MSLE v1.1
they took away the ability of multishot lightning enchanted bossed shooting out unavoidable number of bolts when u hit them. thank god they did! so far i've consistently seeing bartuc with MSLE, but only a few bolts, i've also encountered a few obliv knights with it, they fire 3 missles, but only few bolts when hit.

along with this, i also noticed if a multishot oblivion knight shoots 3 bone spirits, only one will follow u.
It's enough to make me go 1.09 MSLE hunting.

I will miss the 1.09 MSLEs since they are not that hard to cope with if you and your party pay attention, but they are definitely lethal for the careless. I did lose a few hardcore chars to them when I was learning hardcore but for the last year MSLEs are one of the few things in the game that were sure to put a smile on my face. Nothing gets a team in line quicker than a swift MSLE ID.

I do think trading 1.09 MSLEs for all the monsters being harder is a good deal, but I will still miss them.

R.I.P. MSLEs as we knew them. :(
KS
Extra strong + holy shock seem to do a sick amount of damage now... iirc, one hit-killing my barb @ 3600 life... his resists slip my mind, but still - one hit kills = ouch.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
As I recall, Holy Shock bosses have always had one-hit kill capability on Hell difficulty. Normal, they are nothing to worry about, though. As for nightmare... I play HC, exclusively, and prefer not to press my luck.

Extra strong merely made them a bit more lethal.

If you were playing on a difficulty other than Hell, though, it could be a change. Then again, it could have just been a high level monster, who's HS does the typically sick dmg of a skill that level.
Call HCGoodbye(gl,hf,dd)
*dahak_i
USEast HC
Holy Shock does 1-1485 damage.

If you have 75% resistance, you will get at most 375 pts of damage per hit. (Ouch!) The extra strong likely does more damage to you than the holy shock if you do not ignore resistance.

With some lightning absorb, less trouble, and with 85% resistance, a 2000 HP Barbarian will be OK . . . but the Extra Strong, particularly if cursed, is The Big Nasty!

that said, a boss with fast attack, like a Frenzytaur boss, who is Aura Enchanted with Holy Shock is best avoided, since he can get three or four shots in pretty quickly.

That, adds up in a hurry!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 23 2003, 02:51 PM Wrote:If you have 75% resistance, you will get at most 375 pts of damage per hit.
A couple of things I'd like to mention

1) Monsters have a 5% chance to critical hit, even with elemental attacks. This doubles all damage, I believe

2) Conviction is very scary - it would multiply the damage against 75% resist by about 5. In a crowded fight with multiple bosses it might be possible to not notice being Convicted
there's still lightning enchanted + cold enchanted.

shoots out invisible cold nova(the same as on death) when hit.
SeasofBlood,Jul 25 2003, 08:20 AM Wrote:there's still lightning enchanted + cold enchanted.
Getting this combo on a skeleton archer pack. :o
I've run into such things a number of times now and the word, "ouch," just does not do justice to the result. :(
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
The critical only applied to the physical part of the damage.

I may not have understood that quite right, though.

For example, Mephisto's old "snowball of death" was, IIRC, like the Oblivion Knight's and Abyss Knights and Andariel's elemental bullet attacks, half physical and half elemental. True also with Diablo's LBOD: part physical and part elemental.

So, while your point is interesting, I do NOT believe that Holy Shock, the aura, gets doubled by a critical, rather, the damage from the regular attack gets doubled.

As for conviction, oh yes, Conviction Boss and Holy Shock near enough to each other can KILL! I lost an HC Assassin in Hell Durance, having skipped past Bremm, to an LE Ghoul Lord Pack in Wayand's little room, thanks to Bremm having been hanging around near the wall. It took one hit: not sure if it was an LE spark from my Shadow master's attack or the Meteor that hit me, but after the Red Screen came on, while I sat there in shock, I noted some movement . . . Yep, Bremm being skipped has its risks . . .
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I do think they were not supposed to be that deadly, as the homing bolts I believe was a bug. Or an unbelievibly cheesy feature. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
A lightning enchanted, extra fast, extra strong frenzytaur (I think it might have been cursed too) is something to be reckoned with. Especialy when he has friends.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Occhidiangela,Jul 24 2003, 07:09 PM Wrote:The critical only applied to the physical part of the damage.

I may not have understood that quite right, though.
For player characters the critical hits was only applied to the physical portion of their attacks. For monsters (including mercs) the critical can be applied to any form of the attack (phys, lgtn, fire, cold, mag and maybe some of their other special types) and to any of their attack methods. Just stand in one of the vampires firewalls and watch the critical hit sparks on you, it is a fire only type of attack.

From what I could tell there was only one check for the critical being done at which point all the damage from that attack was getting doubled. Very nasty when getting hit by multiple bolts from a MSLE that may have other mods on it also; considering all the bolts in the volley against you are considered one attack.