FF VIII Love
OK, so near as I can tell, in FF VIII you don't change weapons - you don't go from a Gunblade to a Gunblade +1 to a Vorpal Gunblade. Instead, the weapons each character starts out with can be upgraded if you have the right "junk" (and know what junk you need). So, Squall's starter gunblade + 2 M-Stones + 4 Screws (I think is the combination..) = a better gunblade.

This is a really cool way to do things, IMO. It makes alot of sense in the setting, as well (How many modern/scifi stories/games have you seen where the protagonist is continually getting better and better guns?).

Even better, I just recently got Qeutzacotl's Card Mod ability, so I can easily get some of the ingredients I need from the 160 or so cards I've collected. I suspect the next time I see a junk shop (I'm on the train in the Timber mission) I'll be able to upgrade 3 or 4 weapons at once. :D

Also, I hate Diablos. He beat the crap out of me before I knocked him out. :ph34r:

For Gaurdian Forces skills/abilities, I've been focusing on the item/magic refining choices, or the stat-junction ones. GF-specific abilities and Boost and such don't seem high priority, since I rarely use the GF command anyway. Although Diablos has me considering the Mug and/or Darkside abilities, even though they're so expensive...

I do have to say, though, that the FF plotwriters have a weird way of naming organiztions. AVALANCHE? Garden? SeeD? They can sure tell a story, though. :blink:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Aug 11 2003, 11:23 PM Wrote:Also, I hate Diablos.  He beat the crap out of me before I knocked him out. :ph34r:
Draw a spell from him, then use it against him ;)

IIRC, if you just draw-cast, he'll counter.

Never completed FF8, was playing it on my computer (ePSXe) when I had a bad hard drive problem that resulted in the loss of my C:\ partition (whoops, memory cards go byebye). I had guys very high level and just waiting to go to the last area. Alot of people hated it, but I enjoyed it myself. Most people said they hated Squall. I'm reminded that people most often hate others that remind them of themselves.

Someday I'll finish this game (have a PSX memory card save partly through).

Building up GFs I focus on their abilities and stat boosters. And the stealing abilities (always! every FF I need a theif!). Boost is nice, but gets tiring after awhile. I'm also very glad that FFX introduced shortened cutscenes for the summonings :P
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
One thing you can do about Diablos is to junction Blind to your Status Attack. I think GF Siren can learn it; can't really remember, it's been a while. Keep using your normal attack, and eventualy he'll go blind. He won't be able to hit you with his physical attack most of the time. His other attacks can't kill you. If he does hit you once in a blue moon, just use a phoneix down. I set the options to attack, item, draw, and GF. No need for magic; just drink potions. :P

Yep, despite the universal bashing it got, I loved the game. I beat it twice, and got to level 100 while drawing 100 of most of the uber spells. Yes, the plot was really badly designed, but hey. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote: Draw a spell from him, then use it against him

IIRC, if you just draw-cast, he'll counter.

Yeah, I figured that out. He actualy counters with Curaga ( :blink: ), so you take 25% of his life off, and he heals you for 2500+?!?

In any case, Squall was the only character who could reliably Draw in that fight (I guess ince Zell and Selphie's Magic stats were low..) so he got free healing the entire time, but the other two had to scramble for heals (and I even had to use a Phoenix Down on Selphie when Diablos bum-rushed her right after a Gravitas, argh).

On a side note, I used another 'Down on the boss in the Timber train, leaving me with 2 left. Since in FF VIII you only get cash in intervals as a salary (so it's relatively finite), I've beem saving all I could. What sort of things can/should I be buying?

Quote:I'm also very glad that FFX introduced shortened cutscenes for the summonings

Yeah, this would be nice too. GF scenes slow me way the heck down - it's a big reason why I don't use them much at all.

Quote: One thing you can do about Diablos is to junction Blind to your Status Attack. I think GF Siren can learn it; can't really remember, it's been a while. Keep using your normal attack, and eventualy he'll go blind. He won't be able to hit you with his physical attack most of the time. His other attacks can't kill you. If he does hit you once in a blue moon, just use a phoneix down. I set the options to attack, item, draw, and GF. No need for magic; just drink potions.

Man, I wish I had thought of that beforehand. That woulda come in very handy - and allowed me to take advantage of some darn cool limit breaks (go go Zell!).

I've been using Cure to heal (I have 300+ copies spread around) since I've been hesitant to spend gil. I'm a rank 17 (IIRC) SeeD agent and have something like 24k in my account, but I have this irrational certainty that as soon as I buy some Potions/Phoenix Downs and miscellaneous crap, something will come along that I'll need to buy but I won't have the money. Bah.

