New Bug
Most players have probably noticed that you can stack a spell as you enter a level. Unless there are monsters at the entrance to the level it is usually pretty irrelevant. However, it gets to be fun if the spell you stack is teleport. Teleport is defined by the time it was stacked, not the time it is cast. This means that the position you end up in is defined by the equivalent position in the board you just left, rather than the board you enter. In other words, if you stack a teleport as you enter a level you will teleport to a random part of the level (possibly quite far from the stairs). Just be careful - while there are usually no monsters next to the entrance to a level, there may well be some in the location to which you randomly teleport.
That's a fun little glitch. Not quite new, though.;) It's on the DSF list under "Spell Queuing".

This also reminded me of some last resort item recovery tactics involving spell queuing: http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/stratcdstairdeath.html

In the weeks following those posts we had some... very good opportunities... to work on our item recovery tactics under live fire. When the stairs are *really* hosed, I think precasting town portal may be the best last resort. Particularly in a coop game, you can get that town portal off as you are loading the level and your partner can use it without it disappearing. It shouldn't be nearly as hot as the stairs, so he should have time to at least get a second portal off to the edge of his screen and now you have multiple ways to attack the level.
Nice link. Thanks. So much information and so many places to look...

Quote:That's a fun little glitch. Not quite new, though.;) It's on the DSF list under "Spell Queuing".

This also reminded me of some last resort item recovery tactics involving spell queuing: http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/stratcdstairdeath.html

In the weeks following those posts we had some... very good opportunities... to work on our item recovery tactics under live fire. When the stairs are *really* hosed, I think precasting town portal may be the best last resort. Particularly in a coop game, you can get that town portal off as you are loading the level and your partner can use it without it disappearing. It shouldn't be nearly as hot as the stairs, so he should have time to at least get a second portal off to the edge of his screen and now you have multiple ways to attack the level.
Quote:When the stairs are *really* hosed, I think precasting town portal may be the best last resort. Particularly in a coop game, you can get that town portal off as you are loading the level and your partner can use it without it disappearing. It shouldn't be nearly as hot as the stairs, so he should have time to at least get a second portal off to the edge of his screen and now you have multiple ways to attack the level.

The downside with precasting town portal is that the TP will appear in a random spot in the level, in which case you need to still fight your way back to the stairs, generally with your second best equipment (you likely dropped the best equipment where you died). Crystalion's idea of flash and then town portal allows you to cast the town portal in the general vicinity of the stairs, allowing for the slow process of luring the enemies away from your items. The downside is of course that it uses the flash bug.
Hi,

Quote:The downside with precasting town portal is that the TP will appear in a random spot in the level, in which case you need to still fight your way back to the stairs, generally with your second best equipment
Simply use stealth gear and tk. Maybe an infravision or two to aid navigation, but that's usually not needed. Of course, if your character isn't big enough for these tactics, you probably don't have much worth recovering anyway.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Of course, if your character isn't big enough for these tactics, you probably don't have much worth recovering anyway.

--Pete

I never met someone who didn´t mind losing their equipment, but I know what you mean.
Hi, my name is LennyLen. Nice to meet you.

Quote:I never met someone who didn´t mind losing their equipment
You have now.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Hi, my name is LennyLen. Nice to meet you.
You have now.

Then why do you care who stole the cork from your lunch?
Quote:Then why do you care who stole the cork from your lunch?
Because a man's bottle is not a part of his equipment, but a part of his soul.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Because a man's bottle is not a part of his equipment, but a part of his soul.

I'll drink to that. Pete - I correct what I said earlier; I have only met one person who doesn't care about his equipment.
Quote:I'll drink to that.
Cheers!

But I was being truthful about not caring about equipment. My favourite part of the game is early development, and just using whatever comes to hand. I abandon most of my characters by age 20, so I rarely come across anything particularly worthwhile.

I've never really been a fan of muling either, so if I do come across a high quality item that's not much use to that character, I either sell it or give it away.

Sometimes I also just find it fun to throw everything away and start anew.

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

Quote:I'll drink to that. Pete - I correct what I said earlier; I have only met one person who doesn't care about his equipment.
Make that two.:) Look up Immortal Heros sometime.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Cheers!

But I was being truthful about not caring about equipment. My favourite part of the game is early development, and just using whatever comes to hand. I abandon most of my characters by age 20, so I rarely come across anything particularly worthwhile.

I've never really been a fan of muling either, so if I do come across a high quality item that's not much use to that character, I either sell it or give it away.

Sometimes I also just find it fun to throw everything away and start anew.

That makes sense. After my level 18 rogue got killed in the caves by a bunch of lightening demons at the stairs and I couldn't recover my items it was kind of fun to start afresh with a (relatively) high char. I had to kick my way in the first couple of levels to enough money to buy a bow. Then I went to the Cats where I found some junk, then I went to nm early dlvls where I found a bleeder, which was my best ring for quite some time. Now, if it's not prefixed zodiac it's a disappointment. I like to duel, though, so a high level char is a must.
Quote:Hi,
Make that two.:) Look up Immortal Heros sometime.

--Pete

I never understood the fun of Immortal Heroes. Doesn't that just keep you always playing at levels that still give you exp, but are too easy? I think a really enjoyable part of the game is playing in levels that are over your head where you know you will probably get killed at some point - and trying to recover your equip with multiple tp casts and deaths is somewhat exhilirating as well (well maybe exhilirating is too strong a word); hard to do that with an immortal hero.
Quote:I never understood the fun of Immortal Heroes. Doesn't that just keep you always playing at levels that still give you exp, but are too easy? I think a really enjoyable part of the game is playing in levels that are over your head where you know you will probably get killed at some point - and trying to recover your equip with multiple tp casts and deaths is somewhat exhilirating as well (well maybe exhilirating is too strong a word); hard to do that with an immortal hero.

You can't do any item recoveries with Pete's Immortal Heroes, but you also can't repeat easy levels: http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vimmortalheroes.html

That one has been near the top of my "variants to try" list for almost 11 years now. But for most of those years, I've only fired up Diablo to play Ironman games.
I do Town Portal on downstairs, than I go on downstairs — after loading a level I was on the same level (where I do Town Portal on downstairs).

About bug in this topic: after level was loaded — I do Town Portal. Spell was, blue door does not appeared. I was not teleported.
Can you do videocast of this bug?
Sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language.
/whisper magggg there is no cow level
I don't really think you would see much of anything on a video. A lot of sorcerers become accustomed to casting mana shield (via right click) while the level is loading so the monsters don't get so much of a head start. If you try to cast too early it won't happen. But if you time it just a little before the level finishes, he is already casting the spell as you start to see the level. Well, if you use town portal in the same way, he will again already be casting the spell as you see the level. But the blue portal will end up somewhere based on the coordinates you were at on the previous level, possibly far away from where you are right then. Or if you had cast teleport, instead of the portal going to that location, you teleport there yourself.
Quote:I don't really think you would see much of anything on a video. A lot of sorcerers become accustomed to casting mana shield (via right click) while the level is loading so the monsters don't get so much of a head start. If you try to cast too early it won't happen. But if you time it just a little before the level finishes, he is already casting the spell as you start to see the level. Well, if you use town portal in the same way, he will again already be casting the spell as you see the level. But the blue portal will end up somewhere based on the coordinates you were at on the previous level, possibly far away from where you are right then. Or if you had cast teleport, instead of the portal going to that location, you teleport there yourself.

I might add that if you use hypercam to video diablo things then the colors become unbearably messed up when you change levels, to the point that you can't really see anything. Since this involves a spell being cast as the level starts it would be quite difficult to record. Perhaps other recording devices don't have this problem.