blades vs. javelins
I'm trying mixed trap/melee (minimal martial arts--I'm a dilettante at heart) assassin in the 1.10 beta. She's at level 48 now, and is in act 2 NM. (I know that's pretty high level for act 2, I spent quite some time doing delightfully rune-alicious countess runs.) Up until now, I've had a stack of rare war javelins on my weapon switch. They're nice...mana steal, 5% amp, ~60 damage. I experimented a little with blade fury and find that I kill about as fast with a 1 pt blade fury (using my amn+tir fascia) as I do with the javelins.

My question is, going forward which will I probably serve me better? I'm not sure if I should spend the time trying to gamble some nice rare harpoon (or throwing spear easily upgraded to harpoon), or just use the fury. As a second question, is it worth putting more than a point in blade fury? It seems that it wouldn't be too productive, as the best thing about it is at low level it's just one mana per blade. Do you get anything other than a minor damage increase at higher levels?
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
I'd use Blade Fury if I were you, and switch over to the Javelin (but continue throwing blades) to leech back any lost mana. If you get really low, toss some Javelins.

You hit the nail on the head in regards to skills - it's a total waste of time to put more than 1 point into BF.

I suggest you find a three-socketed claw (preferably high speed) and a second two-socketed claw. In the first one, socket "Malice" (Ith El Eth). In the second, socket "Strength" (Amn + Tir). Pull on a mana leech ring and rule the world.
I would us blade fury, and equip your self with a high dammage weapon like an axe, or maul, so 3/4 of that dammage will also be stacked.
Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill
Yes, I gave up on the javelins. Having delusions of melee, I dumped some skill points into claw mastery--which quickly made the javelins start to look pretty damn silly by comparison.

At some point, when I acquire a nice unique (or runewordable) maul or the like, I'll look into using it. For now, though, I'm still Blade Fury-ing with my claws (just cubed up a rare scissors quhab, 78 avg dmg, +24 fire, + a bit of cold, + 6% mana steal).

So far the quhab is better than the best maul I've shopped, a cruel great maul of incineration. I'm only in act 3 NM (no, I've not been playing very much).

I also fooled around a bit with some greater talons with knockback. The BF transmits the knockback, of course, but so far it hasn't really been necessary. It appears the 5% chance to cast amp damage on striking property does not work through BF.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman