New Names/New Uniques
Greetiings, all.

I'm making a request to all and sundry (regs and newbs alike). I've been playing around with creating a new "Unique items" list for Classic Diablo, changing all the existing Uniques.

I'd love to hear from everyone regarding names of Unique items they'd like to see. Much of this can be historically or mythologically based.

Some examples:

Armors:

Shroud of Turin
Merlin's Robes
Loki's Mantle
Cape of Heracles
Achilles Shield

Weapons:

Thor's Hammer
Michaelangelo's Mallet
Wand of Merlin
Occam's Razor
Maxwell's Hammer
Shiva
Bow of Odysseus
Diana's Bow
The Amazon

We are talking Armors, Hats, Shields, Swords, Clubs, Axes, Staves, Bows, and Jewelry. _Everything_!

If you only have a name, well and good. If you have names that go with specific items, great, include both. If you have specific effects/spells/attributes that you feel should accompany the item, please feel free list 'em also.

My knowledge of Norse, Hindu, Central American, North American, Middle Eastern and Far Eastern mythologies is very weak. Anything you can add in _ANY_ area -- would of course be great. And please give background info where it would help.

Think also historical figures, peoples, eras -- King Arthurs, Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, Leonidas, Hannibal, Pyrrus, Goths, Visigoths, Vandals, etc.

And of course you can just include names that sound cool, like Trollbasher, Ogreshank, Giantgutter, Batbite, etc.

This is merely for fun and may come to nothing at all; just looking for some input.

Thanks to all who participate.

Attika
Just off the top of my head...

A sword called 'Excalibur', obviously. 25-50 base damage, +200% damage, +200% To Hit, two handed but adds the same blocking as a fastblock shield, has haste, +30 to all attributes, Max resists. Requires 100 Strength and reduces AC by 50%.

How about 'The Midas Ring' - every gold value doubles when in your inventory. That is, if you're wearing the ring when you pick up 80 gold pieces from a drop it becomes 160. If Gris will give you 2500 gold pieces for an axe you've found then once you've accepted it becomes 5000 in your inventory. Useless for character and battling nasties but very handy for cranking Gris, Wirt and Adria. And all your pots go gold too.

'Robin Hood's Bow' - it shoots around corners! You place the cursor at either of the two diagonal squares radiating from a corner and the arrow zips around that corner on whichever of those two parallels you've indicated. Okay, I'm dreaming...

'Loki's Beard' - an amulet that turns you into whatever monster-type you first encounter on a level; other monsters of that type get activated but don't recognise you're an enemy.

'Falstaff's Staff' - it turns you into a portly wisecracking old buggar and has 100 charges of alcoholic poisoning.

Mick..
Mick,Sep 6 2003, 08:57 PM Wrote:How about 'The Midas Ring' - every gold value doubles when in your inventory. That is, if you're wearing the ring when you pick up 80 gold pieces from a drop it becomes 160. If Gris will give you 2500 gold pieces for an axe you've found then once you've accepted it becomes 5000 in your inventory. Useless for character and battling nasties but very handy for cranking Gris, Wirt and Adria. And all your pots go gold too.
I see a problem in it, what if you drop the gold? You could then pick it up again, unless you put a limit that only doubles each goldpile once.
Excalibur would have to have two key attributes: lightning damage and life steal. Excalibur-->Caliburn-->Caladbolg--->"Hard Lightning". That, and the scabbard by which the wearer loses no blood (hence the lifesteal, the closest interpretation short of turning on some invincibiity hack).
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Don't forget comics! If you've been reading Spiderman lately, you have

"Exoskeleton" - full plate

okay *sob!* it's a stupid comic anti-hero!

umm, how about:

Joandarc - a broad sword! heh

BTW, I like "Maxwell's Hammer" -- in D2 I have a pally named MaxwellEdison -- guess what his specialty is??

and hmm, shouldn't it be "Mickey's Mantle"?? HAW HAW *snort*

How about The Messiah, a flail good against monsters found in Church?

or Mercury's Heels ... oh, darn, no boots in D1... Mercury's Orbit, similar to royal circlet only it provides "of haste" to weapons (can a helm give that ability?)

The Precious - a ring of darkness that helps with casting "golem" of course!
In order for an item to be able to hold charges, it must have a base item type of a staff. The throw (ground) grahpic and inventory graphic can be anything. In order to be able to use the charges, however, the item must be equipable on the right hand and may be one-handed. I suppose it may be possible to change to code so it checks for a staff with a spell charge in all equipable slots, but I wouldn't know.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Phredreeke says, re the Midas Ring:
I see a problem in it, what if you drop the gold? You could then pick it up again, unless you put a limit that only doubles each goldpile once.

Heh, everincreasing gold just by dropping and picking up the same pile - I see what you mean. But you could make it that the increase only lasts as long as it's in your inventory or is used to trade with Gris, Wirt or Adria - if you drop your gold it halves when it leaves your grasp. But if you throw out 5000 gold - bam, it shows up on the ground as 2500.

Mick.
Hi Rhydderch,

I'll take your word on Excalibur's attributes because I only vaguely recall the detail; enough that what you say rings a bell, but that's the limit of my knowledge. I wasn't aware of the etymology behind the word Excalibur.

I was trying to reflect the overall story of Arthur. Very strong - so high required strength. Great warrior - so wonderful general attributes for fighting. A great personal weakness - so one huge hole in AC.

