Just gambled a Nagel ring
Yesterday I gambled 2 set items. Today it's a unique ring. Just thought people may be interested.
Certainly, but you don't need a new topic every time you go gambling.

If I didn't say it, someone else would have, so sayeth The Hermit.

"You lie, cheat, and steal, how can I tolerate you?" Tool - Intolerance
People seem very disinterested in the possiblity of gambling set and unique items now.

I didn't add it to the thread about gambling set items becuase this was about gambling a unique item. If the original thread had been about gambling in general I would have stuck it there.

As this forum isn't turning over massive amounts of threads atm one extra really isn't going to clog things up now is it.

If your not interested in the ability to gamble unique just don't reply. I would have thought this place is for discoveries of 1.10 atm and posting it in a thread about being able to gamble sets would have been missed.
No, Hermit is right. You might have better added it to an existing topic relating to gambling, or finding stuff in general.

Edit: After re-reading I find I was too harsh, so I take it back. Sorry for being a big meanie. I had read, "As this forum isn't turning over massive amounts of threads atm one extra really isn't going to clog things up now is it." as a sarcastic reply. Maybe I was mistaken.
Quote:Now, look straight right.  See that chip there on your shoulder?  Remove it, and take some sage advice from an old-timer like the Hermit, ok?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

what chip??

my god these forums can get prissy at times. Show me the "existing thread on gambling or finding stuff in general"

This elitist attitude about old timers is what annoyed me about this forum 2 years ago and it seems it's still prevelant, when I decide to finally reregister.

The turn over of threads aint that high so i don't see the big issue you have here. I find it rediculous when each day there's roughly less than 10 threads turned over at the most in here, and you complain about another thread, and you say I have the chip on my shoulder!

It seems forums the world over need people to come in and police them for no apparent reason whatsoever. If your not interested in the thread let it slip off the page. I can't stand offtopic comments by people that have no interest in the discussion yet either find it impossible to let a comment go unsaid the likes of "you should have posted that here" or "you spelling is horrible" or "fix that grammar".

This forum is about Diablo 2.

My thread was about diablo 2. The current discussion is on 1.10 My topic related to a major change as I saw it with how gambling worked. Perhaps instead of standing on your little soapbox you could have contributed something to the topic along the lines of how increased gambling will affect a potential ladder economy or some such.

It's those kind of comments that stop newcomers registering on forums because they are worried about "annoying the establishment", when you have forum police like that youu end up making it harder to build communities because you are pushing people away from joining in the discussion for fear of getting comments like these.

If I have to get rid of my chip maybe you can come down off your high horse. :P
I agree. I for one am glad to hear about gambling a unique. I generally stop checking threads as they start drifting down, and probably wouldn't have seen the info otherwise. Thanks.
How hard is it to say, "I disagree, and here's why" without turning it into an attack on the forum at large, or viewing Hermit's post as an attack on you personally?

-Griselda

edit- typo
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Sorry, I have to agree with Dyntheos here. His reply to Hermit was perfectly civil and said nothing about the forum at large.

On the other hand we have:

Quote:Remove it, and take some sage advice from an old-timer like the Hermit, ok?

Which was completely unnecessary.
Perhaps I was reading more hostility in Dyntheos' first reply than was actually there.

I will say that I don't like it when people use a single post to determine the overall atmosphere of the Lounge. There are 938 members of the Lounge, and probably 938 different attitudes. That's why I jumped in when I did.

Dyntheos, I'm sorry for the cold reception you received here, but extra threads are something we're a bit sensitive about (after living through the terrible thread-eating demon known as DCForum). Personally, I am interested in the fact that you were able to gamble a Nagel, but I really don't have much to say about it.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:It's those kind of comments that stop newcomers registering on forums because they are worried about "annoying the establishment", when you have forum police like that youu end up making it harder to build communities because you are pushing people away from joining in the discussion for fear of getting comments like these.

The problem is not the forum police, who I think are doing a great job by the way.
The problem is people who can't handle being told they did something wrong. You see it all the time. Someone does something that in some way breaks the etiquette, and when they are told so they immediately put their guard up and "counter-attack". Why not just keep it in mind 'till next time and let it go?
Anyone interrested in gambling would have kept reading the other thread and seen it anyway.

I think one of the reasons these forums are so much better than the battle.net forums is that the community does not let things get out of hands. The community does comment on stuff like that. Why don't you just accept it as (more or less) constructive criticism?

edit: speliing.

edit2: This is not an attack on you, just an observation about the forum in general. But I still think you should have kept to the other thread :)
If someone said, "don't make new threads, you #$%&ing #$%&ing #$%&ing #$%& #$%& #$%& moron." I'd sympathize with you. I mean people make mistakes and there's no point in being overly anal about them.

However, I saw no such thing. It was really a suggestion. Perhaps there was no insult or malice intended.

And if someone was really being anal over minor things, I'll be there to point it out. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Actually, I don't see why these forums are public.

If the administration is so strict about member behaviour, I would advise to make this a closed board, whose membership could only be obtained by invitation. Enforcing private (and, in my view, debatable) rules on a forum which anyone can register in, is bound to create a bad impression (of arrogance and intolerance) on people whose attitude is more liberal than the administration. Besides, the moderators will have a never-ending task controlling the posts; something they'll prolly don't like either.

