Questions about hellfire
Well yeah...sounds kinda suspicious...having killed Diablo only four times so far and already having found a KSoH, ObsZod and other goodies....what level was your Warrior again?
At least you have no GPoW or a Dreamflange stuck in your head...
If you're playing multi player your Demonspike Coat...well...umm...ah, whatever, I guess Jarulf is wrong, telling everybody it can't be found in mp *g*
But tell me, what better items than ObsZod or KSoH are there exactly?
Hello Mystery,

"sounds kinda suspicious"

Yes, but it doesn't need to be. In HF, Grizwold will constantly upgrade his shop to sell better as your character has currently, and in SP he sells also jewelry. That makes it pretty easy to get such items, especially if one does some shopping.
>Ok I cleared Diablo with my warrior and think I got a good set up for my warrior so far: King's sword of haste, Godly helm of the whale, Obsidian ring of the zodiac, Holy shield, and Demonspike. I was really surprised when I got these items in 2 runs through the game.

Kind of hard to answer without knowing if you meant HF or Classic, Single Player or Multi Player.

>I KNOW that there are better items out there maybe now that I have had some exp. with the warrior you could give me a little more insight on what items I should be using.

Well for the general playstyle of a warrior, those items you mentioned are pretty much already top of the line or close to it. For the exception of Demonspike Armor. That's great for a casholder item when you reach Hell difficulty.

Before you ask what items are "good" , it's probably better to ask what playstyle suits you better. Obs Zod jewelry might be great for a high AC Warrior, but it's near worthless for a Low Armor class Warrior. Good for a cash holder maybe, but LAWs would usually look for a Dex+ or All+ combined with mana+. Eg: Dragon Zodiac would be the dream jewelry for a LAW.
Quote:Posted: Aug 13 2003 01:06 AM 
Up to this point I have only used my artillery mage so I am eager to try the other characters.

Posted: Aug 13 2003 03 03:32 PM
Ok I cleared Diablo with my warrior ...
I was really surprised when I got these items in 2 runs through the game.

You cleared the game twice, with a character you'd not played before, in 14 hours?

Quote:Godly helm of the whale

Only Wirt can supply that, and you've gotta be 30 to buy it. You hit clvl 30 in two games? In SP or MP?

It couldn't be two normal games; that's impossible. Most SP characters finish their run at clvl 25, 4,166,200 exp. Even if you could double that exp in a second game, you'd still only be clvl 27 (9.2 mill exp is 28).

If you did a Normal and a Nightmare game, that's another story. In SP, you can level with wild abandon. In MP, you've got an exp cap to deal with. Supposing you enter Nightmare at clvl 25, you need (if my calculations are correct) 2573 kills at the exp cap to hit 30. I don't recall how many monsters can appear on a given dlvl, but 180 stands out in my mind. (Nits?) 180/dlvl and 16 dlvls equals 2880 monsters, but most of Church won't give you much exp at all, much less anything close to the exp cap. (You won't meet that until mid/late Cats.) Knock Church out of the picture and you've got a possible 2160 kills remaining in the game, but you can't hit 30 on that. (Nits?)

Either I read wrong, my logic's on the fritz, or something's fishy. What's the deal?

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Sorry for all the confusion I said that I completed the game 2 times, BUT I neglected to mention that I did 8 runs through hell by itself and the second time I cleared it I was on Nightmare. And it doesn't take very long for me to clear diablo1 about 6 hours approximately. I got some items from shopping and some from the dlvls. I am at clvl 32. I did all this solo on mp. I am a very fast learner with too much time on my hands anyway. By the way I am pretty sure it was more like 16 hours.

Nomad25055 :P

EDIT: Maybe something is goin on with my game. I got demon spike in mp. I haven't done anything to the game and I never will. If you can't beat a game without cheating then you suck is my motto and I am stickin to it.
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
> Maybe something is goin on with my game. I got demon spike in mp.

Or are you talking about D1 classic?
D1 classic v1.07 but earlier today I upgraded to v1.09 when I connected to battle.net
The Demonspike Coat can be found in SP or MP, in D1 Classic. Afaik, in any versions present and past.
Nomad25055,Aug 13 2003, 10:32 PM Wrote:Ok I cleared Diablo with my warrior and think I got a good set up for my warrior so far: King's sword of haste, Godly helm of the whale, Obsidian ring of the zodiac, Holy shield, and Demonspike.
What, no Awe/Stars and Holy/Tiger instead of those crappy uniques?

Nomad25055,Aug 14 2003, 06:13 AM Wrote:Sorry for all the confusion I said that I completed the game 2 times, BUT I neglected to mention that I did 8 runs through hell by itself and the second time I cleared it I was on Nightmare.  And it doesn't take very long for me to clear diablo1 about 6 hours approximately. I got some items from shopping and some from the dlvls.

You did 10 hell runs altogether and you got a KSOH and an Obs/Zod? Must be something wrong with my random generator then. I haven't seen a KSOH in a couple of months, and an Obs/Zod in... well, never. Not from my drops, anyway.

Granted, you can get a KSOH from shopping at Gris, and a GHOW (BTW, which base AC? I sense a >14) from shopping at Wirt, but you'd definitely need a couple of hundred games to find BOTH. And if you managed that in those 16 hours or whatever, PLUS get an Obs/Zod, you're one "lucky" guy.
*eyes Nomad suspiciously*
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
I'm not sure but doesn't finding Demonspike in MP require finding DPA and AoG first? Or does this only apply to Hellfire?

Getting GHoW IS possible as Lemming already said, but the chance to get it from Wirt is -really- low, and making Wirt-runs can be a pain in the ass.

Nomad25055:
I don't want to say that you're cheating or something...but there are a few things that sound quite suspicious here. I've been playing Diablo since the pre-release Demo came out (late '96) and I have never ever found such great items in such a short timespan.
1) There may really be the possibility of you being a really damn lucky guy who has found/bought the items.
2) You may have gotten these items as a gift from other players in b-net without knowing that they're dupes/hacks/whatever.
Or 3) you're a cheater...and I hope that this ain't true...
Believe whatever you want it makes no difference to me everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but like I said maybe its my game. One thing that I want to make very clear I obtained all of these items on solo mp runs and one more thing I ABHOR CHEATING. Like I said If you can't beat a game without resorting to cheating then you suck as a gamer.

Nomad25055 B)
>I'm not sure but doesn't finding Demonspike in MP require finding DPA and AoG first? Or does this only apply to Hellfire?

But I definitely remember finding a DSC off Lazarus in Normal difficulty, solo MP, in D1 classic. And I'm pretty sure I didn't have a DemonPlate armor or an Armor of Gloom, considering this was Classic and not HF.

>1) There may really be the possibility of you being a really damn lucky guy who has found/bought the items.

I've played D1 classic for roughly 3 years, and I've only been offered a Ksoh from gris once. And it was a 2 hander. Of course there is those truly legitimately lucky players who has more than one of these toys. For their Rogue. Their tank rogue even. ;P

Contrast that with HF, one of my warrior had a Shirotachi as his main weapon, and 1 ksoh and 1 ksospeed. My Barbarian had 1 KaoH, and a KaoS. Safe to say, getting nice stuff is much easier in HF than in Classic.

>2) You may have gotten these items as a gift from other players in b-net without knowing that they're dupes/hacks/whatever.

If he did get these after patching and getting on to a public game, that's highly probable. But if he got this before patching on to 1.09 with no trainers\cheats etc etc, he probably should stop playing for a bit and buy a lottery ticket.

> 3) you're a cheater...and I hope that this ain't true...

If he is, then there's enough information for him to get up to speed here. If he's interested of course.
> But I definitely remember finding a DSC off Lazarus in Normal difficulty, solo MP, in D1 classic. And I'm pretty
>sure I didn't have a DemonPlate armor or an Armor of Gloom, considering this was Classic and not HF.
Silly me...of course you can find DSC in Classic D1...the two unique armors that prevent it from being found in mp only exist in HF...d'oh...need to get more sleep ;)

> Contrast that with HF, one of my warrior had a Shirotachi as his main weapon, and 1 ksoh and 1 ksospeed. My
> Barbarian had 1 KaoH, and a KaoS. Safe to say, getting nice stuff is much easier in HF than in Classic.
Due to the 8 additional levels you'll get more items in one game. But items like ObsZob jewelery is still pretty hard to find. As you can buy jewelery in Single Player getting a bunch of Zodiacs is pretty easy in both D1 and HF. And my lvl38 Barbarian still has a MaoS...still can't find KaoS/H. So it maybe a little bit easier to find certain items in HF (the unique probability list in jarulf's guide proves this), but I don't think that finding good equipment is really "much" easier.
Seeing as these items are so hard to find in such a short time span I think your right, I will go buy a lottery ticket
>Due to the 8 additional levels you'll get more items in one game.

Sure, simply having more area and the Nak set drop helps. Not to mention Griswold simply having more vendor slots also helps immensely. I'm no code reader, so I'm just going on my own experience. But I bet, even without the gris peeking feature, you still would get more chances at a better item simply from the number of offerings available.

>So it maybe a little bit easier to find certain items in HF (the unique probability list in jarulf's guide proves this), but I don't think that finding good equipment is really "much" easier.

Again, that depends on the individual's "luck" I guess. But over time, at least going from my own experience. (So really the sample size is too small to be significant.) While decent to great gears in HF does not just drop \ get offered every 5 seconds. It does seem at least to me so far, that getting decent gear is noticeably easier compared to classic.

To use a Low armor class Rogue as an example. On average, on Classic it could take me anywhere from a month (rare) to 2+ months to outfit and raise a clvl 35+ LAR, equipped with some decent gear. (eg: Obsidian of whatever hat and shirt, bow of whatever drops\sale, and plain Heavens to Zod jewels.) On HF, given the same amount of time not only would I get similar or better gear, the increased vendor slots also gives me a chance to do it in less time. Key word here is chance, not a guarantee.

So when I said "much" easier I didn't exactly mean everytime a player starts a game, bam! Gris in HF offers you a KsoH. But it does become more noticeable over time that my HF characters are getting stuff that their classic counterparts can only dream of, or by slogging through more shopping \ laz runs. Or maybe my luck in classic is simply not that great compared to others. I mean after 3 years in classic, all I've been offered is a 2 handed KsoH? :)
I did go and buy a scratch off ticket but I only got 5 bucks out of it :P. By the way could you ellaborate on the shirotachi? Thats one item (on a long list of items) that I haven't heard much about. Could you also give me some insight on the grandfather? Hey I just remembered something! I forgot who said this but they were right, I found a mesherschmidts reaver (I know I spelled that wrong) lying on the ground in the town square when I entered a mp game on bnet. I picked it up and examined it, It's the best axe I have seen so far! As good as it was it just wasn't worth giving up my shield, besides I found it in town so I didn't trust it, and so I put it back down and walked off.

Nomad25055 B)

EDIT: I have been reading many of the old posts recently and came across an item that caught my attention Champion's sword of haste/speed qlvl 40, only sold by wirt, cannot be found. I would really appreciate any feedback on weapons with the champion prefix. Thanks! :rolleyes:
Quote:By the way could you ellaborate on the shirotachi? Thats one item (on a long list of items) that I haven't heard much about. Could you also give me some insight on the grandfather?

Or the guide, as the case may be. Downloadable and Online versions available.

Among other things, JG has an exhaustive section on item statistics. Given that, let's look at our two unique Great Swords.

The Grandfather
+5 all attributes, +20 life, +20% to hit, +70% damage, only requires one hand

All told, that's a piece of junk. In short, it's a Soldier's Sword of the Jaguar/Moon. Would you use that over a King's Sword of Haste? I wouldn't. Still, let's examine this ornamental thing affix by affix.

Warriors need one thing for higher difficulties: To Hit. Grandfather's +20% just doesn't cut it.

Damage, of course, is nice too. But here's the dirty little secret about damage: As long as you have stun damage, you have enough damage. Anything more is just icing on the cake. And since the bulk of character damage is from ability scores (at later levels), +Damage% enchantments don't make or break an item. Grandfather's bonus in this area is "eh," at best.

Moving on we have +HPs, +5 to All, and "Requires Only One Hand." 20 HPs? Boring. +5 to all? Boring. Only-one-hand? Oh, so you can use a shield with it. It still sucks.

Shirotachi
+6 lightning damage, penetrates target’s armor (half AC), fastest attack, one-handed

Now this is a neat sword. The lightning damage is just for show, but the rest is all action. In Hellfire, Penetrates Target's Armor is powerful; it acts as a ToHit modifier by wrecking enemy AC. Hit worries with this sword? No way.

Fastest Attack? Yes, please! Always a nice affix. Always.

But, oh no! It's a Great Sword -- two handed! Not so much, Requires Only One Hand comes into play and saves this sucker from the junk heap. All told, Shirotachi is a powerful ToHit Sword of Haste with stylish lightning hit damage.

Quote:Hey I just remembered something! I forgot who said this but they were right, I found a mesherschmidts reaver (I know I spelled that wrong) lying on the ground in the town square when I entered a mp game on bnet. I picked it up and examined it, It's the best axe I have seen so far! As good as it was it just wasn't worth giving up my shield, besides I found it in town so I didn't trust it, and so I put it back down and walked off.

Good move, but Messy's a junk axe. No ToHit bonus. You can't use a shield with it. And it's not fast.

Quote:I have been reading many of the old posts recently and came across an item that caught my attention Champion's sword of haste/speed qlvl 40, only sold by wirt, cannot be found. I would really appreciate any feedback on weapons with the champion prefix.

Champion's affix is one step weaker than King's. Some players like it because it's less pedestrian than a KSoH. Style counts. ;)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Nomad25055,Aug 14 2003, 11:34 PM Wrote:EDIT: I have been reading many of the old posts recently and came across an item that caught my attention Champion's sword of haste/speed qlvl 40, only sold by wirt, cannot be found.
Champion's weapon of Speed doesn't exist.

Champion's' qlvl: 40
Speed's qlvl: 19

Min (40, 19) < Max (40, 19)/2
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
>Shirotachi
+6 lightning damage, penetrates target’s armor (half AC), fastest attack, one-handed

>Now this is a neat sword. The lightning damage is just for show, but the rest is all action.

Damn straight. Shiro is my favorite sword in all of HF. Hell, the 2 hander stat (but one handed in reality) to me is just a big bonus on the durability. Granted there's dur+ oils, but a sword like that having 100 Dur points as a base model, is behry behry niiice.

But all this good reminiscing, sort of reminds me of a comment I've heard once. "What's the difference between D2 and D1? In D2, all the misconceptions of D1 are made true."
That Messy's Reaver is a perfect weapon! I once saw the following combination of gear on a sorcerer. You could try it, pretty effective I would say:

Gotterdamerung
Messerschmidt's Reaver
Naj's Light Plate
3 x Obsidian jewel of the Zodiac

What is your account name on b.net (and what realm)?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!