1.10 Act 2 Quest Skipping
The other night I hosted a game on my second computer for some of the lurker chat regulars. I used a Level 19 paladin as the "host" char and then joined the game from my other computer and played a completly different char. I have two legit copies of D2 BTW.

The level 19 host paladin charater joined the party and then just sat in town. I assumed that he wouldn't get credit for any of the quests but I was wrong. Today when I went to play him through Act2 by myself I started by doing the first quest. This was the one quest we skipped that night. Once I completed this quest and looked at my quest log all the quests did there completed swosh except the last one. I was told to talk to Jeryn and then Meshi. After I did that I was able to sail east to Kurast and that quest was completed!

This char never was in the arcane sancturary to kill the summoner, never completed the staff, never was in the room to kill duriel yet I'm credited with completing those quests.

I'm almost positve this is a new behavior in 1.10 and also seems like a pretty cheap way to skip Act 2.

Am I wrong about quest crediting in 1.09? Can you just be a part of the party and get credit for stuff without even being in the same area?
Architect,Jul 23 2003, 10:41 PM Wrote:Am I wrong about quest crediting in 1.09?  Can you just be a part of the party and get credit for stuff without even being in the same area?
In many cases, yes you can ge credit that way if the player triggering the quest completion step has not earned the credit already themselves. If the player that actually does the quest completion (i.e. kill the appropiate 'boss' in most cases) has already gotten credit for the quest, then only those in the immediate area (~2 screens) will earn the credit.