Mick.
Tai's Bow :) (Anyone who was there at the time remember who came up with that suggestion? I think it was Sabra)

Occam's Razor - The simplest solution to any problem is often the most correct (Or something to that effect) Hah, yes. I've heard of it before, but I only had a name attached to that little piece of philosophy yesterday, believe it or not. Let's not even get into the Shroud of Turin.

I'll try and help, when my muse gets back from her vacation, but otherwise the best I have to offer at the moment are some pointless non sequiters.

Most of my inspiration in recent times has come from Japanese language, so maybe you should find a site with a listing of various kanji and have yourself a party. I once was working on some BGII custom katanas for my dual-wielding kensai with the names "Ten" (lit. Heaven) and "Jigoku" (lit. Hell), a nice pair of names I think you'll agree.

Otherwise, another little name that I've found though playing Resident Evil 3 is Paracelsus's Sword. Look up Theophrastus Bombastus "Paracelsus" von Hohenheim in any book on alchemy and maybe cook up a weapon with some curative abilities, or stretching out the link that in biblical times most diseases and illnesses were attributed to demons maybe get something with some good anti-demon modifiers.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Boomstick: Staff with, among other things, some really kickass Fireball charges. Make the graphic of that of a shotgun.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
The Leveller of Men - Staff (Or Axe, take your pick), uses the unused scythe inventory/cursor graphic (Uh, though I think that might be in the Hellfire file, perhaps it's possible to take it out and insert it into a Diablo file...)

Dunno what you want to make of it, perhaps a staff with Apocalypse charges. Incidentally, am I the only person here that was cheesed off at the weapon part of the D2 set "Death's Guise" being a sword rather than a scythe?

Witchwing - Bow, 0 damage, fires Blood Stars like Flambeau and Blitzen fires Fireballs and Lighting respectively. Unless this isn't possible in Diablo.

Sunstroke - Sword, enhanced damage, fire damage, +40% lr, "constricts" (i.e. drains Life when equipped) - Too hot to handle :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi,

this comes to mind

Balmung

Porca
Mick,Sep 6 2003, 07:57 PM Wrote:A sword called 'Excalibur', obviously. 25-50 base damage, +200% damage, +200% To Hit, two handed but adds the same blocking as a fastblock shield, has haste, +30 to all attributes, Max resists. Requires 100 Strength and reduces AC by 50%.
Hmm, don't you think that would be too much for an item? It has all of the most important attributes needed for melee combat... I think it would be nonsense to fight with something like that, all monsters would die after one swing and they wouldn't even hit you! It reminds me of the cheated stuff like "Diablo Sword" - dmg 255-255, +255% dmg, +255% cth, +255 to all attributes, ... :P and this is a forum form legit players as far as i know ;)
--

kEMpEs(A)

ex: GbS, SR, KGB, EPI
Hey yeah, that Diablo Sword could be useful, I'm hopeless at melee.

Seriously, I tried to make 'Excalibur' about as good as I could imagine without quite making it so good it'd render the game pointless. I wanted it to be a unique that was better than a KSoH, a bit like a Gott having fantastic AC and attributes, but with the null resists being a handicap. (Hey! A cap called 'The Handicap'! Negative resists! It actually *attracts* magic, lightning and fire!)

The 50% dent in your AC is a fair bit, don't you think? And +30 to all stats isn't quite the same as a hacked +255, and 25-50 dam is again a factor of ten away from 255. I think the beneficial figures I used are within the scope of various other uniques (hmm, except I wasn't as confident on that with the ToHit). I was also thinking that it should only be dropped in Hell/Hell and maybe Hell/Caves, but I don't know if the game mechanics allow that.

Generally, I don't know a lot about the game and I've never played a warrior above about clvl10, so I can accept that I've under- and over-estimated.

And yes, AFAIK this forum is generally for legit players (I've only been here a little while). 'Legit' does differ though. Some people here will remember very lengthy, and sometimes heated, discussions on what is or isn't legit. You could probably find some links on that through the Links section, or maybe some kind soul with better memory than mine will provide some.

Mick.
I'd say high AR on that one :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
AR? :)

I think you mean increased chance to hit...
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Well, although you already have a "Cape of Heracles", the "Club of Heracles" would be equally implementable. A "Herculean Sword" could administer high fire damage, a la the hydra, with a "prevents healing" modifier...

Hmmm.... what else.... Bunyan's axe? With blue cows? And when you chop at the tree in the cemetary three times, a cheesy green beanstalk flies up into the clouds which you climb in order to gain massive amounts of coinage and direct access to 'warp' to level 16?
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Really hopeless at moding...leave only the names at your full disposal
Solomon's Ring
Werewolf's Talons(a pair of daggers?maybe...)
Damn...really short of time and ideas...
Mick,Sep 10 2003, 07:41 AM Wrote:Seriously, I tried to make 'Excalibur' about as good as I could imagine without quite making it so good it'd render the game pointless.
I take it you didn't consider LAWs? Because your Excalibur would make the game much easier for them.

EDIT: Re-worded the second sentence.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
From Norse mythology :

Thor’s hammer was called Mjollnir.

Freya had a golden necklace, the Brisingamen or Brising’s necklace. The necklace was said to be an emblem of the stars or of the fruitfulness of the earth. The necklace enhanced Freya's beauty so much that she wore it day and night.

Freya also possessed a feather coat / falcon robe called Valhamr which enabled her to fly.

Frey had a magic, invincible sword which “swings itself if wise he who wields it”. Don’t know its name, though.

Odin had magic ring called Draupnir. The ring was a source of endless wealth, since each ninth morning it had spawned eight more gold rings just like itself (but without the spawning ability).
Sometimes present, sometimes veiled - death is always on your trail