Mana leech nerfed?
Hello lurkers. I'm currently making a frenzy barb with the 1.1 patch and I've noticed it's impossible for me to even maintain a half full mana globe despite the fact both my weapons have 5% mana leech. I remember in 1.09 I never had a problem with mana with a barb once I got almost any amount of mana leech. So I wonder has mana leech been nerfed or anything along those lines?

Mockey
1/2 in Nightmare
1/3 in Hell

Plus some monsters are physically resistant.
Plus some monsters have a built in leech reduction (a little like the old unleechable skeletons we are used to in 1.09).

So, yeah. Leeching is hammered.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Ok...but even when I'm fighting a group of corrupted rogues in normal it doesn't seem like I'm leeching much. I see a blue swirl and I do leech a little bit of mana but not enough to keep my globe from plummeting like a rock down to zero. I never had this problem in 1.09...heck I never even kept room in my belt for mana potions but now I do. I would've thought it would be easier to leech mana off of the lesser monsters since many would have higher hit points and therefore there would be less overkill. I dunno...any thoughts?

Mockey
. . . And Find Potion lets you say "hello" to your little friend. :unsure:

:blink:
>I never had this problem in 1.09...heck I never even kept room in my belt for mana potions but now I do. I would've thought it would be easier to leech mana off of the lesser monsters since many would have higher hit points and therefore there would be less overkill. I dunno...any thoughts?

Probably to subsidize the vendors selling blue juice. It would make some sense to tone down mana leech if mana potions are now easily bought from stores.

Actually I have a question for those who are playtesting in 1.1 with a Mage-a-Zon. Do you now regularly carry more mana potions now? Or do you still rely more on pumping up the mana pool?
Leech still works, although creates the tendancy to switch to some of the more physical skills more often. Swinging some of the belt focus over to Mana potions seems to work just fine as well.
Might be all the HC I played, but I don't see this development changing how I play very much.

"Drink early, drink often" is now good advice for more than just the alcoholics hanging around Atma's tavern with Geglash. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Probably to subsidize the vendors selling blue juice. It would make some sense to tone down mana leech if mana potions are now easily bought from stores

I suspect that rationale works the other way, they nerfed leech and then decided that they'd have to sell mana in town to compensate.
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

Hello all,

1 more day till I get broad band, using pay as you go so haven't posted much for a couple of weeks. I think the nerfing of ML for barbs is partly good, as it will encourage people to use low mana skills. I'm going to make a leaping barb, with the synergie bonus he will have just less than 900 ed. The problem is for existing barbs, i have a frenzy mf barb who only has something like 7 ml off an amu, and my tank WW barb has 5 ml if using PVM gear or 8 ML if using pvp gear. It may mean that I will need to re-make them or at the very least change there set ups (have to anyway now for my mf barb :P).

Maybe they should of made it easier to get a ML rune or maybe even ML on more items and/or jewels?

Kier

Edit-When I say the nerfing of ML for barbs is partly good I mean that's how it will effect barbs, I know that it may effect other chars alot to <cough Amazons>, just so I don't get flamed :D .
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
Frenzy doesn't need mana leech, it's only 3 mana, so you can get around 200-250 mana from items/charms, which translates to ~400-500 after battle orders, and you frenzy about as fast as mana regenerates. Have a belt row for mana potions to use every now and then and you should be fine. I've tried this in 1.10 and works ok :)

Whirlwind on the other hand is much worse. For each pass you need like 30 mana leeched back, and that's a heck of a lot harder to get. If you're planning on magic-finding with a find-item-oriented babo, frenzy is perhaps better.

Life leech is hardly a problem since you can spam life tap on monsters before starting to whack at them.
kier,Jul 17 2003, 09:17 AM Wrote:Hello all,

1 more day till I get broad band, using pay as you go so haven't posted much for a couple of weeks. I think the nerfing of ML for barbs is partly good, as it will encourage people to use low mana skills. I'm going to make a leaping barb, with the synergie bonus he will have just less than 900 ed. The problem is for existing barbs, i have a frenzy mf barb who only has something like 7 ml off an amu, and my tank WW barb has 5 ml if using PVM gear or 8 ML if using pvp gear. It may mean that I will need to re-make them or at the very least change there set ups (have to anyway now for my mf barb :P).

Maybe they should of made it easier to get a ML rune or maybe even ML on more items and/or jewels?

Kier

Edit-When I say the nerfing of ML for barbs is partly good I mean that's how it will effect barbs, I know that it may effect other chars alot to <cough Amazons>, just so I don't get flamed&nbsp; :D .
Actually, they have. Dual leech rings are back, so you can easily get more leech from there. And dual leech ammys are back as well.
Wooo Wooooooo!

:D

I'm going to have to remake my WW barb, a pity, he's level 91. He had quite a bit of damage reduce, 75 all res (on hell). Now damage reduce is capped at 50% it defeats the object a bit so he will need better BO, and less iron skin (currently maxed, 10k def is pretty good considering his other stats).

Fury barb is a bit pointless now, he's 84 and a God of meph runs. Generaly does them in about 2-3 mins and his killing blow has an ok amount of mf. May use him for gold finding as fury means he can run fast, or maybe count runs :huh: .

Kier
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,