. I'm sure this happens to other attack skills as well, but it is particular frustrating with zeal, as a 5 swing animation that does nothing is much worse than the 3 or 5 frame blocking animation I should be dealing with with Holy Shield on. At this point, I'm pretty sure this is a different issue than the range bug, though I could be wrong.