1.10 Epiphany
Those of you who have ventured into 1.10 Hell have discovered a few new realities.

1) Town portal tomes need to be able to carry about 100 scrolls
2) They're now selling mana in town for a reason
3) Crowd control needs to be re-named horde control
4) MF is a luxury you can no longer afford ( unless it comes with something useful )
5) pre-planning body recovery is now more important than ever
6) Gold is now good for something other than gambling ( see 7 )

and

7) Your merc is now no longer a meat sheild so much as he is an animated alarm system. When you hear your merc die it's time to run away unless you want to join him. And your merc will die, often, even with really, really good gear.

So, I've come to believe that the real intended use of the Rainbow Facet jewels is that they are most useful as "dead man" switches on your merc.

Mercs now die a lot. So make them useful and use them as suicide bombers with a rainbow facet jewel. Even better if you can get all four bombs.

Continue to re-hire lower level mercs and equip them with the level-up bombs if you can get those.

Now all I need to do is find one of the damn things.
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

Degraded to (sometimes aura-granting) time bombs, flung into monster hordes by the dozens, gold permitting.

Anyway, don't let the Facets' level requirement fool you, they're all level 85 and will therefore not generally drop before Act 3-4 Hell or so.

Combine a Facet-laden armor with a Delirium hat and the merc in question should be a rather effective, though expensive, crowd neutralizer...

(edited because I didn't mean to quote pjnow)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
IIRC low level mercs won't gain levels quickly in hell therefor level up jewels won't work well.
Though I'd imagine a merc leaving a Blaze trail to be looking rather funny. :)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
pjnow,Aug 7 2003, 11:42 AM Wrote:7) Your merc is now no longer a meat sheild so much as he is an animated alarm system.  When you hear your merc die it's time to run away unless you want to join him.   And your merc will die, often, even with really, really good gear.
Huh? That's news? :lol:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
In lieu of Rainbow Facet, the Hand of Justice Runeword is similar (100% Chance To Cast Level 36 Blaze When You Level-Up, 100% Chance To Cast Level 48 Meteor When You Die), and probably easier to aquire.

Plus, it's not bad as general-purpose weapon mods, and works on any 4-socket weapon.

I did consider Hand of Justice for my Act2 Merc, but never got around to trying it. I found Breath of the Dying to be the best general-purpose weapon, with Crescent Moon as the backup for bosses that beg for Static Field. Baal in Hell came closest to getting the HoJ treatment, but Crescent Moon got him. The Festering Appendages were great, the merc could handle them easily, and hitting them triggered the Static Field to knock down Baal without the Merc needing to get close to him.

-rcv-
channel1,Aug 7 2003, 11:33 PM Wrote:In lieu of Rainbow Facet, the Hand of Justice Runeword is similar (100% Chance To Cast Level 36 Blaze When You Level-Up, 100% Chance To Cast Level 48 Meteor When You Die), and probably easier to aquire.

Plus, it's not bad as general-purpose weapon mods, and works on any 4-socket weapon.

I did consider Hand of Justice for my Act2 Merc, but never got around to trying it.  I found Breath of the Dying to be the best general-purpose weapon, with Crescent Moon as the backup for bosses that beg for Static Field.  Baal in Hell came closest to getting the HoJ treatment, but Crescent Moon got him.  The Festering Appendages were great, the merc could handle them easily, and hitting them triggered the Static Field to knock down Baal without the Merc needing to get close to him.

-rcv-
um, well, maybe in the beta where you can hack in whatever you want, but in the actual game Hand of Justice and Breath of the Dying will be near-impossible to ever complete, so "just" finding a unique jewel would be much easier.
...Hand of Justice and Breath of the Dying will be near-impossible to ever complete...

The nice thing with runes (on the Ladder, anyway) is that with the complete set of Rune upgrade recipes, it will be less a matter of luck and more a matter of persistence. It will take a while, but at least you will be able to make daily progress toward high-level runes.

On the other hand, you won't even have a chance to find the Unique Jewels until you are able to beat up on monsters of a high enough level. By the time you reach that point, you can have collected an awful lot of Runes.

-rcv-
channel1,Aug 8 2003, 05:06 AM Wrote:...Hand of Justice and Breath of the Dying will be near-impossible to ever complete...

The nice thing with runes (on the Ladder, anyway) is that with the complete set of Rune upgrade recipes, it will be less a matter of luck and more a matter of persistence.  It will take a while, but at least you will be able to make daily progress toward high-level runes.
eh, I doubt it. Rune-cubing is only good to a certain point, where the runes are just too good/rare to cube. I mean seriously, who's gonna cube 2 Ums for a Mal, when Ums are gonna be very popular for upgrading Excep -> Elite rare weapons, Cresent Moon, and the various runewords that need Ums (there are a lot of them). I'd rather keep the Ums or trade them than cube for a Mal, and that's just the start of the chain to cubing to the very high runes like Ber, Cham, etc.
It will be very possible to aquire the best runewords if you play the game a lot. In 1.09 I aquired the best items by trading medium level items for sol runes, and trading 30 sols for a godly item. Sols may not be the currency anymore, but if you find a good item you don't need, you should be able to easily trade it for a rune. So if you have two Ums, go ahead and upgrade to Mal, and then trade whatever good items you find for a second Mal. Rinse and repeat until you get whatever rune you're after.
your idea for the suicide merc sounds interesting
a good way to deal with the high cost of reviving your merc would be to make a greed zon
to play banker for your other chars
plus in 1.10 you can gamble uniques again if i read right
I am DeathByDesign
I choose my fate
I choose my death
"Je Bent De Meest Onverschillige Hasj Dealende Hoer Die Ik ooit Heb Ontmoet"