Questions regarding builds
I'm looking for a build that will be fun to play as, and that will use items that can be easily found throughout the course of a game. After discussing it, I've come down to some possibilities:

A combination of a Rogue Reject that uses poison (Uses sword/bow combination, both socketed with either emeralds or the runeword "venom")

A Zookeeper Tank (Druid who is beefy enough in that he doesn't need to transform, who uses lots-o-summons and dabbles a little in elementals)

A Double-bladed barb (A barb who uses WW and Beserk)

I have already tried using the Barb idea, but have messed it up many times (Too low attack rating, too low vitality, etc.) so that's kind of out, but the other two seem fun. If anyone has any ideas, please leave feedback, such as new ideas, refinment on mine, etc. Also, please keep in mind I probably won't have access to unique items, only what would normally drop in the game.
Also, as far as mercenaries go, I was thinking of the tried-and-true holy freeze merc from act two....but ideas are appreciated.

Thanks much!

*EDIT

Thanks much for the feedback about mercs...

I was thinking of a way to somehow tie all of the different ideas into one, and bingo! I got it! Here we go....

Being the Daughter of a Navy Barbarian and Amazon couple, Randiela (couldn't think of anything else, so I just used everyone's favorite poison-spewing baddy, Andariel) experienced the harshness of the battlefield at an early age. Brought up to use both dual weapons and ranged attacks effectively, she soon grew well-recognized among the ranks of the Westmarch Navy. She soon outranked her parents, which caused a bitter feud among them. Cast out into the world, she wandered aimlessly from one platoon to the next, until the fateful day The Wanderer struck down Diablo. The very night Diablo had been vanquished, she was overcome with madness, and sent to the damp catacombs of the Rogue Encampment in Ensteig, in hope that she would someday return to her former glory. That was not to be, for over time, she developed an affinity for the damp, mold-like cells of the catacombs, and soon took the name Venom as her own.

However, all was not well. Diablo, believed to have been cut down by The Wanderer, was rumored to walk among the living once more.

Yada yada yada, you guys get the picture. However, I couldn't think of a way to tie in the rogue idea with the story, so I'm guessing she developed two personalities and the second manifested itself in a bow or something. (The act 1 merc). So what do you guys think? I know it's not as good as Occhi's story *nods head* but it seems sufficent. Opinions?

p.s. is this in the wrong place?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Beware of the Holy freeze merc. It can "wake up" monsters from off the screen, and it can do nasty things like speed up frozen creepers. :angry:
My whirlin, twirlin, yellin, jumpin Barbarian does the job in 1.10 pretty well, 2 great swords with a couple of sol runes and a perfect skull in each and you never need to buy potions, But then again ive been playing in SwampMod for 1.10, Might convert him back to normal 'Vanilla' D2 and see how he goes, Ulath will probably lose a couple of levels but thats not too bad, Might have to unsocket his armor first...

I find that just poring points into Double Swing until it becomes free (Level 12) youll get to the point where you hit 95% of the time. Add life stealing weapons and some points in jump and frenzy and you wont have to worry too much. Hope that helps, I'm a bit of a newb here so idiotic comments can be expected, lol...
Sounds like fun. Are you aiming at 1.09 or 1.10 and beyond?

Venom and perf emerald socketed bows do stack together.

You may want cloak of shadows for -DR to monsters in higher diffs.

If you find the runes for Venom, huzzah!

My rogue assassin debated between Tiger Strike and Phoenix Strike, and I thing Phoenix Strike ended up getting pionts it did not need. If I had to do it over again, I'd just max Tiger Strike and use the Bow to kill Physical Immunes.

Suggest Hexfire, or some other ITD weapon to release Tiger Strike charges with S / S.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete