IP address
Bolty and Griselda,

Strange things happening when I try to connect to the Lurkerlounge.

I get a DNS resolve to 203.22.204.90.

Which is resolved to stmaarten.globat.com as well as www.lurkerlounge.com?????

It plays havoc on my firewall

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
So it makes sense that we would share an IP with them.

I'm certainly no firewall expert, but I'm not sure how that would play havoc on your firewall. Could you explain?

Thanks. :)

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Because stmaarten.globat.com is Syn flooding me all the time at strange ports like 3634 and I get a lot of can not find server errors when reading the forums.

This happen without firewall also.

And your site is the only one that gives me this problem so far?

I hope youre not angry now.

Regards, Hunky
I've actually been meaning to ask-

Since we've moved to globat, I've had frequent, but usually short, periods of time where I can't find www.lurkerlounge.com at all. I'd like to know how many others are experiencing this as well.

As far as the syn packets, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it's not us, and I can't see why it would be globat, but once again I don't think we're on a dedicated server. Perhaps Bolty would have a better idea?

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I have had this problem. I usually thought it was the network here at work, but maybe it isn't.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
The forums have generally been slower as well since the move to globat.

But I get server not found and some other errors (don't recall and don't have it in my logs) usually 3 or 4 times a day. I hit the boards about 10 times a day in 5-10 minute spurts here or there betweeen 8am and 10pm central usually, and it can happen at any time of the day. Generally things clear up in a minute or two.

I connect from work and at home which run out on two different major backbone providers as well (backbone, not just local, one leaves the state through St. Louis and goes to Memphis or Chicago for east, Texas for west, the other through Kansas City and goes Denver for West, and Chicago for east) , so I'm convinced it's globat and not something between me and there.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
It's happened once for me. I thought the cable had come unhooked at the back again. But I just hit Refresh and it fixed it.

Actually, I think that was yesterday...
I recently (post 1.10 beta) been experiencing periods where I'll click a lounge forum link and then wait.

And wait.

And wait some more. :P

I have yet to bother to time it, but if I'm eager to get into a particular thread to check its content, I'll click the link to it and go make a sandwich or coffee or something. The new page will have loaded by the time I return. Basically I click the link and the downstream bandwidth for the page I want will start in something like thirty seconds to a minute after the click.

Highly irritating.

The other problem I've seen with IE 6 displaying pages wrong from time to time is still there. I noticed it's actually loading the stylesheet into the body text, causing the style info to render in text at the top of the page. :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Having the style sheet display as body text is the same problem that I have with IE6. But as I've said before, I only have it when I'm using WebWasher (an ad blocking proxy server). It is a pain, though, to have to disable WebWasher to read the forums.

I've not seen this behavior with any other site, but the problem started when the forum software was changed, not when the hosting service was changed.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I have that problem too, Warblade. Only sometimes... I just chalked it up to busy servers.
A lot, almost every other page I visit gets a server not found error.

Setup : Windows 98 with a router.

At work I have Windows XP with a dialup modem and I don't experience it at the mo,ment while I am typing.

I am sure youre not syn flooding me but stmaarten is doing something which causes it.

Regards, Hunky
Quote:Since we've moved to globat, I've had frequent, but usually short, periods of time where I can't find www.lurkerlounge.com at all. I'd like to know how many others are experiencing this as well.

I see the same thing several times a day. Then again, I usually check in at least once every 2 hours during break time/lunch(I'm really bored at work).

Doesn't seem like a giant problem, I just try again later and get through okay. I also get the occasional glacially slow loading, but usually I'm not patient enough to wait to see if it loads or comes up with an error; I just go elsewhere.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience. This issue has been fixed by our administrator.
Please try it again. This should be working by now.

-Globat Support

Let me know if this happens again after the time of this post...thanks all for your help. If you run into these problems, you have to let me know about it! I only see the Lounge at night and hadn't ever run into any downtime.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I still had it around 8:30 am in my timezone (GMT +1).

I will test it as soon as I am at home.

Did they say what they fixed as this is one "bug" I can not seem to place.

edit: though packetsize/framesize seems a likely candidate.

Regards, Hunky
Here is the odd one that I get occasionally (and just got about 5 minutes ago)

Internal Server Error
The sbox program encountered an error while processing this request. Please note the time of the error, anything you might have been doing at the time to trigger the problem, and forward the information to this site's Webmaster ([no address given]).
Process limit exceeded for uid 10568

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sbox version 1.05
$Id: sbox.c,v 1.3 2003/04/22 22:56:15 mprovost Exp $

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I have received the same or a very similar error, but not often.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I get this one at least once a day for about 5 minutes, then it starts working again.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I just got the same error that Gnollguy encountered yesterday. Time was about 8:30 a.m. Central time. I got it after clicking the link in the subscription notice email.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
I received the same "sbox" error just a few minutes ago. The error came up when trying to access the forums only, not the main page.

BTW, this is from the sbox website:

Quote:Abstract

sbox is a CGI wrapper script that allows Web site hosting services to safely grant CGI authoring privileges to untrusted clients. In addition to changing the process privileges of client scripts to match their owners, it goes beyond other wrappers by placing configurable ceilings on script resource usage, avoiding unintentional (as well as intentional) denial of service attacks. It also optionally allows the Webmaster to place client's CGI scripts in a chroot'ed shell restricted to the author's home directories.

sbox is compatible with all Web servers running under BSD-derived flavors of Unix. You can use and redistribute it freely.
Thanks a ton, Baajikiil - apparently their server thinks we're trying to DNS attack them :)

Or, for all I know, maybe some idiot *is* so it has to hang everyone else. I'll bring it up with them.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.