Starcraft
I just recently got starcraft and it's a great game but I'm having some trouble. I've played a few of the campaigns and decided to try some custom games. But every time I start one, all the computer players gang up on me and I'm wiped out within minutes. The longest I've stayed alive was 9 minutes and 17 seconds. Some maps say to use the Use Map Settings to make teams and I think that would make things easier, but everytime I click on it all the computer players disappear so I can't start the game or even make the teams. Anyone know how to fix that or at the very least some strategy that will kepp me alive for more than 9 minutes?(I usually play Zerg)
But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted.
They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted."
But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall,
And her lover's gone into a white squall.
Close some of the computer slots so it's not 7v1. Even on bgh such games are difficult for the best players to win. (except with terran :) )
Good idea. I'm normally playing with about 6 or 7 computers because I thought they would attack each other. Instead they all come after me :ph34r:
Quote:I've played a few of the campaigns and decided to try some custom games.

Single Player campaigns are good for developing an understanding of unit abilities. But due to unusual start conditions SP is not good for learning multiplayer tactics. Use SP only to familiarize yourself with tech trees and how to use units. (It's also a great story.)

Quote:But every time I start one, all the computer players gang up on me and I'm wiped out within minutes. The longest I've stayed alive was 9 minutes and 17 seconds.

Don't fight so many enemies. Concentrate on 1v1 games. When you can handle one enemy, try vs another race. Try different tactics. When you're satisfied, try two enemies. Etc.

Concentrate on using one particular race until you're comfortable with it.

Develop a standard early build strategy you can use every game.

On most maps, no more than 4 workers/geyser is necessary.

With Terran/Protoss: Early game, building multiple workers at once is bad. Build *one* SCV/Probe at a time. It's a waste of time and minerals to que your Nexus to build 3-4 workers, completely draining minerals which you *could* have used to build 1 worker/1 Gateway (or whathaveyou). By the time the Probe finishes, you'll have enough to build the next one anyway.

With Terran: SCVs to repair bunkers (during attacks, not after!) are extremely important. 4 SCV per Bunker cluster usually works for me.

Don't scatter defense structures (Sunkens, Cannons, Bunkers). They work best in groups. Try setting them up so, should an enemy attack, all battlements can attack at once.

Learn what types of units can defeat defense structures.

Learn ground units first. They're the most basic. Then move on to Fliers and Mages.

The Computers already know where you are.

In Brood War, *detection* is extremely important.

Above all: vs Protoss -- watch out for High Templar! Psi Storm bad bad bad.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Hi there,

Nice to see that Starcraft is still up their with the best of them :). When you start a custom game 'IIRC' there are 3 types of games.

Melee - Everyone v You

Free For All - Everyone v Everyone (probably the one you are looking for)

Use Map Settings - Allows 'triggers' and many possibilities . . . (You should probably try this option when you are more familiar with the actual game.

I hope this has helped you, It's nice not to be the one asking the questions for once :)
3 choices? There's only 2 on mine. Of course I'm using patch 1.00 maybe that has something to do with it...
Use network LAN play, even though you have no one on your Lan. :) You can then set all the remaining slots to be computer. I like to play 8 player maps with free for all. You can set it up so that you get AI computer team members that way as well. 4 vs 4 is fun, as long as you are not the sole team member off in the middle of the enemy.

Strategy: The Starcraft AI always seems to go for early massing and then ground strike. They will build 2 or 3 barracks and mass all the ground units they can. Once they have reached a critical level of troop strength (usually right when they are starting to research/build for air power) they send 20-30 ground units off to find the enemy. What can you do? If you are Zerg, build sunken colonies, and I mean alot of them (like 10 - 12). Human? Build bunkers and set up cross fire, get tanks (at least 4) and research siege as early as you can. Protoss? Cannon farm, and not just a few. I mass 6-9 Photon cannon at each choke point. If you can with stand that first massive push you will have devastated all their early investment with little loss on your side. They also tend to get strung out and end up coming at you single file, so if you can build good cross fire in a funnel formation you can get 6 or more bunkers/cannon/sunken colony to bear on each unit.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

starcraft is an everlasting game, is'nt it? I swear I still see people at game stop and other game stores picking copies of it up, I wonder what the yearly income from SC alone is, does anyone know?
"If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" - Smile
Not only Starcraft, Diablo 2 LoD is still on the "hit" shelf at most computer stores around here (even though the price is now 50% less).
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
dudearonymus_32,Aug 23 2003, 08:37 PM Wrote:3 choices? There's only 2 on mine. Of course I'm using patch 1.00 maybe that has something to do with it...
1.08 included a new start option which you might be interested in: Top V. Bottom, in which you can split the players into two teams ranging from 1v7 to 7v1 and everything between. The players are perma-allied, meaning you cannot backstab your teammates, and Shared Vision is enabled by default. Otherwise, it just means less clicking at the start of a game.

The benefit? This is the only way (Unless you're playing a freaky UMS map) that you can be allied with computer players. The problem is that computer players tend to go for early rushes, so the game may be all over if you're slow off the mark, and you cannot order your comp partners around, but it's better than nothing if you want to get your build orders right in a situation where the pressure of being wiped out is very real but also coinciding with the reality that you might actually win.

Oh, and 1.10 does have some issues - Namely Zerg AI on island maps. They don't expand like they did prior to 1.10, and soon run out of resources and stagnate, but there's nothing wrong with 'Toss and 'Rren on such maps, and on other maps the Zerg can still pull the occassional (un)pleasent surprise.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hey, get brood war too! :P It's fairly inexpensive and adds more depth to the game. Make sure you download the latest patch too.

1.) Try not playing on "money maps," except for kicks. Money maps are maps with excessive minerals. (50,000 minerals per patch). Big game hunters is one example. They're occasionaly fun to screw around with, but you can't really get better playing them.

2.) Do not mass defensive structures. That will cost you the game, especialy against human opponents. That is because your enemy is free to expand and take the map, while you've just spend a chunk of money against an attack that may or may not happen. Try your best to build minimal defense and more actual units. Remember the objective of the game is to destroy your opponent, not make a pretty base. :)

3.) Make many workers. Never stop making them. I keep forgetting 10 minutes in the game. ;)

4.) Expand slowly but surely. Defend your expansions. Send a bunch of workers from your base to the expansions to mine.

5.) In original Starcraft (not brood war), you can easily crush the terrans with mutalisks. 3-4 sunkens is enough to hold off any early attacks.

6.) Make multiple hatcheries. that allows you to make more forces more rapidly. No need to make them all at once.

7.) If you have too much minerals, try your best to spend it all. If you can't, build another hatchery.

8.) Against Protoss, 2-3 sunkens and many zerglings should stop any rush. If it gets really ugly, you can surround your sunken colonies with drones, confusing the zealots. Later on, upgraded ultralisks and zerglings will be incredibly powerful.

9.) Use air units to sneak in your enemy's back door. Go for those workers! You can also use units in transports too.

10.) If you ever play against humans, beware of no.9 and keep an eye on your mining areas.

11.) Send a unit towards your enemy's base to see what they're doing now and then.

For more info, check out http://www.battle.net/scc as well as here
There's some good advice there.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Thanks for all the help guys :D I actually lasted 56:37 seconds once!
Hey,

Do you have the latest version of Starcraft? (1.10 patch) If so, you can save a replay of your game. In the screen where they show you your score, it'll be next to the "ok" button. If you want help, you could upload the replay here. :P This applies to anyone playing wc3 or Starcraft.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)