Warning
Upgrading unique weapons seems to increase the level requirement beyond what one would expect for the base item type. For example, upgrading Stormeye made it require level 30, although Divine Sceptres are 25. Furthermore, upgrading Spire of Honour makes it level 73 as opposed to 66. As such, I think it would be safe to compile a list of required levels of upgraded normal/exceptional uniques so as to avoid nasty surprises like I got when I upgraded the Spire shortly after my merc hit 72...

That level sucked, so sayeth The Hermit.

"My shadow's shedding skin, I've been picking my scabs again." Tool - Forty-Six and Two

Edit - 35, not 30. Duh.
Umm... Doesn't the Stormeye require level 30 even in its normal form?

Anyway, that doesn't answer question about Spire of Honor... But a thought comes to mind. Exceptional version (lance) requires lvl 25 to be used, but the unique Spire of Honor requires level 39. Thus there are some additional levels required for a unique version of the lance. So perhaps this additional level requirement is being partially added to the base level requirement of the War Pike somehow? I'm really not sure here, but if anything, I am surprised that the level requirement for the unique elite version is not higher then 73, since exceptional Spire of Honor unique requires 14 levels more then it's exceptional non-unique counterpart, and the elite Spire of Honor requires only 7 levels more then it's elite non-unique counterpart.

It would be great if someone could look into cube recipies file and actually produce the real formula that calculates the level of the new unique.
This is accounted for by the levelreq in cubemain.txt and was known for some time in the AB.

In pseudo-code, the new level requirement can be expressed as this:
max(level_requirement_of_new_base_item, level_requirement_of_unique) + level_requirement_adder

The level_requirement_adder is +5 with a normal exceptional upgrade and +7 with an exceptional to elite upgrade. These are cumulative, so a normal to elite would get +12.

*points to links in sig*
Quote:Umm... Doesn't the Stormeye require level 30 even in its normal form?

Meant 35 as exceptional, sorry.