Schaefer's Hammer
I thought I'd seen every unique by now but a couple of days ago I picked up "Schaefer's Hammer", which I don't recall ever having seen before. This is an odd little number -

Schaefer's Hammer
-100% Damage
Lightning Hit Damage 1-50
Hit Points +50
Chance To Hit +30%
Resist Lightning 75% MAX
+10% Light Radius

Yes, that *minus* 100% damage. Huh? Then it's 1-50 lightning damage. I don't know much about this sort of stuff but I assume that means 1-50 dam against most monsters, but nothing from the weapon against lightning immunes (I might as well just kick them, in other words). Any explanation of this would be appreciated. But basically it looks like it's got great damage most of the time, good extra HPs, handy TH, great Lightning resist, Light Radius good or bad depending on how you play. With minus 100% damage... What a weird item.

Okay, I've almost always played Rogue so I have no real experience with hammers but I actually rather like this one. You know the barrels from which skeletons emerge when smashed? With this thing the blow that smashes the barrel also kills the skeleton half the time, a really neat effect I'd never seen before. I tried a non-magical hammer and didn't get the same effect so I don't know if it's just the 1-50 dam or a special effect of the SC but it's fun.

And that got me remembering other weird uniques. Torn Flesh of Souls, for instance. What is that graphic supposed to be? The Gotterdammerung and the Constricting Ring are like opposite ends of a weirdness spectrum; either no resists with ludicrously strong other powers or max resists but it saps the life out of you! So, any nominations for weirdest unique?

Mick.
The -100% damage should only affect the weapon's damage, your "character damage", as calculated by Strenght and level is not affected. I think the weapon need a large tohit bonus to effective though.

A little advice, it is not a good idea to talk badly about Torn flesh of Souls on this forum.
Mick,Aug 26 2003, 07:06 AM Wrote:This is an odd little number -....
That was the great thing about uniques in Diablo vs. DII. You had to make a choice to use them. In DII some of them have less than stellar bonuses, but very few, if any (IIRC), have penalties. In Diablo, there was always a catch that came with using the uniques. I ended up having to dump my veil of steel because I needed the mana. It's a great way of forcing strategy on players instead of having endless strugles for uber lewt.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thou hast bismirched the TFos! Remove thy comment, lest the Lemming himself doth lay his eyes upon it!

Uh, kidding. But be careful what you say 'bout the TFoS here. Some really love it, and I myself have found myself thankful for that... Thing.

Deadly Hunter. Hands down. Not only are you down 5 magic. Not only is the %ToHit crappy compared to the average Good Bow™, not only does the +200% Damage to Demons not work as one would expect, but it's also the second-rarest unique of the game, and sells for a piddly 2000+ GP.

Incidentally, what are it's stats in HF:Fixed, as this player will never know of it's glorious crappiness.

Ring of Regha sucks monkey nuts too, but that at least has a cool item graphic.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:With this thing the blow that smashes the barrel also kills the skeleton half the time, a really neat effect I'd never seen before. I tried a non-magical hammer and didn't get the same effect so I don't know if it's just the 1-50 dam or a special effect of the SC but it's fun.

It's Schaefer's Lightning damage. The lightning attack is applied as a separate, one-tile attack. When barrel-bashing, the lightning attack intercepts the emerging skeleton and *bzzt!*

Quote:Torn Flesh of Souls, for instance. What is that graphic supposed to be?

TFoS is what it's supposed to be.

Quote:The Gotterdammerung and the Constricting Ring are like opposite ends of a weirdness spectrum; either no resists with ludicrously strong other powers or max resists but it saps the life out of you! So, any nominations for weirdest unique?

Ill-conceived uniques

Karik's Ring (Hellfire): -30 Magic, +60 Vitality
Obviously built for the Barbarian, but he absolutely can't use it unless he's wearing +30 Magic! (Items that would turn a stat negative will turn red if you try to equip them.) What Barb wants to waste enchantment slots on +Magic just to use this ring? Granted he could use +All to accomplish that, but it's really not worth the hassle.

Amulet of Warding (Hellfire): -100 Life, +40% Resist All
A perfect Obsidian Amulet does the same thing without the loss of life. Who'd use it anyway? Young Mages, Rogues, Bards, and Monks don't have the life to spare. Warriors and Barbarians might do alright, but -100 life for characters who get hit all the time? That sucks.

