Assy in the works
Hi. I been thinking about making an assassin that uses blade shield(because it is so cool looking! :P) in her build. This is what I have come up with so far, comments/help is appreciated:
Stats
Str - 118
Dex - 79
Vit - Rest
Nrg - base

I want 118 str for armor preferences, I plan on getting a decent defence in order to stay alive longer and for blade shield to do its work more. 79 dex for greater talons.

Skills
1 Dragon Claw
8 BoS
8 CoS
10 Weapon Block
10 Shadow Master
Max Venom
11 Blade Shield
1 pt. pre reqs.

This will put me at lvl 70 with normal/nightmare skill quests complete. The reason for 8 BoS is to reach the breakpoint for DC with needing only 20 IAS w/greater talons. Venom for the bonus damage it gives, weapon block at 50% and 11 points is what I had left for blade shield. I don't plan on it doing major physical damage, but this gives it a nice 70 sec. duration so I don't have to cast it every 20 seconds -_-

I plan on using a Malice claw(eventually greater talon) and a Strength claw in secondary. So, my main source of damage will come from crushing blows and open wounds. I'll take other crushing blow items as they come.

Question: Does crushing blow and open wounds work for Blade Shield? I sure hope so, that was my plan on how I was going to use it.

Merc will be an act 2 defiance for the added defence. Also, CoS will help out on the defence, too.

So, what do you think so far? I could use suggestions for improvement. I wanted to add some to claw mastery for the AR, or maybe just more in DC because that will probably end up being a big problem unless I can find Angelic rings/ammy or something with a BIG bonus to AR.

Thanks for reading and once again, comments welcome! :D
There are a lot of posts which discuss Blade Shield from when the Beta patch was released (around the beginning of July)

Probably the most significant piece of information is that the skill is currently bugged and does 3/128ths of your weapon damage instead of 32/128ths (in the 1.10 Beta)

Still I think Crushing Blow and Open Wounds work fine, there are details in those early posts of what works with which skill

Is your build for 1.10 Single Player or 1.09 Realms?
This build is for 1.10 SP, of course. I don't even bother playing 1.09 anymore, it's just no fun anymore.
Brista,Aug 1 2003, 05:39 PM Wrote:Still I think Crushing Blow and Open Wounds work fine, there are details in those early posts of what works with which skill
Can this be confirmed, please? Or i'll confirm it myself tonight. Because if it does work, it'll be fantastic :)
Yeah, it would definately make this build work somewhat effectively. Everyone's been so hooked on blade fury it seems like they forgot about shield :P I took a look at sentinel, too. At max you can get quite a few of those blades out there at one time. If THAT worked with crushing blow and open wounds, that would be awesome as well. I already know it works with venom when I was doing some testing of my own.

....Makes me wonder what other classes can benefit from crushing blow and open wounds like this. It could make for a crazy zon with say, multishot ^_^
Actually, Crushing is deliciously oh-so-sweet with bowazon's FA+Pierce & Explosive Arrows+Pierce (I'm sure Immo works too, but we've throttled timers enough), even if it's just 1/8th monster life.

1 build I've tried in 1.09 is Guillaume's Face+Gore Rider for 50% chance of Crushing partnered with an Explosive Arrow bow like Kuko. Tears up Hell diff (1 player game), very impressive. I'd imagine even more impressive now since global physical resistances in Hell diff are now kapoot.

On-topic, over at the Diabloii.net forums I believe there's a guide for Blade Shield assy's, quite comprehensive if I recall right. I'll cross my fingers it didn't crash with the not-so-recent system reboot.
-- Ryan
Between GW2, AirMech, Firefall and Torchlight 2, who has time for gaming? Smile
As of 1.10 beta, blade shield no longer transfers crushing blow, knockback, chance to cast, hit freeze, flee etc that it used to do in 1.09. Same situation with blade sentinel (just that it never did transfer anyway)... blade fury in 1.10 beta transfers all those effects though.

Not too sure about open wounds though but if all those effects are not going to be transferred by blade shield and sentinel, I dount if open wounds would be transferred.

Crushing blow works well with any class that has the means to deal physical damage to multiple monsters in a short time.... builds like zealots, smiters, fury druid etc etc.
Surprisingly enough it wasn't transferred with 1.09 blade shield.

Most other mods like CB, blinds target, hit freezes target, etc... were transferred, but not OW (learnt that the hard way after wasting an "um" rune in my weapon...).

To be perfectly accurate, it didn't transfer from "um" socketted in your weapon, or a runeword like "Malice". I don't know about items with OW as a "native" mod like Swordback Hold. Didn't test with those.
Hmm....Well, now that I know that crushing blow doesn't work with blade shield, I wonder if this build will even be worth it. Would have been awesome if it did work. So, the only thing as far as this build that will transfer over to blade shield is venom, but at very marginal damage. I might just have to put this build off until the damage on blade shield is corrected. Any ideas?
Alright, since blade shield is bugged into oblivion right now, how do you think blade sentinel would work out? It doesn't carry over crushing blow and open wounds right? Well, I know it carries over venom at 3/8th damage, so the damage isn't that great. But having 6 blade sentinels out on the field simultaneously might stack up the poison damage somewhat. So, what do you think about this:

Blade Sentinel - 20
Dragon Claw - 1
BoS - 8
CoS - 5
Venom - Max
Wep. Block - 10
Shadow Master - 8

Using the same strategy as before, only casting blade sentinels like mad while I'm in the fray, spamming open wound crushing blow infested dragon claws. I think with practice, the sentinels could prove to do poison damage pretty fast.

What do you guys think? Or can we think of SOME REASON to make blade shield useful for this type of build.

-Sjafi
Ice,Aug 2 2003, 12:51 AM Wrote:As of 1.10 beta, blade shield no longer transfers crushing blow, knockback, chance to cast, hit freeze, flee etc that it used to do in 1.09. Same situation with blade sentinel (just that it never did transfer anyway)... blade fury in 1.10 beta transfers all those effects though.

Not too sure about open wounds though but if all those effects are not going to be transferred by blade shield and sentinel, I dount if open wounds would be transferred.

Crushing blow works well with any class that has the means to deal physical damage to multiple monsters in a short time.... builds like zealots, smiters, fury druid etc etc.
I can confirm that (unfortunately) these do not transfer. Quite a shame, as that plus the new damage bug renders Blade Shield a complete waste of a point, let alone more than one point.
Since Blade Sentinel is a trap you can only have 5 out at any time and if you do you can't have any other traps out, though I doubt that would bother your build.

Try checking the Assassin Blade Skill thread in the workshop.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->