Oh yeah... Train hijacking = Mission Impossible-style coolness factor. OMG so cool..
Diablos is the only one who has the "encounter half" and "encounter none" you need on the Island closest to heaven/hell where you get most of your "ûber-spells". You also need it in the last location where you can meet any monster in the game.

I always use GF on bosses, and I like maxing out their skills.

The minute you get the Ragnarok airship, head to the desert on a southern continent. There's a very small island to the east of it, with a cactaur guardian force on it. There's also a secret island not showed on the map in the south-west corner of the map. You'll find two of the best GFs there. The all-time classic "Bahamut" and the most powerful GF in the game: "Eden".

Max out Squall. You'll be able to do 250.000 dmg in 1 attack ;)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Just like D2, money is worthless. Just spend it all. You get it from just walking around anyways. However, if you walk around too much without doing anything, you lose SeeD ranking! Buy the highest class of potion you can find and stock up on tents. Later on, you'll gain to ability to transmute... *cough*... I mean refine items into better stuff. I think upgrading weapons costs money, but it doesn't cost much. You'll also want to buy bullets for Irvine, if you ever bother using him.

Dump all low level spells (fire, blizzard, thunder) once you get the higher level spells (fira, blizzarga, thunderaga).

Holy crap, how did you get Seed Ranking level 17 so fast? I think i was level 10 when I beat the game the first time. :lol:

Oh yea, and never cast any offensive spell. I've tried casting spells with maxed out magic, and it still blows. Only two spells which you might find later does any noticable damage and it's hard to find either. What does this mean? Screw magic junction. It's your last prority. Cure spells will still be able to provide you even with a medicore magic rating. But it could help, when you have everything else at a decent level. Focus mainly on life and str junctions.

And btw, where are you in the game? I don't want to spoil anything. :P
Quote:Holy crap, how did you get Seed Ranking level 17 so fast? I think i was level 10 when I beat the game the first time.

Well, AFAIK the game lets you take a number of rank tests equal to your level. I was level 10 when I first got the option to take them (derail: how did you finish the game at level 10??) and I just took all 10 that it would allow me, since it lets you retry if you miss a question (although it doesn't tell you which one you missed...). I also got 6 ranks for "free" based on my performance in the fire cave and dollet, so I was rank 16 at level 10.

Quote:Dump all low level spells (fire, blizzard, thunder) once you get the higher level spells (fira, blizzarga, thunderaga).

Is there a limit to the amount of magic you can have/carry? Because I don't see a "drop" command anywhere...

Quote: Just like D2, money is worthless. Just spend it all. You get it from just walking around anyways. However, if you walk around too much without doing anything, you lose SeeD ranking! Buy the highest class of potion you can find and stock up on tents.

Yeah, I read that somewhere, so I've made sure not to wander or to try to powerlevel. I just go where the plot leads me, and leave when I'm done (after winning all the good cards in the area, muahaha).

So I should start buying potions, rather than using Cure/Curaga spells? I've trans-- refined a ton of cards and have some items I can further refine (into Water, Fira, Firas, etc) but I haven't yet because I'm not sure what else they may be good for (I know the M-Stones are for some weapon upgrades, and I used a whole bunch of items to learn Blue Magic for Quistis).

Oh yes, items that boost character/GF Compatability: Use them? Refine them into other stuffs?

Quote:And btw, where are you in the game? I don't want to spoil anything.

I'm in Timber. I've just helped Rinoa and the Forest Owls ( :unsure: ) hijack the President's train. But then it turns out he wasn't the president, but some weird body-double-melty-zombie type thing. Then we find out that the real President is going to be at the Timber TV station for some radio broadcast, so I'm making my way through the town to the Timber Maniacs building/hotel, which is apparently the only way to the station...

Oh, and quick question: I have Qeutzacotl, Shiva, Ifrit, Siren and Diablos, but there's an empty spot between Siren and Diablos. Did I miss a GF somewhere along the way? :(
Quote:Well, AFAIK the game lets you take a number of rank tests equal to your level. I was level 10 when I first got the option to take them (derail: how did you finish the game at level 10??) and I just took all 10 that it would allow me, since it lets you retry if you miss a question (although it doesn't tell you which one you missed...). I also got 6 ranks for "free" based on my performance in the fire cave and dollet, so I was rank 16 at level 10.