Acolyte's Amulet (Hellfire): 50% base mana moved to life
Who benefits from extra life? Warriors and Barbarians, mostly.
Who doesn't have mana to spare? ...warriors and barbarians, mostly.
This is useful to...?

The Defender: 5 AC, +5 Vit, -5% ToHit
You'll need that extra AC/Vit cushioning to survive the extra hits you'll take on account of your extra whiffing.

Hammer of Jholm: indestructible
It's so crappy it deserves to be smashed to pieces... but you can't.

The Celestial (Anything): no strength requirement (etc.)
...because these fantastic weapons are so hard to use anyway, Blizz thought they'd make it easier on you. Lucky dog.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Code:
9c 14 4a 00 03 03 06 00 2e 22 00 00 45 00 00 00
0a 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00
14 00 00 00 56 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00
4a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 36 00 00 00
01 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 2c 00 00 00 db 00 00 00
00 00 00 00

*g*

It's got one attribute that will make it valuable to a low AC rogue...

Does attribute "36" actually work in Diablo? I can't remember what uniques ever used it that anyone actually used...

Selby
Quote:Does attribute "36" actually work in Diablo? I can't remember what uniques ever used it that anyone actually used...

I'm fairly sure it was only ever used in mods. I believe it worked in VKME, but I don't know if they did something to make it work or if it was already functional.

Quote:It's got one attribute that will make it valuable to a low AC rogue...

Yeah. I figured it needed something interesting since the rest of it sucked so badly. Rather significant trade-off if someone insists on using it as their primary weapon, but definitely a boon for cough Rogues.

Selby,Aug 27 2003, 02:12 AM Wrote:It's got one attribute that will make it valuable to a low AC rogue...

Does attribute "36" actually work in Diablo?  I can't remember what uniques ever used it that anyone actually used...

Selby
I think it works OK. It is after all checked for in relevant places. The effect of it works, since we know that from the faulty fire arrows.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hello Lemming,

I see a few problems with this Deadly Hunter. AFAIK, the extra damage vs. Demons still doesn't work for missiles, and so does Peril. If you want the Vileness to work, you will have to correct the bug that triggers the effect for Firearrows instead of Vileness 'arrows' (it works fine otherwise, but not for missiles).

This fix is:

file offset 0002E8F4

:0042F4F4 F684184155000010 test byte ptr [eax+ebx+00005541], 10
change into
:0042F4F4 F684184155000001 test byte ptr [eax+ebx+00005541], 01
Quote:Zenda:
I see a few problems with this Deadly Hunter.

Quote:From HFF Readme:
In Classic Diablo, Blizzard created Deadly Hunter. It is, by far, the most unfortunately bugged bow in D1 and HF. Had its +200% Damage vs Demons affix worked DH would've been the Civerb's Cudgel of bows. If that wasn't insult enough, it was cursed by the God of Inept Unique Drops and became the rarest item in the game (next to Staff of Shadows). Bugged in functionality and nigh-impossible to drop, what can be done for it now? Well, let me tell you: Now its buggedness has been taken to whole new heights!! Can YOU spot the number of non-working affixes on Deadly Hunter? Find it and find out!

Congrats! You spotted them all!

Thanks for the replies. I mean no disrespect to the Torn Flesh of Souls :) In fact, I mainly use 'weird' as a term of endearment, as for Schaefer's Hammer. TFoS is simply the uniquest unique, and that's very unique. But you lost me with the Deadly Hunter and the code stuff. I think I picked up Deadly Hunter with the character I'm currently playing - and didn't even use it.

Now, as for my *favourite* unique, as usual it's the one I want at the moment - Royal Circlet.

Mick.
It sure is one brilliant helm, but the +10 'light radius' always bugs me.
And, IMHO, once you get used to the increased light radius (10%), which is usually by the next dungeon level, it never bothers you again. I mean, it's not like you're taking the RC on and off every dlvl. When my rogue found it, it stayed on her head till she started venturing in Hell 16. A helm of the whale was simply more useful against packs of advos.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
I've never found small increased Light Radius a problem. It feels a little weird at first but where the monsters are nasty enough for it to matter I'd be using Stone Curse and bow anyway, so it isn't much of a deal.

Mick.