One Small Question
I seem to recall that some time ago, an enterprising soul came up with a way to run two sessions of D2 on one machine, allowing trading of items in single player through a TCP/IP game. Does this method exist, and if so, how do I do it?

It appears I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to playing the game other than on cattle.net.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Two methods that I know of:

A) Open two versions of windowed mode.

B) Create a second user account in your OS (for Windows: Control Panel/User accounts) and then open D2, hosting a TCP/IP game. Then, alt+tab out, hit Start, Log Off, and Switch Users. Then open D2 on the account you just created, join the TCP/IP game, and knock yourself out.

There's a third way that involves a file download, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I've never had to use that way, so sayeth The Hermit.

"The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been." Tool - H.
Here you go.

Works like a charm in 1.09d and 1.10 beta too (you'll have to reinstall the .dll provided each time you revert and repatch).

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Do you need to have D2 installed twice?
The simplest way to use this is to go into your Diablo II directory and find the "Game" application within (it has no visible icon). Right-click and send a shortcut of "Game" to your desktop and label it something akin to "Secondary D2 game" or somesuch.

Run the game normally from your usual shortcut/start menu. Host an IP game and then Alt-Tab (or hit the Windows key) to return to your desktop while running. At this point, click on your "Secondary D2 game" shortcut and another D2 game will start. In this second D2 game click to join an IP game and type in your own IP... voila: you're schizophrenic and self-vaulting.

This method will NOT allow you to join a game with the character that's hosting, but any of your other characters will be able to join (ie: your level 70 paladin cannot host the game AND join the game from the other D2 game, capice?).

Switching between the two is a simple matter of minimizing and maximizing. Cool beans, neh?

Note for 1.10: The ability to "self-vault" is due to the d2gfx.dll file that comes with the zip file you downloaded. Everytime you "patch" to the 1.10 beta, this d2gfx.dll will be overwritten and you'll not be able to self-vault (everytime you "revert", however, 1.09 should retain the ability to self-vault). Simply plop the dll file from the zip back into the Diablo II directory if you have any difficulty, and you'll be fixed and ready to go.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Thank you, everyone, for the information.

I did download the variant dll, but didn't 'install' it. It seems I don't need it because the other method suggested also works: simply leave the program running, switch users, and start the second session of the program under the second user. Works fine, I tried it.

Yay, finally something useful about Windows XP!

"Behold the power of this fully operation muling-station!"
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
It works now. :)

The key is apparently to start with the game.exe instead of the diablo ii.exe.