:P That was SeeD ranking 10, not level 10. However, it is actualy possible to beat the game at level 10. The enemies grow stronger as you level up. But you have to be at least level 30 to draw the better spells. Otherwise you'll fail constantly. (Did you have a hard time drawing from Diablos)

Quote:Is there a limit to the amount of magic you can have/carry? Because I don't see a "drop" command anywhere...

100 is the maximum for one type of spell. There's a limit to the total amount of spells too, although I can't remember. (Hint: all the pages are full) If your character is just too bogged down by spells, just give them for another member to hold. As for getting rid of spells, the option isn't on a menu. Just point the cursor to a spell, and press "square" I played it on the Pc, so I had to look it up, just right now. ;)

Quote:So I should start buying potions, rather than using Cure/Curaga spells? I've trans-- refined a ton of cards and have some items I can further refine (into Water, Fira, Firas, etc) but I haven't yet because I'm not sure what else they may be good for (I know the M-Stones are for some weapon upgrades, and I used a whole bunch of items to learn Blue Magic for Quistis).

At this point in the game, i think you're better off using potions. Later on, you will want healing spells as the potions begin to suck. You can save those potions to use after battle later on. And if you're in the overworld map, abuse those tents. The thing is, afiak, the potions are useful in some refining formula. But there's nothing really worth buying anyways. You might buy several of the item that cures all status ailments. (can't remember) Oh yea, G-hi potions are worth buying if you're guardian forces are dying. (Tents don't heal them)
Just remember, in most games, unspent money is wasted money.

If you already have curaga, it's probaly junctioned to something, so saving some cura/potions helps. In the late game, you'll find better junction spells than curaga, and you can mindlessly use it then.

Quote:Oh yes, items that boost character/GF Compatability: Use them? Refine them into other stuffs?
Do not use them. instead save them for refining. Go over your Gf's abilties, and check if they have any refining skills to learn.

Quote:
I'm in Timber. I've just helped Rinoa and the Forest Owls (  ) hijack the President's train. But then it turns out he wasn't the president, but some weird body-double-melty-zombie type thing. Then we find out that the real President is going to be at the Timber TV station for some radio broadcast, so I'm making my way through the town to the Timber Maniacs building/hotel, which is apparently the only way to the station...

Ah yes, the fake president, lamest monster in the game. Well, actualy undead monsters are lame in this game as they can be killed with potions and even phoenix downs.

Quote:Oh, and quick question: I have Qeutzacotl, Shiva, Ifrit, Siren and Diablos, but there's an empty spot between Siren and Diablos. Did I miss a GF somewhere along the way? 

You can't find that Gf yet, and you haven't missed any Gf's so far.

Oh yeah, if someone asks you to play Triple Triad by their rules, try to keep refusing until they stop insisting that. Sometimes that won't work, but it's best to avoid some those rules unless you somehow know how to exploit them.
All this FFVIII-talk is making me want to start up again...

But I have the PC-version, which has crappy midi-music compared to the playstation-version.

Favourite set-up of characters:

Squall (due to the 250k damage)
Rinoa (due to her auto-revive)
Quistis (due to her "limit breaks")

I've played through FFVIII several times, and not once have I gotten into the card game-thingie :)

When 1st stage spells (fire, blizzard, thunder, etc) are no longer needed, you can transmute them to a higher stage. Sort of like what we do with gems in Diablo2.

5 fire = 1 fira
5 fira = firaga

etc (not sure about the numbers, it's been a long time since I played.)

Upgrading the GFs is the favourite part of the game(play), "IMO."
WarLocke,Aug 12 2003, 03:07 AM Wrote:Oh yes, items that boost character/GF Compatability:  Use them?  Refine them into other stuffs?
The best way to make the compatability better is just to use the GFs and spells like the GFs (and not their opposites).

I had Squall with the best Ifrit compatibility simply by using him, and Shiva hated him ;)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
That's mean. I always use Shiva.. she's hot :) (.. if you get the little play on words there.. ;) )
Quote:Oh yeah, if someone asks you to play Triple Triad by their rules, try to keep refusing until they stop insisting that. Sometimes that won't work, but it's best to avoid some those rules unless you somehow know how to exploit them.
Yeah! I lost my Quistis card in Trabia trying to win Selphi's card (they have the Random rule). I didn't know then that they would relent and play by your rules after awhile. I eventually had to introduce enough new rules into Trabia so that I could get it back, and that took days. I love playing Triple Triad. I think I only had 8 Lvl 8-9 cards missing from my deck at the end.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]