Technical loophole concern
You know all those jewels and items that cast an effect when you level up?

What happens if you level up in town? i.e. long duration poison or minions just outside town edge.

Sorry about the obscure thread title, but I'm worried about using the words "ex" and "pl" and "oit" for fear of search engines and asshats.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
As far as I know you can not level up in Town so this situation can not happen.

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Hunky, I can think of at least one instance, assuming 1.10 works the same as 1.09 (which may not be the case). You could be part of a group that is doing the Ancients quest for the first time. If you were in town AFK you currently get the quest and the experience bonus.

GenericKen, I'm not sure what the concern would be. Since the spells are not hostile unless you are, there's no danger to others, really. My best guess -- and I'm not really that technical of a D2 player so it is just a guess -- is that it would be a nifty event, like seeing a shooting star, and nothing terribly bad would happen. OTOH a meteor dropping where it's not allowed could Kirk the whole system and bring bnet to its knees.
KS
I'm guessing Meteor and the like simply wouldn't work and Blaze would work the way it always does in town - ie the clock starts ticking and when you get to an area legal to use it the ground catches fire
You can indeed level in town.

You get experience for your kills, even if you are not in the proximity of them. Long lasting poisons will most certainly allow you to level in town.

I'm not entirely concerned about the pking possibilities of this, but I am concerned about the stability of the game in such an instance.

Can anybody test this?

even if you're hostile to someone, you can't whack them one,

and

You can't die from poison in town

These suggest that the game may well treat players as invulnerable in town (has anyone ever had a caster monster take a pot-shot at them whilst on the edge of town?)

However, how it treats mercs and other NPC may well be different.

On another note on 100% CTC jewels

Arming several with the same spell won't set it off multiple times, the percentages are added, so you'll simply have a 200% CTC `:-|

-Bob
In 1.09, poison didn't kill you at all, regardless of where you were. It only took you down to 1 life. Mercs, however, did die completely, even if they did make it to town first. Has this behaviour actually changed, then?
adeyke,Aug 1 2003, 08:34 PM Wrote:In 1.09, poison didn't kill you at all, regardless of where you were.  It only took you down to 1 life.  Mercs, however, did die completely, even if they did make it to town first.  Has this behaviour actually changed, then?
Players' HP still don't drop below 1 from poison, and I think it's still fully lethal for mercs, no matter where they are.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Mercs are fully capable of dying to poison in town.

The argument was never that the player could die in town, but that the player could LEVEL UP in town. You get exp for kills if they're yours, no matter where you are.