Starting as a level 33 character
There's a (new?) command line argument to start a new character at level 33, starting in Harrogath.

ABasin discussion here.

If you add "-act 5" to your Diablo II shortcut (ie "Diablo II.exe" -act 5), you'll begin your character directly in Act 5, at level 33. All your stat and skill points will be unallocated.

You won't have any quest credits, but you can use the Waypoint to get back to the Rogue's Camp and complete them (which should be easy at level 33).

-DeeBye
Thank GOD.

I hate playing low-level characters, and actually I don't much like Normal diff at all. This has needed to be in there forever.
I doubt this will be included for realm play.
It is probably only in the beta test because they forgot to take it out.
LucianDK,Jul 24 2003, 11:38 PM Wrote:I doubt this will be included for realm play.
ya think? :)

thanks for the info, I was about to start up an elemental druid from scratch tonight too!
when i try to do this, an error comes up saying something about the target does not exist, how do i get it to work?
Quote: when i try to do this, an error comes up saying something about the target does not exist, how do i get it to work?

You have to be sure that your shortcut points to your Diablo II.exe file. If you used the default installation, this should be

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"

Right-click on your shortcut, chose "properties", and be sure the target file is the correct one. If so, it's just a matter of adding "-act5" after the quotes. My shortcut, using the default installation, looks like this

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -act5

I've created a second shortcut just for this purpose, so I don't accidently use my other established characters under this option. Frankly, I'm not sure what would happen if you did just that. Maybe someone more adventurous than I can chime in.

I've just been using it to create a lvl 33 character. Then I promptly exit the game and use my other (ie. non-"-act5") shortcut to play.

-DeeBye
DeeBye,Jul 25 2003, 04:45 AM Wrote:I've created a second shortcut just for this purpose, so I don't accidently use my other established characters under this option.  Frankly, I'm not sure what would happen if you did just that.  Maybe someone more adventurous than I can chime in.
Just tested it with a (hacked) level 99 char and a level 1 char created without the option and it didn't change anything about them. I'd guess that it only affects character creation.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
DeeBye,Jul 25 2003, 02:45 AM Wrote:You have to be sure that your shortcut points to your Diablo II.exe file.&nbsp; If you used the default installation, this should be

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe"

Right-click on your shortcut, chose "properties", and be sure the target file is the correct one.&nbsp; If so, it's just a matter of adding "-act5" after the quotes.&nbsp; My shortcut, using the default installation, looks like this

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -act5
ohhhhh after the quotes, thx
not thinking?
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
...to run command lines in the Mac OS? Anybody know?
[Image: ignatzsig.gif]
I knew I shouldn't have uninstalled D2 for Baldur's Gate today...

Bleh, may as well scratch my adventure along the Sword Coast. Forgot to patch, and got to Friendly Arm before realising that I forgot to patch. Did so, and now I've resurrected an odd bug where all doors are just squares of flat colour.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386