Shaels and faster casting
Someone mentioned to me that socketing a shael rune in an orb would allow my mage to cast faster. Is this true?

Also, reading through various 'shael' posts, I've seem mention of people using shaels in shields to speed up blocking. How many different uses have players come up with for a shael rune, anyway?
Always remember, wherever you go, there you are.
Well, in 1.09 and earlier, the weapon speed, not casting speed, governed the casting of Lightning and Chain Lightning, so anyone using Chain a lot wanted a very fast weapon. 1.10 changes this, and they're controlled by casting speed now in the beta, I think.
--Mav
In body armour and helms, Shaels increase hit recovery speed. So that's the other use.

Runes do say what they do in the different sockets when you look at them...
Quote:Well, in 1.09 and earlier, the weapon speed, not casting speed, governed the casting of Lightning and Chain Lightning, so anyone using Chain a lot wanted a very fast weapon. 1.10 changes this, and they're controlled by casting speed now in the beta, I think.

Does this apply to act 3 iron wolf mercenaries as well? I believe that their cast rate used to be determined by the speed of their sword. Haven't done any testing in 1.10 beta yet.
USEast *ghost-70
In 1.09, iron wolves used fast cast for all their spells. So says the weapon speed calculator:

Quote:All skills (yes, even the lightning ones) of the act 3 mercenary are dependent on fast cast, so they can be calculated in our fast cast calculator (sorry, no english version).

If they fixed it so lightning works correctly on sorcs, it'd be odd to also break it for iron wolves :P.