Seraph's Tale
Let 'em gamble elite uniques. If the chance for uniques is 1 in 5,000, that still doesn't include the chance for it to be elite, which is something like what...20%? Gee, one in twenty-five THOUSAND gambles gets me an elite unique? Sounds about fair since that's about how many monsters you'd have to kill for one anyhow. Let all the non-ladder items be gambled. One in four thousand for elite sets? You mean SIXTEEN THOUSAND gambles might actually land me Griswold's set? Gee, that almost sounds doable. Of course they do this to keep the number of elite uniques on the realms down - but it would be nice to use full sets in single player.

The solution, as I've been saying since 1.08, is to have different gambling rates for SP and realms. One in 200/500 sounds much more fair to single player. Even 1.06 wasn't exactly making full sets or exceptional uniques easy to get when it was more like one in 20/50.

Throw us a bone, Bliz - we threw you our cash, so sayeth The Hermit.

"Buy, buy, buy my new record. Buy, buy, buy send more money." Tool - Hooker with a Penis

Edit: Just saw this on Arreat; The chance for Exceptional items is 1 in 1111 (or 9 in 10,000) and the chance for Elite items is 1 in 1 in 3030 (or 33 in 100,000). You will mostly get Magic items which may or may not be worth anything to you (hence Gambling).

Sooo...your chance at Windforce as it stands is about...1 in 15,150,000. Yeah, I don't think we have to worry about Windforces flooding the realms via gambling.

<^> Blizzard
DSTheHermit,Jul 26 2003, 11:58 PM Wrote:Edit: Just saw this on Arreat; The chance for Exceptional items is 1 in 1111 (or 9 in 10,000) and the chance for Elite items is 1 in 1 in 3030 (or 33 in 100,000).
I'm fairly sure these numbers are wrong although I don't know what the exact numbers are

I do agree with you that it would be nice if they differentiated between SP and MP. I think that that would count as game design rather than bug fixing so it won't make 1.10, which may well be the last patch that isn't just to fix bugs

It's pretty easy to mod - I think you just change those numbers in difficultylevels.txt, the Phrozen Keep beginner's guide would let you do this if you wanted to change the SP game

As for the realms, I think you underestimate people's determination. Assuming a gold find character can pick up 2 million in a Travincal run and a gamble costs about 50K that's 40 gambles per run. About 100 runs per unique. If elite occurs 5% that 2000 runs per elite unique. Now people certainly were doing that sort of MF running in 1.09, Nobbie published the results of 15000 Pindle runs not that long ago