Cold Mastery versus Duriel.
I've been trying out a pure Cold Sorceress. I figured that the best way to start collecting some phat lewt in 1.10 is to play a character that can breeze through Nightmare untwinked with ease.

I settled on a pure Cold Sorceress. I didn't worry too much about a secondary attack spell, because all her killing will be done in Nightmare. NM is a great place to harvest some nice gear. 99.5% of all the equipment my Diablo characters have ever used can be found somewhere in that difficulty, and you can build a solid Hell-viable character just by collecting NM drops.

My idea was to build a FO Sorc to "farm" Act 5 Nightmare with as much MF gear as possible, playing "players 8". From experience, this is fairly easy to do with an untwinked solo Cold Sorceress. I've done this before in Hardcore 1.09, with great success.

My cold tree (so far) consists of 20 Frozen Orb (+1 in prereqs). I have a few points scattered around the other trees, namely 10 Warmth, 1 Telekinesis, 1 Teleport, and 5 Static Field.

This left me with a lot of leftover Skill points at level 50, which I decided to put into Cold Mastery. I usually only put 1 point into CM, but I figured "what the heck - might as well". I'll likely boost Ice Bolt for the synergy bonus also.

Everything was a breeze (as it usually is) with this build, even with the gawdawful gear I was using. My best find was a Spire of Lazurus, which helped out a lot.

I was getting rather afraid of facing Nightmare Duriel. I had no idea how to kill him. He's Cold Immune in Nightmare, and all I could do was Static him down, and hope my merc could finish him off as I played "medic".

It turns out that I was needlessly worried. With slvl 15 Cold Mastery, Nightmare Duriel was NOT immune to Cold (I have a screenshot of this). A few Statics and a few Frozen Orbs took care of him in short order.

I know that 1.10 has messed around with Cold Mastery, but all the reports I've been reading says it still does not affect Cold Immunes.

Well, it certainly worked on Nightmare Duriel.

Maybe Act bosses are an exception? Or are normal creatures buggy, in that Cold Mastery doesn't work against them (and it's supposed to)? If the latter is the case, and the final release of 1.10 fixes it so Cold Mastery can make Cold Immune not so immune, this probably does not bode well for the class. If you think there are too many cookie-cutter Sorceresses out there now...

-DeeBye
According to the 1.10 beta monstats.txt file, Duriel has 50% cold resistance in normal, 75% in nightmare and 95% in hell. I think this change in resistances would be enough to explain things.

When I had tested cold mastery, I had modded zombies to have 100% cold resistance in normal. Even a 20/20 frozen orb didn't scratch them.
My testing was similar to adeyke's testing in that 100% Cold Resistance exactly could not even be cut with a slvl=99 Cold Mastery. If CM is supposed to be cutting through immunities like Conviction or Lower Resist, then it is bugged.
adeyke,Aug 1 2003, 12:43 AM Wrote:According to the 1.10 beta monstats.txt file, Duriel has 50% cold resistance in normal, 75% in nightmare and 95% in hell.
So why is Duriel marked as Cold Immune? Is this a bug?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
According to chaos sanctuary, cold mastery is supposed to work on immunes now.

If it is not working on those with exactly 100% resistance, then that is the bug.

On the topic, how do items (like the unique jewels, and the items with -enemy resistance) work?

Is it a straight reduction like lower resistance, so that -5% resistance is -5% resistance, or is it a multiplied reduction like cold mastery?
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Bolty,Aug 1 2003, 06:30 PM Wrote:So why is Duriel marked as Cold Immune?  Is this a bug?

-Bolty
I just checked the v1.10 nightmare Duriel and he not showing a listing of being Cold Immune. Are sure that you are just remembering what his listing is like from the v1.09 game where he is cold immune in nightmare and hell?
Could this be a layover from back when 95% was considered immunity?
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote: So why is Duriel marked as Cold Immune? Is this a bug?

Here's part of the screenshot I took. I shrunk it down a bit to only show the relevant parts. The only Photoshopping done was to remove my IP address.

[Image: Screenshot3.jpg]

-DeeBye
I should have been a little clearer in my earlier post. The testing was done with an amazon that does not have any equipment for lower resistances in any way. As adeyke listed earlier, Duriel is no longer Cold Immune on any difficulty in the v1.10 patch.