Super venom in 1.10
According to the list of changes, the poison rate of venom is fixed at 0.4 seconds. So unlike the other poison skills, you can load up massive amounts of poison items and do the damage over 0.4 seconds. Combine it with burst of speed. and perhaps shadow master and cloak of shadows as secondary skills, and you have a good looking shadow discipline only assy.
Quote:So unlike the other poison skills, you can load up massive amounts of poison items and do the damage over 0.4 seconds.
Yeah, but that's a BAD thing, not a good thing. A poison charm that does 20 damage over 2 seconds does NOT do 20 damage over 0.4 seconds with Venom. It does 4 damage over 0.4 seconds.

- Dagni
hmm, it will have to be tested then.
The good thing would be..

The duration would be raised with that single charm. Thus making venom insanely powerful.
The duration really is fixed at .4 seconds, regardless of other poison sources. So if you have X damage over .4 seconds from venom and add the 20 over 2 charm, you'd have (X + 4) damage over .4 seconds.
The only way to increase duration currently in beta is through % poison skill damage items, and I am not even sure if that won't be fixed in the actual patch.
The short duration is great, especially if you have a fast attack (e.g. blade fury).
Anybody playing a venom assassin? The short duration sounds great to me, but that weird shrinking of poison damage from items and charms is nebulous and scary.

I'd like to hear how it does in practice.
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
I think it's less scary than it sounds

Here's how it works:

Suppose you have
Venom 200 damage per 0.4 second
small charm 200 damage over 5 seconds
perfect emerald 100 damage over 10 seconds
(made-up numbers)

Think of it as
Venom 500 damage per second
small charm 40 damage per second
perfect emerald 10 damage per second

So your total poison rate is 550 damage per second

Now your poison length is set to 0.4 seconds because you're using Venom

So each hit does 220 damage over 0.4 seconds (10 frames) at a steady frame by frame rate

To do lots of damage you need to hit them every 10 frames (roughly twice a second). This is certainly possible and likely with the Blade skills or claw attacks

So start getting the headspace of looking at the rate per second not the total damage on a poison source and you should be comfortable with Venom (which has a very good poison rate)
Quote:Combine it with burst of speed.
You CAN'T combine it with BoS! You can't do this because you can't use vvenom and BoS at the same time.
Quote:cloak of shadows as secondary skills
You CAN'T do this either! Its like BoS. :angry:
"if the bible has taught us anything,and it hasn't, is that boys should stick to boy sports and girls shoud stick to girl sports like hot oil wrestling."-homer simpson
Me-"OH MY GOD,OH MY GOD!!!! 1.10 WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHAT!!!!!....I know what. Fix my computer."
The two best internet comics in the web, penny-arcade and El Goonish Shive. For you.. Also for you.
In 1.09, BoS, Fade and Venom were all mutually exclusive.

In 1.10, only BoS and Fade are mutually exclusive. You can have Venom in addition to either one of those.

Cloak of Shadows has always worked regardless of which of the preparation spells you had active.
Minor nit:

Quote:Cloak of Shadows has always worked regardless of which of the preparation spells you had active.
Well, Cloak has the problem of not working when it itself is active.

- Dagni
A good reason not to pump it :angry:
Dagni,Jul 18 2003, 10:43 PM Wrote:Minor nit:

Well, Cloak has the problem of not working when it itself is active.

- Dagni
CoS doesn't work? What do you mean? I have it at slvl 1 and it seems to be doing the blind thing just fine.

Do you mean that the reduction of enemy defense does not work? That will be important news to the character I'm currently heading into Act II with...

I was planning on using CoS for effective AR...
What he means is that you can only recast CoS when the first CoS runs out(ie, when the lights come back on)
AtomicKitKat,Jul 20 2003, 08:26 AM Wrote:What he means is that you can only recast CoS when the first CoS runs out(ie, when the lights come back on)
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Now that you point it out, I have noticed some oddities with respect to that.

Anyone report that to Blizzard?
vor_lord,Jul 20 2003, 04:30 PM Wrote:Ah, thanks for clarifying.  Now that you point it out, I have noticed some oddities with respect to that.

Anyone report that to Blizzard?
Are you sure it's even a bug? I always thought it's a "feature"...
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
The only drawback of course, is that you gotta wait for it to run out before you go triggering a new pack of monsters. Might be easier to just code it as a "shout"(like the Barbarian's warcries) Any mod makers listening? :)