what is the gem?
ok, ever since i cauld remember the gem has been opn diablo 2. when you are in the chat room (where you join games / create) if you click on the blue gem thing in the bottom center of the screen where all the neat desings end in the chat dialog box it says "gem activated". what does it do and why is it there???

i just wanna know cause its wierd. :blink: :huh:
i'm not lazy, i like to think of it as "slectivly active"...
I'm going to be gentle.

The last extended thread in these fora on the Chat Gem is dated May 30 in Atma's Tavern.

The chat gem does nothing, nada, bupkis. It is a living demonstration that smart-ass programmers hate help desk operators and felt a need to build a rube-detector into Bnet.

Strike that, the chat gem generates thousands of lines of sarcasm as a quick search on just about any any of the sites from the community section will reveal :

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...043&hl=chat+gem
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

Some people have thought up some great things it could do. Maybe we should run a little contest followed by a poll to create a lurker use for it!! A couple of examples of what people thought it did was:-

*Increase mf.
*Make monsters harder.
*Send acc statistics to blizard (as a way for detecting hacked items)
*Marker for where you are in chat, for if you go afk or something.

Ah well, maybe you can think of something interesting to tell people when they ask you what the magical gem does!!

Kier
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
Here's my take on what it does: wastes .1 seconds of your life.

Since Blizzard seems so tickled pink with their little ha-ha joke I can't imagine they'll change it. In line with your suggestions, here's some amusing and/or annoying things it could do:

change one gem in your cube to another type of gem (same quality)

cause Cain to give you some rambling spiel about the time he found
a perfect quartz gem

change the name of a randomly selected act 1 dungeon (the pit, the hole, etc.) to
"The __ Mine" (with __ being a randomly selected gem type). The gold treasure
chest in there would always give you a 2-3 gems of that type. (and optionally
change the Fallens' torches to picks and shovels).

if you hit it five hundred times, change your character's title to "gemhound" for
the rest of that log-in.

Change your character's in-game numberpad 'speeches' to
"Here is a gem for you"
"Thanks for the gem"
"Help, I need gems!"
"Follow me to the gems"
"Time for gems"
etc.

Change the assassin's blade fury graphic to a stream of thrown gems.

Put a pair crossed palm trees somewhere in the act 2 desert with an
invisible (buried) chest of gems underneath. This is the Mad Mad Mad
Mad world variant.

If you get 'perfect gem enabled' it does all of the above.

Okay, this is getting a bit too silly. :P
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
ok so far ive gathered that it does nothing and if tou click on it enuff it says "perfect gem activated", that means skuat... i want to know what all those people (ie: bolty) are talking about when they say

Quote:It's amazing how well it still works, even to this day.

...now that tells me there is something that it does....but also it could just be that very thing.getting people to talk about it just like this. <_< :huh: . but i wonder?
This is what i think the gem should do:
When you get a perfect gem activated It changes one random Item(in your stash or in your inv.) Purple With ancient written on it saying perfect gem activated. :P
"Darkness and evil shall fall back to the burning hells within and light shall rule the lands of the good."
Hail Arch-Angel,

Actually, Blizzard said themselves that is it working perfectly: it makes people ask what it does. THAT is its purpose.

Oh, and the Lurker use for it is either it leads to the Secred Gem Level or the Secret Chicken Level, depending on whom you ask ;)

I think I'll add this to my faq: I'm really getting sick of the question, after three years of it!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I actually think it pumps Cain full of pain killers, thereby allowing him total and full locomotion with out the use of a walker or hover-round......Its only a temporary fix...that is why, whenever you see him, he will aimlessly follow you and banter on about the "Treasures" in your horadric cube or what the price of a gallon of milk was back in his day.

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
lol thanks guys. i though thats what it did ( make people ask about it). not the pain killers, although it was funny. i still wonder if it really does do something??? :huh: :blink: :ph34r: <_< B)
Its handy for marking your place in the chat while in channel when you have to go to the bathroom, get a drink, etc.
tal125,Aug 12 2003, 06:59 PM Wrote:Its handy for marking your place in the chat while in channel when you have to go to the bathroom, get a drink, etc.
Hey...somebody found a use for it afterall!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Secret chicken level? Buh? Was I not the only nut who thought of that? Put that in the competition a while back :P

I saw that perfect gem activated, and it seems to be random. Bet that really bugs people oO

I think the perfect gem activated should do something. For instance, all bosses and super unique monsters speak in the voice of one of the diablo 2 NPC.

For instance, Diablo goes "amazing you have found me! I never thought it was possible....." in a scottish accent.

Kier
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
It won't make you eloquent.

A typo here and there is normal, we all do it, even with spell check, but could you please show your readers -- all of us here -- a little more courtesy and try to come across with a bit more coherence?

EDIT: *blush* I found a typo after I posted. *blush*

i=I
cauld = could
opn= either open or on, not sure what you meant
when = When (Caps at the beginning of a sentence)
desings = designs
wierd = weird

This is a forum with a certain expected quyality standard, not a chat room. Please treat it as such. Concise and reasonably clear communication is an accepted norm here. The links to etiquette, rules and FAQ are in the upper right of the forum, and worth your time to read.

Thanks, and for that matter, welcome to the Lounge. :)

PS: The Chat Gem is the one feature in this game that is guaranteed not to be bugged, over powered, or nerfed any time soon. Some folks take great comfort in that. :P
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete