Cube Recipe Crashes
Nightmare, Act 1.

1 Sol, 1 Ral, 1 Perfect Emerald, 1 Bonesnap Maul.
Into the box.
Press the Button.
Prest . . . eh??? :blink:

:(

Total lockup. I Ctrl Alt Del -eted the PC into restart the first time and I've locked up just the Diablo II game on a second attempt to make that cube recipe work.

Well I haven't been testing any of the recipes yet, so this was a first for me. I'm aware of other reports stating that various runeword attempts had been crashing the game, but I don't remember reading anything about any of the cube recipes doing it.

I was really looking forward to having an exceptional Bonesnap too. :( I'm hoping this is a bug to be fixed soon and not some inescapable issue of having an old Bonesnap . . . errr . . . it might be as old as 1.03, that one. It's certainly no newer than 1.05. :unsure: So much for waking up ancient characters eh?

Anyone else getting cube crashes?
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I havent tried any of the new cube recepies, but all the new rune words I tested crashed my system the same as it did yours. I hope it dosent do that in 1.1 on the Realms if those are ladder-only recepies!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Are you using a character editor for the runes? There have been reports on other forums that using Shadowmaster or Jamella's causes some sort of conflict that makes the game crash.

Also, this is quirky, but Bonesnap was the first unique I upgraded as well. Not too shabby for the level, but I was slightly disheartened that the graphics changed to the standard War Club.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
From what I have heard the runes created with Shadow Master are causing game crashes when they are actually getting used. Where did you two get your runes from?

If Nobbie has not done so yet, you might request that he make a character that has selection of all the runes available. The method that he is using (which is similar to what I do in testing) is to force the game to generate the items for him in mod. This is usually done with certain cube formulas or just forcing the TCs of certain monsters. All items will esentially be "legit" as far as the game code is concerned and will not have 'buggy' data in the save structure for the item as will often happen with character editors.
Ruvanal,Jul 11 2003, 01:18 PM Wrote:From what I have heard the runes created with Shadow Master are causing game crashes when they are actually getting used.  Where did you two get your runes from? 

If Nobbie has not done so yet, you might request that he make a character that has selection of all the runes available.  The method that he is using (which is similar to what I do in testing) is to force the game to generate the items for him in mod.  This is usually done with certain cube formulas or just forcing the TCs of certain monsters.  All items will esentially be "legit" as far as the game code is concerned and will not have 'buggy' data in the save structure for the item as will often happen with character editors.
Its all making sense now. Yes, I used Shadow Master to insert the runes into the 1.1 package characters available on Dii.net. Now I see where the problem is.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I had no trouble with the runes generated with Jamella's editor, but mine might have been an exception rather then the rule.
lemekim,Jul 11 2003, 09:18 PM Wrote:I had no trouble with the runes generated with Jamella's editor, but mine might have been an exception rather then the rule.
From what I heard, Jamella was doing ok with making runes. It just does not do too good with some of the other stuff. Part of why I prefer the game itself to make any test items I need.
Ruvanal,Jul 12 2003, 08:18 AM Wrote:Where did you two get your runes from?
Dropped in the game. No character editors involved.

Quote:The method that he is using (which is similar to what I do in testing) is to force the game to generate the items for him in mod.   This is usually done with certain cube formulas or just forcing the TCs of certain monsters.  All items will esentially be "legit" as far as the game code is concerned and will not have 'buggy' data in the save structure for the item as will often happen with character editors.

Oh it's coming clear now . . . Your use of "legit" got me thinking. This would be "legit" as in "cube reads item complete with ID tag" and performs the recipe function. The ID tags came in, when? 1.06? I'm pretty sure the Bonesnap predates that and I suspect it might be this reason behind why it's achieving the same crash result as character editor generated runes in runewords. The Emerald is probably old too, although I don't expect that would do anything.

:( I suppose I'll be making something else then. :(
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War