Now, don't gimme that "Read the friggin' forum guidelines before you post" and the "You accepted the rules when you registred, so shove it and obey". That might be true in theory but, as you see, in practice it doesn't work like that. Confusion and friction shows up because there are two conflicting philosophies: it's public and private at the same time. If you wanna make it public and have more members, you have to put up with them. Policing is time-consuming, patience-consuming and you always run the risk of condemning someone by mistake (due to that lack of patience). So I say make it private. You'll have fewer members, but it will be easier to manage and there will be less conflict.
Actually its pretty easy to read snide condesension(be it there or not) into TheHermits post.

Im not sure whether we needed this post or not, but as far as manners go I though Dynotheos was on the higher side.
That was my point. I'm seeing too often that the response to some friendly advice offered on grammar, or forum etiquette leads to a hostile response or some long drawn out argument on the merits of being civil or following the rules. Why can't the response just be, "Advice noted, I'll try to be more careful in the future."

IMO, and that of DSTheHermit, OMG I Gambled A Set Item would have been the existing thread, created by Dyntheos just the prior day, to add his new found gambling discovery. Maybe this time he would have noted that his prior days topic "OMG, I Gambled A Set Item" was too specific as a topic to warrant much discussion, and so this time he would have opted for "Gambling in v1.10". And, next week, when he gambles for Arcane's Valor, I'm sure we will get a new topic to discuss that.

Quote:It seems forums the world over need people to come in and police them for no apparent reason whatsoever. If you’re not interested in the thread let it slip off the page. I can't stand off topic comments by people that have no interest in the discussion yet either find it impossible to let a comment go unsaid the likes of "you should have posted that here" or "you spelling is horrible" or "fix that grammar".

I certainly understand the need for balance between extremes. But without policing, this place would soon devolve into crap. What attracts some people to the Lurker Lounge, and why it is unique is that it does maintain a high quality of content. It seems unusual for Atma's at the Lounge having 80 new topics in 7 days, and I've noticed that Mavfin has been working to reign it in a bit. What I don't want for the Lounge is what Battle.net forums have become, a place to go when you have verbal diarrhea.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Or, they could do as I did. Get whacked upside the head, and realize that this is a place with an existing culture to which you must adapt. No one walks in anyplace with instant credibility, and so over time you will become a part of the community. You were an individual who came here a few months ago, and blended into the community without raising anyone hackles. You did much better than I did.

Ok, fair enough. I was responding to what I read as a rebuff by you to DSTheHermits advice. He was calling your attention to item#7 in the etiquette guide.

Quote:7) Do not make new threads if there is another thread on the same topic in the first few pages of any forum - most regulars will read up to five pages back, and we all sort threads in different ways too. Try searching the current AND old fora too: odds are we have already answered that question a hundred times before :P

If you are receptive to some advice then perhaps I should have just clearly asked "Please make your topics more general such that if can generate some discussion rather than just an announcement of every new thing you discover". So, if you had first started the topic "Gambling Is Improved in v1.10" then "OMG I Gambled a Set Item" and "Just Gambled a Nagel Ring" might also be inclusive of some incredible rare item that I might have gambled, or when you gamble and get some other Unique next week we don't need another topic to cover that.

Sorry if I was gruff, I've been having migraines lately and it is has been harder for me to be civil and have patience.

14 replies and none about the original topic of gambling a ring. I'm glad to hear about gambling unique/set items.

Can't we just all get along? :)
Me too. In fact I've found quite a number of great rares, some set items and a unique item or two gambling in v1.10 as well. I just am one person who tries to refrain from needing to announce every cool item I find. Its exciting to find cool stuff, and when I find the need to share that information I try to find a more appropriate outlet. I just don't think this is a chat room, and so I would prefer discussion topics to be worthy of discussion. The prior topic "OMG I just Gambled A Set Item" was responded to with "they've increased the ability to gamble sets/uniques in 1.10 " by Wrathraven. Wrathraven summarized my view of the topic and so I didn't respond further at that time.

Can't we all just try to get along and follow the rules and etiquette? :)

The tread looked like it had turned into the eternal "Flog the noobs on forum etiquette" topic. Where's Jimmy when we need him?

I would like to know a few details about the gamble. How much gambling did he do, in terms of gold spent and how many tries? What was the CLevel of the character that did the gambling? What difficulty was the game? What Act and merchant?

I've dropped several million in gold on gambling, and have not seen any Set of Unique items.

By the way, I notice that there are an awful lot of replies that do nothing but pick on folks for less-than-perfect posting. It is nice to point out to the noobies that the LL tries to maintain high standards for posts. However, to constantly do it in public begins to looks like nothing more than Trolling of a different type. Perhaps a private message to the offender would be more appropriate, and it would look less like public abuse by the Spelling and Grammar Bullies.

-rcv-
Quote:I would like to know a few details about the gamble. How much gambling did he do, in terms of gold spent and how many tries? What was the CLevel of the character that did the gambling? What difficulty was the game? What Act and merchant?
That would be more interesting.

I've been finding stuff since Act 2 normal and I have yet to invest the money you have. I tend to go for more, cheaper items (gloves, boots, belts) rather than rings and amulets. Although, I did get the Angelic ring on my first attempt to gamble a ring.

Quote:By the way, I notice that there are an awful lot of replies that do nothing but pick on folks for less-than-perfect posting. It is nice to point out to the noobies that the LL tries to maintain high standards for posts. However, to constantly do it in public begins to looks like nothing more than Trolling of a different type. Perhaps a private message to the offender would be more appropriate, and it would look less like public abuse by the Spelling and Grammar Bullies.
Yes. But, don't you think there has been a corresponding increase in the number of posts that are lacking? I think the initial nudges have been gentle nudges, which are often rebuffed or ignored and result in what you describe.