Crafting Caster Boots
On Crafting Caster Boots: is it possible to get decent resist mods on Boots gambled by a level 81? What about Demonhide Boots? Wyrmhide Boots?

I'm asking this question because I never seem to get more than 10% res on crafted caster Boots. Plus I heard somewhere that only certain swords had high enough mlvl to roll cruel. So putting the pieces together leads me to ask the following question:

I thought mlvl was tied to the level of the monster that dropped the item or the level of the character who buys it from a vendor. Do items have some inherent mlvl cap?
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
mlvl is the notation for monster level. An item that's dropped will have an ilvl equal to the mlvl. Items that are bought have ilvl equal to clvl (character level) + 5. There's a cap on the ilvl of items bought in normal, but not in nightmare or hell. Items that are gambled have ilvl equal to clvl - 5 to clvl + 4 (randomly).

However, for calculating what affixes are possible on an item, you also have to take into account the qlvl. This number is the same for all items of a given type. For example, all boots (regardless of what stats they have and who found them where) have qlvl 3, all demonhide boots have qlvl 36 and all wyrmhide boots have qlvl 60.

If you gamble at clvl 81, the worst case ilvl would be 76. If you craft with the same character, the crafted item's ilvl will be 78.

However, it turns out that all three kinds of boots will still have an alvl high enough to allow the greatest resistance affix on boots: up to 40% to a single resist. So you were just unlucky.
adeyke,Aug 22 2003, 06:15 PM Wrote:However, for calculating what affixes are possible on an item, you also have to take into account the qlvl.  This number is the same for all items of a given type.  For example, all boots (regardless of what stats they have and who found them where) have qlvl 3, all demonhide boots have qlvl 36 and all wyrmhide boots have qlvl 60.

If you gamble at clvl 81, the worst case ilvl would be 76.  If you craft with the same character, the crafted item's ilvl will be 78.

However, it turns out that all three kinds of boots will still have an alvl high enough to allow the greatest resistance affix on boots: up to 40% to a single resist.  So you were just unlucky.
Thanks for your reply.

What is qlvl? What is alvl?

Why would the ilvl of the boots go from 76 to 78 upon crafting?
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
I'm not sure exactly what qlvl stands for. Quality level? It's just the level of a type of item. Items with a high qlvl drop later in the game.

alvl is the affix level. It's calculated from the ilvl and qlvl of an item. The affixes have an alvl requirement. The Ruby prefix (30-40% fire res), for example, spawns only on boots with alvl of 25 or higher.

The ilvl of a crafted item is equal to floor(clvl * .5) + floor(ilvl * .5). So if you're clvl 81 and have an ilvl 76 item as input, the ilvl will be floor(81 * .5) + floor (76 * .5) = 40 + 38 = 78.